Oven Roasted Full Packer Brisket

hvyhaul

First time experiment for me.

Last night

Trimmed brisket
Brushed all surfaces with three tablespoons Hickory liquid smoke
Rubbed with fresh cracked black Pepper and Sea Salt, nothing else
Place in rectangular disposable tin pan on celery stems (my meat rack)
Cover and back in fridge overnight.

Today

Insert probes and place covered in 300* oven for 6 hours or 180* internal temp
Uncover and bake until tender/203* is reached
Rest, slice, consume

Will report times and recipe success later.

Ok, this prick now has pictures and a verdict.

Cooked covered for 5 1/2 hours, then uncovered and reduced heat to 275* and cooked until probe hit 201* and butter soft.

Removed from heat, covered and rested for for another 45 minutes.

brsktpn.jpg

flbrskbrd.jpg

For :poop: and 😋 I separated the flat and point before slicing.

pnt.jpg

flt.jpg

Here's a short video showing slices and a few pull tests.

View attachment brsktpul.mp4

What ended up on the plate with a quick little gravy whipped up.

plt.jpg

Final verdict, damn fine tasty tender result. I have 4 more in the freezer and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to cook another one in the oven using this method.

Hard a great bark in places and it was a nice tender brisket.

The Wife and Great Nephew who is now living with us for school and training, hoping for a US college football scholarship raved about the result. (Boy that boy can eat) 😱🤣

Ok, this prick now has pictures and a verdict.

Cooked covered for 5 1/2 hours, then uncovered and reduced heat to 275* and cooked until probe hit 201* and butter soft.

Removed from heat, covered and rested for for another 45 minutes.

View attachment 37964

View attachment 37965

For :poop: and 😋 I separated the flat and point before slicing.

View attachment 37966

View attachment 37967

Here's a short video showing slices and a few pull tests.

View attachment 37969

What ended up on the plate with a quick little gravy whipped up.

View attachment 37968

Final verdict, damn fine tasty tender result. I have 4 more in the freezer and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to cook another one in the oven using this method.

Hard a great bark in places and it was a nice tender brisket.

The Wife and Great Nephew who is now living with us for school and training, hoping for a US college football scholarship raved about the result. (Boy that boy can eat) 😱🤣
WOW! The brisket - and everything else - looks awesome! Love the video pull test. I'd be interested in whether the celery gave it any additional flavour. P.S. You must have a really big freezer to have 4 more in reserve!

The pull test is the ultimate gauge for one's brisket result.

I'm sure the celery contributed flavour, but my taste buds aren't that sensitive. I used it for a barrier between the meat and the $1 pan.

I still ended up poking a hole in it. Good thing I bought 2.

I used to have a 22 cu ft Woods freezer. Now that was a big freezer. This one might be a little over half that one. :D

Now I understand the need for the big roaster and good thinking about the celery. Hope you don't mind more questions as I'm a brisket newbie. Given the big difference in thickness between the flat and the point, how do you ensure that you're not overcooking the flat to get the point cooked? I saw your note about separating before slicing, but wondered how you cook the whole thing at once.

Now I understand the need for the big roaster and good thinking about the celery. Hope you don't mind more questions as I'm a brisket newbie. Given the big difference in thickness between the flat and the point, how do you ensure that you're not overcooking the flat to get the point cooked? I saw your note about separating before slicing, but wondered how you cook the whole thing at once.

I am a pain in the tuchus when selecting. I look until I find the thickest flats in the cooler.

I then cook with a probe in both sections. If the flat is running way high I'll protect it with foil or butcher's paper. This one never got further than 7* apart the whole cook.

I use temperature to keep an eye on the process, but the final decision is based on physical feel.

Every one I've cooked is different, some are ready at lower/higher temps, sometimes surprisingly off scale but the feel of the meat is my go to.

I separated this one because it literally was falling off LOL.

The grains run opposed, so when slicing together one can't go cross grain easily, unless you can recognize the variance.

Separation allows for 100% cross grain slicing = more tender.

Honestly I think every cook is a slightly overdone flat and slightly underdone point but both within acceptable taste and feel.

Having to separate the 2 sections because the meat is falling off sounds like a high quality problem! Just bought a new instant read thermometer and saw the ones with the probe and didn't think I'd use it much - little did I know.

I have at least 10 of them, this is my "go to" probe.

If you go to buy one, this is the model I use when the results are important.

probe.jpg

Probes can only be cleaned by hand, not imursed in water.

Last edited:
These look like you'd be all set to get the brisket on in the morning then monitor from either the Lighthouse or somewhere along the 401.

Full packer brisket cooking, bigger-than-life size roasting pans, a freezer that could store a moose and multi probes with remote control... @hvyhaul, you are all set to feed your Grand Nephew for a while, plus a few others! I'll be back with more brisket questions :D

Everything is waisted, nothing gets tossed at our house.

Three days of sammies.

And then the scrumptious Shepherd's Pie comes into play.
I've put on 10lbs reading yours, and Mrs. Stomps posts. Why don't you 2 get together and put out a cookbook? Nothing fancy 20- 30 pages held together with spiral binding, sell 'em with proceeds going to a local fishing club or something like that.

Funny you would say that @Skunked2Often .

The Wife and I made these up for our kids. They were always calling for recipes.

IMG_20210224_175254.jpg
IMG_20210224_175309.jpgIMG_20210224_175302.jpg

If they liked the food they were raised on so much, why not give them a book.

I have the file in my laptop so new recipes and pages to update are no issue.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks