Pike jigs?

Jello

Anyone else bored and online tackle shopping? Lol.

I'm looking around for some pike jigs (bucktails). Something on the big'ish side. For fishing the bar or inner bay. I found these Mustad jigs https://mustad-fishing.com/product/beb?color=Red/White

They get larger in over all size as you go up in weight. I was thinking of paring a 3/4 to 1 oz with some sort of trailer.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
For the Outer Bay, white and silver seem to work well. My theory, which is mine and no one else's, is that you are matching the hatch out there... maybe mimicking smelt?

I have had incredible luck with pike while dragging a tube in the outer bay for SM. Now that Stomp brings it up... yea while/silver flake seems to be the ticket.

Yeah! I've been using jigs to target Pike in the Bluff Bar area for 40 years. Smelt often spawn near the Bar and it's easy to simulate a dying smelt with a white jig. I normally use HD salt water 3/8 ounce jig hooks that I order from Pro Bass on-line but lighter wire varieties we can buy locally also work, just not as well. With respect to plastic tails, 6" tails usually work well but you are better off with 8" tails if you're not interested in smaller fish. Actually jigging is not a great strategy if your goal is to catch large pike. Another tip, if we have a major dye-off of smelt the jigging technique doesn't work very well. Not sure why not and the reason may simply be that the pike have moved to different area to feed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks