Painting an NK28 spoon

I want to paint the inside of some NK28 spoons (copper) but there is a plastic film on the spoon. I have tried heat, wire wheel, and several solvents to no avail. I would appreciate any help solving this problem.Thanks

I bought a number of copper spoons from Bill's Bait in Hamilton, but you should see how many salmon spoons I have that I don't use anymore. Thought I would try to recycle them now that I am hooked on walleye. By the way, I am probably what a number of you would call a lurker, in that I have watched this site for a number of years. What a great site with so many great sounding, honest people. It is a pleasure each day to log on and follow what is going on. This is only my second post ever on any site, and I am 75. I don't think I have ever read a post on here that withheld information, or tried to be "mysterious" with their answer. Recommended this site to a number of people.................great job keeping this site at this quality.

Welcome and you are correct in that the members of this site are so giving in information advice etc. Also get some hilarious posts at times. Enjoy

Once upon a time there was a member who may have withheld vital information such as intent and possibly gender..... I agree with Josh and use them as is. I found some old salmon spoons and have had good luck with them this year. I swapped out the single hook for a treble & the walleye didn't care it was silver instead of copper or gold back. But if you feel guilty not being honest with the walleyes just hand bomb a sharpie note on the silver back "identifies as copper" and you sir, got yer self a custom trans colour lure (y)

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. It sounds like I just need more confidence in trying old tackle instead of switching them off in ten minutes. Maybe I can wait until next year and see if I still want to paint my salmon spoons.:)

Not disputing the others who say fish them as-is, but I've never seen a paint, coating or otherwise that sandpaper wouldn't remove. Personally I'd just buy the spoon I want, but if I really wanted to paint my own I'd put a sanding drum on the dremel - you'll be at bare metal in no time. The plastic might gum it up but they are cheap.

Light wire wheel on a desk mount grinder unit, followed with the buffing wheel on the other side of grinder to shine them up. Following that I hand the NK28's off to my 9 year old daughter. A vast collection of dollar store nail polish is applied at this station. I try and provide some idea of what I am looking for, but they all tend to come out.......well........ unique! The attached pic shows my best producing lure of this walleye season on Erie. This particular one beat out anything I purchased new.

Attachments

• IMG_4619 (2).JPG
    IMG_4619 (2).JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 50
Thanks FisherPrice! I tried the fine wire wheel, but it only seemed to smear the plastic film, and not take it off. It may be because I had already applied lacquer thinners to see if I could dissolve it and all it seemed to do was make it tacky. I will try again with a different spoon. I will also try the dremel suggested by anonymoose. Surely one of those methods have to work. Nail polish! What a great idea. I had been looking at automotive paints, and was ready to spend some cash, but the nail polish sounds and looks like a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to respond to this post...........much appreciated.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks