Off Topic Piscifun reels

jrr

Curious if anyone has been using the Piscifun reels -- I already bought 2 of the carbon X for my Ugly Stik perch/pike/whatever rods so I will find out how they are. Out of the box they are very good. I had poked around a few fishing stores and not much felt like this at the price.

The name is silly but after getting a pair of their pliers in the fall I thought I would give it a try.

Last edited:
I bought one to try. Used it once and sent it back. It worked okay, just felt cheap. Could really tell when casting. I would say it was about the same quality as the BPS/Remmington/Johhny Morris overpriced crap, but certainly cheaper feeling than Shimano.

I'd agree you get like a $90 reel for like $50, so they're a decent value.

Last edited:
I bought one to try. Used it once and sent it back. It worked okay, just felt cheap. Could really tell when casting. I would say it was about the same quality as the BPS/Remmington/Johhny Morris overpriced crap, but certainly cheaper feeling than Shimano.

I'd agree you get like a $90 reel for like $50, so they're a decent value.
I bought their $90 reel... kept the boxes. Hope to give it a try this week. It feels really solid, not cheap at all.

I can't use those... properly. Probably need to buy an expensive one.

@jrr I had troubles using a bait caster until I watched video instructions how to use them.
getting better everytime I use it now.
You need to make adjustments to the breaks with different weighted lures after tying them on.

They really only work for heavier lures. For anything light or finesse I go back to the spinning gear. For casting stickbaits or spinnerbaits or crankbaits can't beat the extra casting distance and accuracy of a baitcaster. I picked up a baitcaster as a teenager, at first it was frustrating but I never put it down and now just feels natural.

Casting wise -- i have no issues with distance with my spinning reels but I don't fish bass on purpose. My float rod was fun to learn... Fly rod... I want to get a spey rod and then there is no need to cast trolling. If I ever target bass I will give it the time it takes to learn.

Casting wise -- i have no issues with distance with my spinning reels but I don't fish bass on purpose. My float rod was fun to learn... Fly rod... I want to get a spey rod and then there is no need to cast trolling. If I ever target bass I will give it the time it takes to learn.
And even then you can still fish bass with a spinning reel 🙄

And even then you can still fish bass with a spinning reel 🙄
True but the lack of accuracy is annoying. I could hit a dartboard with a lipless crank from 30 yards away with a baitcasting rod. Spinning your lucky if even goes in the right direction. Bass fishing relies on staying close to cover so with a baitcaster I'm putting my lure 6" away from the weed line, with a spinning rod I'm putting my lure 6' into it.

I still use spinning for bass too, mostly dropshot, jigs, senkos or dragging tubes.

True but the lack of accuracy is annoying. I could hit a dartboard with a lipless crank from 30 yards away with a baitcasting rod. Spinning your lucky if even goes in the right direction. Bass fishing relies on staying close to cover so with a baitcaster I'm putting my lure 6" away from the weed line, with a spinning rod I'm putting my lure 6' into it.

I still use spinning for bass too, mostly dropshot, jigs, senkos or dragging tubes.
I suppose it is a preference? I am very accurate with my spinning rod but I spent my youth in rivers around the Soo casting around all kinds of stuff. Probably spent more time doing that then my kids spend on the PS.

I will give a bait caster a serious try some day and see if I could do better with it.

In case you need more convincing to open the wallet: Casting reels also handle thicker line better than freshwater-sized spinning reels, there are zero issues with line twist because the line comes straight on and off, and with practice it's easier to get a soft entry on your cast (no splash) which can be a good thing.

Casting for spring pike is a perfect time to learn! :cool:

I've noticed that too but I can't get my head around why.
Very simple - velocity of the lure you are casting is much higher with open face spinning tackle. level wind gear tosses the lure at a slower speed. More control. Less splash.

Very simple - velocity of the lure you are casting is much higher with open face spinning tackle. level wind gear tosses the lure at a slower speed. More control. Less splash.
Can't you just flick and toss different to slow it down? Some innuendo there too.

I did get to use the reel. One had 10lb braided line, the other had too much 20lb braided. Both worked brilliantly. I just loved it. The 10 yr, who has not learned how to cast with spinning reels, had no problem learning in about 2 min. I need to offload the 20lb on to a different reel... 10lb is enough for this reel and rod. It is the Carbon X 2000. Looks great too.

IMG_1472.JPG

Impact speed determines splash, and that speed has two components: horizontal and vertical.

Casting gear lets you easily bring the horizontal component to zero at touchdown by thumbing the spool. Vertical component is harder to control, but with practice, sidearm or underhand casts can be kept very low to the water, reducing the vertical distance the lure ‘falls’ and thus reducing vertical speed at touchdown. Over short distances with a fairly long rod (think flipping/pitching), the vertical speed can be further reduced by precisely stopping the bait with your thumb, relying on a little momentary centrifugal action (pendulum), and easing the bait into the water with your rod tip. Easy to type, but hard to master.

Technically, all of the same can be done with spinning gear (feathering with off-hand vs. thumb) but it’s much more clumsy. Different tools for different jobs.

Want a reel challenge? 😁 Flip some baits with a centerpin and try to control the splash down.

Reactions: jrr
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks