Perchin' w/ Big Dave, July 29

I'm pretty sure the mnr can charge ya with every single fish over the limit,the price is prob a 100$ + each fish because every fine is at least 100 and up. My dad and I had our haul of perch counted at the boat ramp in dover. Mr mnr got his bear hands wet and counted every perch,my pops reminded him he didn't need a fishin license because he was a senior citizen,ah that was funny,white haired pops tellin authority bout judgement. Mnr asked him first then realized pops had santa colored hair:D

Jim was man enough to stand up and take the charge.

It might have been different had it been 3 adults but a 9yr old kid was wondering how he was going to pay his 1/3rd.

Way to go MNR![V]

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

it is to bad that he got charged for a miscount but once the co counted the fish and seen the mistake he had little choice but to charge them remember that is his job and what he gets paid for. Also as for commercial fishery I am not really a big fan of theres but people that can't aford a boat or a charter should be able to eat lake erie perch also.

Had a simliar experience 5 or 6 years ago, I had taken mt son from school for his first moose hunting trip in Atikokan. We let him shoot the grouse since it was about his experience. The MNR stop us and asked who shot the grouse ( we had 9) the kid said he shot 6 of them. The SOB charged hime for shooting more than his limit. keep in mind we could of had 15 birds. i Know it is an indvidual limit but of course so is fish. Taught him a valuable lesson. DO NOT TELL THEM THE TRUTH or offer any information.

quote:
Originally posted by roland

it is to bad that he got charged for a miscount but once the co counted the fish and seen the mistake he had little choice but to charge them remember that is his job and what he gets paid for. Also as for commercial fishery I am not really a big fan of theres but people that can't aford a boat or a charter should be able to eat lake erie perch also.

Roland - one needs to exercise professional discretion in certain situations. This is one of them.... It's 5 perch.

Good on Jim to take the charge in front of the boy. I agree though, this could have been a much better lesson for the young lad had a warning been issued.

IMHO...the CO in this case was doing anything but his job.

Yes...a fish and game law was broken.

The person that has been issued the "ticket" has a choice. Pleed guilty and pay the fine or pleed his case in a court of law. The courts are busy....very busy dealing with real crime and criminals. The judge and crown attorney have better things to do then prosicute a 9 year old for mis-counting perch. The crown attorney's office does not want to deal charges such as this. Court is expensive....far more expensive then the fine involved. Conservation officers are told what the mandate for court time is. Public safety....wanton waste...commercialization. The Crown wants to stop fish and game criminals not miscounting 9 yr olds and their fathers. This is a huge waste of resources and as a tax payer I am disappointed with this officer of the courts behavour.

JMHO

Gar

Roland - one needs to exercise professional discretion in certain situations. This is one of them.... It's 5 perch.

So what your saying is any boat that comes in with 5 perch over there limit is ok and should be ignored if they have a child on board.

For arguements sake; If the CO had to count the catch 3 times one could suppose that the CO doesn't know how to count and could be in error ?

quote:
Originally posted by roland
[br Also as for commercial fishery I am not really a big fan of theres but people that can't aford a boat or a charter should be able to eat lake erie perch also.

By that reasoning, people without a shotgun or rifle should be able to buy and eat Canada goose, Mallards, moose, and Wild Turkeys? I'm not opposed to the commercial fishery at all. My point is that the Lake Erie perch quota is for all Ontarians, not just commercial fishermen, so anglers should be able to catch all that they want and the commercials get the rest. The "rest", of course, would still be more than 90% of the quota.

Limits are there for a reason....so everyone can enjoy our great fishery, as far as rules, how do you apply "warnings" equitably. You break the rule, pay the fine, it'll make more responsible fisherman (Count and take what you're entitled to!)

quote:
Originally posted by Johny2

I'm pretty sure the mnr can charge ya with every single fish over the limit,the price is prob a 100$ + each fish because every fine is at least 100 and up. My dad and I had our haul of perch counted at the boat ramp in dover. Mr mnr got his bear hands wet and counted every perch,my pops reminded him he didn't need a fishin license because he was a senior citizen,ah that was funny,white haired pops tellin authority bout judgement. Mnr asked him first then realized pops had santa colored hair:D

tto

The actual charge was $180.00 for 1 over the limit, although he could have laid chares per fish and taken 1 limit of perch. I truly made an honest mistake and the CO was doing his job. He gave an option to who was going to take the charge and I took it. This was the first time for my friend and his son to fish here.

I have grown up here on the Point all my lfe and an avid fishermen. I have had many good memories of fishing here. This area has the best sport fishing you can ask for whether you fish for perch, pike, bass. If you are just boater, there excellant boating and swimming here.

Like I posted earlier, I'm embarassed Yes, I'm ashamed Yes to post on here my identity Yes, an honest mistake happen Yes.

Just everyone be careful on your count, it can easily happen to anyone.

Jim

Well said Jim. So, when we going fishing? (I never get close to my limit:D)

Honest mistakes happen,mnr officers they can read that and won't throw the book at anyone. But for people deliberatly overfishin they will,I found this article few years back and the fines can value as much as a used boat. http://www.ocoa.ca/Pages_MNRnews/Documents2002/2002-10-31StCatherinesBass.htm

Boys this case is going to thrown out before it ever goes anywhere! No crown is going to want to touch it.
The 'minor' has a limit....yes but a minor can go fishing by himself...and cannot be held responsible...who
was over....the minor.....oops my nine year old son counted wrong! Really, an excuse for a CO laid this charge...
this is officer discretion or lack thereof at work! Fight it and then Fight it again.
What an incredible waste of resources! time! Money! Way to go...you found some real criminals.
This is like giving someone a speeding ticket for 155 in a 150 or 51.5 in a 50. Yes....speeders break the law....but hello Discretion and common sense!

quote:
Originally posted by stomp

Well said Jim. So, when we going fishing? (I never get close to my limit:D)

Any time Stomp, there is always room for you. I don't need to eat that many mini-subs unless Big Dave is with us!!! Went with Big Dave yesterday afternoon and we got our limit. He wouldn't let me keep count!!:D

Jim

I use a stroke counter for golf. It's cheap and works well, I just put it on my basket. And fellas yes i do have a bad golf game.
Deaker

Sorry to hear your day of fishing ended this way. I don't think this CO deserves any blame though. These hard working guys are so under-funded right now, with more "Dalton-cutbacks" coming, that they have to lay charges whenever possible. This is the only way they can keep gas in their trucks and CO's in the field. As sportsman we need to adhere to the laws exactly as they are written or the CO's have no choice but to charge us. Without the fine based income they would soon be out of jobs and we would have nobody to enforce any laws.

Once again a fishermans honest mistake and a buck and a half fine is nothing compared to these so called fisherman absolute hack and slashers,another charge I read has 2 maniacs stomping and netting migratory salmon/trout... I found from mnr conservation infractions.
This was the case in September of last year. A man from Newmarket decided to fish the creek in Bowmanville at the Goodyear dam. The area was clearly posted that no fishing is permitted within 25 yards downstream of the dam. Several residents had complained to the Ministry that poaching was taking place. This gentleman decided to take his chances. He lost.

He was charged $1,000 each for fishing within 25 yards of a 'fish way', snagging fish (fish must be caught in the mouth) and possessing fish illegally caught. And guess what? The man didn't even have a fishing licence! That cost another $500. He had to pay for a licence and had it suspended for two years. As well, all his fishing equipment was forfeited to the Crown.

I guess he thought that because he was fishing at 1:05 a.m. no one would be the wiser. Wrong.

Migratory fish, such as rainbow trout and salmon, are vulnerable to poachers while they gather at the dam and move upstream to spawn. If you are in doubt, always check the regulation book and check for any signs that may be posted. As you can see, it's not worth the risk. This man lost all his gear and ended up paying $3,500 in fines.

WTF ? "FINE BASED INCOME" ??? That's what we need in this country....LEO's whose only source of income is to nail the public anytime[ anywhere,anyhow] they can ?

Not in my country comrade !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks