Pike/perch and avoiding bass?

Jello

Friday is looking good weather wise and I'm going to escape from Dover. Was looking to fish the inner Bay for pike or perch but when I was there Saturday we were pretty much picking up bass constantly. We were trolling about 6-8' of water using large body baits and mepps musky spinners out by the cottages and a couple drop offs I know of.

Without asking for anyones hot spots, where should I be looking for pike on the inner Bay? Meaning, was I too shallow, deep, etc? I may try for perch too, but I have an idea on where they hold up.

At this time of the year its unavoidable. Try going deeper... but in the bay you will still run into them, especially Smallies. Release them quickly without a net and keep them in the water if you can. South of EC10 and 5 has been good for perch. Good luck

Remember this is the same fish population that is quite fish able all year just a few miles south of there. No closed season in most states including Ohio new York etc. It has been proven countless times fishing catch and release does no harm to resident bass populations, so if you happen to hook one get it back safety and no harm. Done.There are major tournaments all over the states year round with no ill affects, in fact it brings in huge tourist $$ . There have been millions and millions of $$ spent on this research state side to prove this. Up here we are just behind the times 50 years because it's low on the priority list.

Remember this is the same fish population that is quite fish able all year just a few miles south of there. No closed season in most states including Ohio new York etc. It has been proven countless times fishing catch and release does no harm to resident bass populations, so if you happen to hook one get it back safety and no harm. Done.There are major tournaments all over the states year round with no ill affects, in fact it brings in huge tourist $$ . There have been millions and millions of $$ spent on this research state side to prove this. Up here we are just behind the times 50 years because it's low on the priority list.

Say it's not true, behind the US? Yep.

Try Bluff Bar for Pike. I'm not positive exactly where it is in the bay, more like the Elbow I think. And yes go deeper. The Bass are spawning in the shallows here (Selkirk) as we speak.

Ok thanks. I'll give that a go. The problem with the bass was we were getting 2 or more every pass and no pike other than a small one lost at the boat. Not that the kid didn't appreciate the constant action, but out of season fish aren't the target.

Personally I believe if you pull a female off a nest, perch ,rock bass and so on eat the eggs or fry before she gets back to protect them.......JMO.

I don,t think the bass are spawning yet we have caught quite a few and no sign of the spawn and I think that is why the sanctuary starts on Sunday Was out today in the channel and caught 4 pike some bass and about 25 perch ,was a nice day

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks