Perch report, (sort of)

can't miss

Second hand info, take it for whats its worth?? My local grocery store has be selling lake perch (yellow), for a while now. Have tired it a few times and its ok, no, not as good as the same day you caught them, but my freezer was a perch desert this yr past?
They have always been smaller size fillets, today's fresh stock looks real good, much larger fillets, and they've added the word " Jumbo" to the package. I know the store's meat guys so I asked were these come from, so he called his fish guy well I was there.
Fish tugs are fishing out of Wheatley, in/at "The Bay's", and slamming perch, sounds like large females? I don't know the lake down that way so not clear if this is a specific spot or just anywhere where the shore line changes? Like I started with, here say? Fish guy said 79 totes perch, for his supplier, one day, I don't know, wasn't really listening, and I don't know how much perch that is, or how big a tote is? sounds like a lot? Also said pickerel were plenty, but not targeting them because there larger than market wants?

Thanks for the report. I have a feeling perch fishing is going to be a bust like last year but hopefully the perch prove me wrong.

Perch may have been a bust on last year Erie, but Huron was a different story. Hopefully it is as good as it was last spring!

I didn't think Erie was so bad for perch. Ice fishing was good too. I agree the usual haunts at port Burwell was a bit dry in 2018 compared to 2017 but there was still plenty of water to fish besides port Burwell. Crystal beach gave up nice limits of jumbos early on and for the 1st time in 5 years of trying (late june) I managed to pull a limit more then once out if nanticoke. Inner bay,Turkey,pottohawk was marvelous till just b4 the piss up. Port maitland rite at the mouth of river did exceptionally well for some friends that had put the time in...i wish i went! I didnt make it out of dover but it sounded and looked like i should have. this year I'll be sure to test the waters at dover.
My boat is ready to catch just waiting for a launch to let me in the game.

Imagine the perch we could have if the perch were allowed to spawn for a season or two. Have a close season on them so they can spawn. This is for recreation and commercial people alike. Catching huge females full of eggs is the future of the fishery. I only propose this if there truly is a real decline in the population which I don’t pretend to know if that’s the case.

The east end of Erie was okay for perch but this end in the central basin from Port Bruce to Glasgow has been absolutely awful for both 2017 and 2018. In fact the worst perch fishing I've seen in my lifetime. Sure hope things change this season but I'm not overly optimistic. :(

congrats @SIX-GRAND on your LPB ice fishin perch catches...I enjoyed reading your methods with your perch catchin reports...also to mention my neighbour did great on erie perch last June into July out of Bruce...he has a trailer & docked boat down there every season...him and his brother scored limits of perch last season...and still diehard percher Frank G. at Burwell off the rocks same story June perch limits..and #3 buddy Jeff and his GF after work with a couple burwell perch limits..
If you wanna change it up for both and your willing to drive.. again leamington to colchester june pickeral & perch..ya its too busy for me... june is my goto for LSC pics and always pickup perch flatlining...My favourite for June is fishin the up high erie rainbows...hitting my usual unfished waters & reef after a bug hatch for big bows & numbers...
for the ones starving for early chrome.. best chance at good numbers & quality is still ice out Owen sound salmon & port Franks...I have been considering for a while now for a June light wind trend for a Lake Michigan super salmon trip..its a 5 hour drive and a michigan fishin Licence...say for 4 to 5 days should do it...

dated Nov. 19 2018 theres a great article titled
Lake Erie Steelhead fishing thriving through Great Lakes cooperation

erie is going to make fishermen out of everybody again this season...

ya wheatly is famous for its commercial fishing fleet, XL fish processing plant, MNR enforcement office, etc ...but its also famous for its excellent sport fishing..especially rainbows...to bad wheatlys last chance tackle shop closed up several years back...ya that was a good one...
you can review wheatly harbour authority website...there historic daily fishing reports included with the days weather are impressive with specific numbers of pics & bows with location...guys use the wheatly boat launch to access pt. peele for fishing pics & perch around the point...the point is also used for protection from brisk east or west winds...giving the fisherman fishing oppurtunity on either side...ya its wheatly or leamington..instead of going home empty..

and erieau marina website also has historic fishing reports dating back years...
erieau is the best it gets for the erie sport fishermen...best facilities, full service marina, best ramps, easiest parking, fish cleaning station, best fishing tournament, best dockage, best charter boats...and the fastest fishing trip time to erieau pt and for fall time rondeau bay perch to muskies to duck huntin...me & buddy cleaned alot of ducks at barneys boats...perch fishing was really good...west to the rifle range markers and off dealtown..I wonder if trophy takers Jeremy brooks is still at it?

just a memory ..ya the shipping canals 75 fow was also great late season rainbows & salmon..only fished peele island once for a box of pics..ya its a bummer glasgow took out there weigh in for the erieau derby...i think it was to much work because there was alot of fish to weigh in...lol

you guys with the auto pilot...can you dial in erieau's famous contour rockline on your Navionics software...I didn't make it out there...last july I scored my pics & bows simply off erieau pt...

I got a high inshore reef the size of a football field...on the right marine weather I was scorin both doubles on bows & pics.. focused gps gettin on it & off it with extreme manual turns with short leads off the 2 riggers...can you setup auto pilot to do that...if so I got another bright idea for a possible triple..I'll need an extra pair of hands on board..lol...and a legal 3 line spread..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks