Perch Rig Knot

Beanstir

Last year I tied a drop shot 2 hook perch rig (http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/drop-shot-rig) with a Palomar knot using 8 pound trilene XL. This year I would like to get the hook off of the main line 1 1/2" to 2". I have experimented with the Dropper Loop knot, (http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/dropper-loop/). Cut loop and tie hook a couple of inches from main line.
I am not confident with my knot strength using this knot. Maybe it is just me but it does not take much to break at the knot.
Can anyone give me some advice on the type of knot to use. I would like to not use three way swivels and also would like to give fluorocarbon line a try. Thanks for any input would be appreciated. Beanstir

I have done this for perch just using a clinch knot. Thee knot seemed to bite hard enough not to slip down. Didn't have any issues with it. I just use triswivles now cause of laziness really and never change line on perch rods :geek:

Hey guys check out this dropper loop peg board.Just goggled this and found it,looks easy to tie up perchrigs

Anyone try a Kiwi Dropper Loop Knot? http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/plat_fishing_knots.html.
Reported knot strength of 94.8%. I tied a couple and cannot break knot before cutting my fingers. This may be the knot I was looking for. I looked up the dropper loop boards, great idea but still the knot breaks too easily. I was hoping to use 6 or 8 pound test and with the light line, line just cuts through itself at the knot. Going to experiment with the Kiwi Dropper Loop Knot. Make a few jigs and see how much weight I can lift before it breaks at the knot. Thanks for the replies. Beanstir

If you know a uniknot, then try this if I can explain it right.
Make a full loop, leaving as long a tag end as you need, in your mainline. Wrap the tag around the doubled portion of the line as if you were doing a uni, leaving the wraps fairly loose. Do 6-8 wraps, leaving them loose. Find the middle most wrap and spread it open, reaching through and pull the loop you made initially out the other side, inverting the whole deal. Tighten up slowly alternating between mainline, loop and tag end. You would end up with a knot that looks like a uni to uni connection with a loop sticking out of the middle. Cut the loop on the bottom part, leaving a 1/4 inch tag for security. You should now have a piece of line sticking out perpendicular that you can tie a hook to. Snell works the best to keep the hook sticking straight out. Stiffer line like a flouro leader material also helps keep the hook away from the mainline. You should be able to tie two of these in sequence if the knot is good. Test it before proceeding to the next one.
If you tie up a few rigs at home, it's easier just to attach them to a swivel on your mainline while you are on the water if you need to re tie.
This is the cleanest and most reliable setup I have found, I double drop shot smallies with it so it can handle the pressure.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks