Off Topic Painting spoons

Puddle Jumper

Since I already have powder paints for painting jigs ....i decided to try painting spoons .

Started painting some old spoons ...had a few Fuggly ones . Before learning What not to do...

Here are couple old EBG spoons I repainted and couple new blanks I bought

Pretty easy once get hang of it.
For those who want to paint or make there own lures20200204_153343.jpg

Since I already have powder paints for painting jigs ....i decided to try painting spoons .

Started painting some old spoons ...had a few Fuggly ones . Before learning What not to do...

Here are couple old EBG spoons I repainted and couple new blanks I bought

Pretty easy once get hang of it.
For those who want to paint or make there own luresView attachment 20528
??:cool:

Last edited:
1580936120902.png
Ya Puddlejumper good choice..there an excellent spoon...dedicated for brook trout in my gear..ya the EGBs...mine are the originals ..I got a nice little selection...fishin the lakes they are my second top producer for specs..as you know very popular with the locals up there..besides the ol school williams wobbler #40..west river is my number 1 spoon for specs & lakers..that one is vintage..

its really ironic how the little cleo metallic blue & chrome and the green & chrome takes the biggest specs in the tea coloured northern lakes..they do outfish the ol school local red dice live minnows sewn & leadered to the cow bells & beer cans..ya what a pain..

Last edited:
Wondering... Is it a home powder coating system? or do you have access to a commercial unit?

They look Great! you will have to report back if you get anything on them!

1580948234278.png
GCW homemade hologram....cracked ice could be another one...
Northern King has several knock off hologram combinations proven catching king salmon

Last edited:
Wondering... Is it a home powder coating system? or do you have access to a commercial unit?

They look Great! you will have to report back if you get anything on them!
Yes home made ....i use a heat gun to heat the spoon then either dip or use paint brush to sprinkle paint on spoon.....after I get all colours on I place them into a toaster oven I got from value village

I painted over 300 jigs this year already and just bought another mold

Finished a couple more ....unfortunately they are under 2.5 " .....but cheap enough to experiment with ....Beforebuying larger more expensive blanks20200206_023815.jpg20200206_023837.jpg20200206_024335.jpg

Yes home made ....i use a heat gun to heat the spoon then either dip or use paint brush to sprinkle paint on spoon.....after I get all colours on I place them into a toaster oven I got from value village

I painted over 300 jigs this year already and just bought another mold

Just so I understand... You really do not have an electrostatic gun to make the powder "stick" to the blank.
You just heat the blank up, then "sprinkle" or dip the blank into the powder paint. After that you "bake" the blank in the toaster oven.

How long do you bake? and at what temperature?

This looks like something that would be interesting to try to experiment with...

Thanks in Advance...

Correct ...the powder paint is just heat & dip then bàke
350 for 12 min or 250 for 20-25

I think for spoons lower temp longer might be better but not 100 %

I bought most of paint from lure making .com
But I have also bought paint from Princess Auto with no difference except price and limited colours

A friend of mine buys his from a commercial shop in Palmerston in bigger bags

Nice work.
I just started playing around with powder paint myself. Jigs are easy. I have tried a few spoons and spinner blades that turned out horribly. It definitely will take some practice.

Nice work.
I just started playing around with powder paint myself. Jigs are easy. I have tried a few spoons and spinner blades that turned out horribly. It definitely will take some practice.
Ya I had first attèmpts turn out bad or very Fuggly......with spoons I suggest use small brush and sprinkle paint on .....hard to get heat right and çontrol amount of paint when dipping spoon.....so they drip, run, blead colours in the oven

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks