Outboard how to winterize

Ongbakfish

Hello everyone I just need some advice how to properly winterize an 115 outboard motor 4 stroke 2022 mercury? Should I ran a antifreeze to the engine and should I pour some antifreeze to live well? I'm trying to save some bucks DIY other than going to dealership services. Thank you and God bless you all

I have never run antifreeze through either of my outboards, they are designed to drain in the vertical position.

On the other hand, I always put RV antifreeze through all my livewell/bilge lines/pumps, run them on recirculate and make sure that the valves (in my boat anyway) are set to drain/MT.

Left it up to someone else once, never again. 🌻

Just as an observation - you mention its a 2022 - therefore under warranty. For me - when it was under warranty I paid the marina, because in the unlikely event something happened I didn't want to have the warranty potentially voided for improper maintenance, even if the event was unrelated to the winterizing. Companies can be funny that way.
A quick search pulled this one up - seems to be pretty comprehensive, but check the owner manual to make sure you do everything on the list and keep your receipts.

for a 2019 - lots of vids and step by steps

Before your last trip of the season put stabilizer in gas.

Change motor oil and filter. Change gear case oil. Fill gas tank to the brim. Store motor tiled down.

There’s not much to worry about. Any antifreeze is just going to drain on the ground when you tilt down.

It is a 4 stroke outboard. Tilt it down to let all the water out. You can change filters and top oil and bottom gearcase oil but you don't have to do it until the spring. I tilt both my motors down to drain all water and I am done until spring. In the spring I change engine oil and filter, change fuel filters and change gear oil. Grease all fittings and your engines are done. As far as your livewell if you take off your water spout it will drain out the rear of your boat and no need for antifreeze.

My livewell pumps have recirculate valves, leave them in that position and you might get a split pump housing like I did. I do myself and AF now. 🌻

My livewell pumps have recirculate valves, leave them in that position and you might get a split pump housing like I did. I do myself and AF now. 🌻
Same happened to a friend of mine. The intake hose wasn't 100 % horizontal and had a dip where water collected. Froze, cracked the line. Discovered when the bilge came on out in the lake. Managed to get it back home, but it was close. I carry an extra plug as well. Same can happen to the lower end if you get water in the gear case oil and it freezes. Especially with a brand new motor, it really doesn't make any sense to do a short cut that might void the warranty. New 115 is what, 16, 18K?. A winterization kit a couple hundred?
Every 2 years, don't forget to inspect the impeller as well.

Just as an observation - you mention its a 2022 - therefore under warranty. For me - when it was under warranty I paid the marina, because in the unlikely event something happened I didn't want to have the warranty potentially voided for improper maintenance, even if the event was unrelated to the winterizing. Companies can be funny that way.
A quick search pulled this one up - seems to be pretty comprehensive, but check the owner manual to make sure you do everything on the list and keep your receipts.

Very good advice 👍

It's new, pay the marina. They'll run treatment through the lines, change the engine oil and the gear case oil.

I have never run antifreeze through either of my outboards, they are designed to drain in the vertical position.

On the other hand, I always put RV antifreeze through all my livewell/bilge lines/pumps, run them on recirculate and make sure that the valves (in my boat anyway) are set to drain/MT.

Left it up to someone else once, never again. 🌻
Thanks

Thank you for the advice

Change motor oil and filter. Change gear case oil. Fill gas tank to the brim. Store motor tiled down.

There’s not much to worry about. Any antifreeze is just going to drain on the ground when you tilt down.
Thanks

Thanks

It is a 4 stroke outboard. Tilt it down to let all the water out. You can change filters and top oil and bottom gearcase oil but you don't have to do it until the spring. I tilt both my motors down to drain all water and I am done until spring. In the spring I change engine oil and filter, change fuel filters and change gear oil. Grease all fittings and your engines are done. As far as your livewell if you take off your water spout it will drain out the rear of your boat and no need for antifreeze.
Thank you

Same happened to a friend of mine. The intake hose wasn't 100 % horizontal and had a dip where water collected. Froze, cracked the line. Discovered when the bilge came on out in the lake. Managed to get it back home, but it was close. I carry an extra plug as well. Same can happen to the lower end if you get water in the gear case oil and it freezes. Especially with a brand new motor, it really doesn't make any sense to do a short cut that might void the warranty. New 115 is what, 16, 18K?. A winterization kit a couple hundred?
Every 2 years, don't forget to inspect the impeller as well.
Thanks

Thank you everyone for all thet good advice. Right now still thinking if I have to do it myself. Otherwise my big concern is my warranty I don't want something happened. Thanks a lot

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks