Pike - Inner Bay & Bluff Bar - Friday, May 1st

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We started in the Inner Bay. The fishing was good but millions of tiny flying insects where hatching and we decided to abandon that strategy and head for Bluff Bar where cooler water temperatures would not support the insects hatch. We caught 4 pike in the Inner Bay, all 4 to 5 pounds in less than an hour. Water temp was 50F.
We fished 2-3 hours at Bluff Bar catching 18 pike between 3 and 7 pounds, all on jigs. We used spoons in the Inner Bay. The water temp there was 46-49F. We also caught a small musky.

I plan on heading down to longpoint in the morning, just wondering if anyone else is going out to bluff bar tomorrow? I have never been out there. I know my dad fished it all the time but unfortunately he passed before being able to show me so if anyone is heading out there is there a map or anything to show me how to get out there? Or would someone let me follow them out there I won't slow you down my boat will do 35 mph?? I know it's a long shot but never hurts to ask I guess

There is Albert....no white shirt yet....but I can live with the white hat he is wearing ;)
Very nice report as always Arnie...those pike can't wait all winter for you to show up and they are now practically jumping inside your boat ha ha:sneaky:

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Very nice catch Arnie. You and Albert always have great success on pike and a small musky is always a pleasant surprise. Question, there seems to be alot more muskie showing up lately, now my Dad and fishing partner who has fished Long Point Bay before I was born has always said there is no reason the bay should not hold Muskie. Do you think these Muskie have always been in the bay?? I cant remember the year but I do remember Bruce Mitchell helping a lady catch a 4o lb muskie from the bluffs. Your in sight on this would be appreciated.

You trolling for the pike and muskie or drifting and casting?
Very nice catch Arnie. You and Albert always have great success on pike and a small musky is always a pleasant surprise. Question, there seems to be alot more muskie showing up lately, now my Dad and fishing partner who has fished Long Point Bay before I was born has always said there is no reason the bay should not hold Muskie. Do you think these Muskie have always been in the bay?? I cant remember the year but I do remember Bruce Mitchell helping a lady catch a 4o lb muskie from the bluffs. Your in sight on this would be appreciated.

Hi Kirk, Historically we had more musky than pike in the Inner Bay but that was long before our time. I read that things changed after the Causeway was built. I really don't understand what if anything has changed but there seems to be a resurgence in the musky population. There were always a few and I do remember the fish you mentioned. I typically catch one every other season but pike anglers who focus on the Inner Bay are getting several. I've yet to catch a big one here in LPB but I have seen a few in the 20-30 pound range. Getting them to bite on baits designed for smaller pike is a problem. A musky jig is huge.

You trolling for the pike and muskie or drifting and casting?
TMAN, We rarely troll for pike. Our strategy of choice is to pitch jigs. Although it is not the best strategy to catch large pike, it is effective and makes catch and release a lot easier.

Strait Line Anglers Pike Tournament - May 2nd at hosted at Sandboy Marina, Long Point - Beautifull day was fun for all and a great success. The LPBA live release boat was there to keep fish alive and transport them back to inner bay. Was also noted that about 11 Muskie were caught and released.

Wow guys thats some good stuff! I hit Mitchell s bay yesterday in hopes for a pike or two and a cooler of perch but couldnt keep the smallies off the hook all like 2-5 lbs saw some small pike caught by others came home with only three perch . Bluffs sound like a good time gonna have to try sometime been like five yrs

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks