Optimal eating size for Pike

Hooked on Ice

I plan to be out of the Old Cut first thing tomorrow morning with my son and daughter. We'll be in a bright orange 6' X 12' pop-up. I caught my first pike last winter, just wondering, what size is a good keeper for eating pike? Is there a minimal or maximum size for keepers? The one I kept last year was about 24", I let a 21" go a bit earlier that season.

Abe

22 to 26 in best for cleaning and tasting. Alot ot northern water has slot size and this generally follows that. I think the slot size on the French is even smaller than that .

I plan to be out of the Old Cut first thing tomorrow morning with my son and daughter. We'll be in a bright orange 6' X 12' pop-up. I caught my first pike last winter, just wondering, what size is a good keeper for eating pike? Is there a minimal or maximum size for keepers? The one I kept last year was about 24", I let a 21" go a bit earlier that season.

Abe
@Hooke on Ice i release a lot of pike, but if I decide to keep some for the freezer I’ll keep 5-8 lb’ers 28” or more. That size is a perfect eater. Ive had to keep bigger ones only due to hook carnage.

I find 24" pike to be my target for food as you get nice fillets that seem to be perfect for deep frying and they fit perfectly in my cooler. Use the 5 fillet method cutting each fillet off the carcass individually.

For the bigger ones over 30" that cannot be released i usually make a batch of sweet pickled pike where deboning isn't required.

Dont forget to bleed the fish for a minute while holding it head down.

I find 24" pike to be my target for food as you get nice fillets that seem to be perfect for deep frying and they fit perfectly in my cooler. Use the 5 fillet method cutting each fillet off the carcass individually.

For the bigger ones over 30" that cannot be released i usually make a batch of sweet pickled pike where deboning isn't required.

Dont forget to bleed the fish for a minute while holding it head down.
Completely agree

Another use for pike....my chowder-like creation. Made some again tonight for dinner and even the picky wife (only eats perch and fish sticks) likes it.

1lb of fish cubed
3 large potatoes cubed
1 small onion diced
1 stalk celery sliced
1/2 cup corn
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tbsp chicken stock powder
Salt, pepper, mrs dash seasoning
Enough milk to cover everything about 1"

Toss it all in a pot on low heat and simmer 45 minutes. Stir 2 tbsp corn starch into some cold water and slowly add to pot while stirring to thicken.

Ive made this a few times now and its great for a cold winter day.

Another use for pike....my chowder-like creation. Made some again tonight for dinner and even the picky wife (only eats perch and fish sticks) likes it.

1lb of fish cubed
3 large potatoes cubed
1 small onion diced
1 stalk celery sliced
1/2 cup corn
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tbsp chicken stock powder
Salt, pepper, mrs dash seasoning
Enough milk to cover everything about 1"

Toss it all in a pot on low heat and simmer 45 minutes. Stir 2 tbsp corn starch into some cold water and slowly add to pot while stirring to thicken.

Ive made this a few times now and its great for a cold winter day.
Thanks for sharing your pike chowder recipe @ch312 (y) I am already looking forward to trying this recipe on walleye’s,when the thames river spring walleye run is on.;)(y):)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks