Opening day LPWMU 2022 !

TrueNorth

Hope everyone is getting excited for opening day this Saturday!

This will be our first time hunting opening day at the unit and are looking forward to the craziness.

Question for veteran hunters of the unit: what time should we expect the lineup to start filling up for opening day? We plan to get down there Friday night but just trying to get an idea of exactly how early since it will be our first..

Thanks in advance for any input and happy hunting!

Thanks old cutter. That’s exactly what I was afraid of..

When would you say things typically start filling up down there for opening day?

Is it like opening day of anything else? Shoulder to shoulder or is there designated blinds you have to hunt out of?

There are designated blinds that you have to hunt out of (or near) for zone A. Blind choice is based on a vehicle lineup system that’s sort of a “first come, first serve” deal.

Hello Guys,

I have seen plenty of Mute Swans this summer and recently I have seen more Great Blue Herrons than I would expect to see.

What is really note worthy is the massive numbers of Egrets feeding in the Big Creek WMA and the Smith Marsh ... just saw about 45 in the Big Creek WMA and about 15 in the Smith Marsh.

I did not see as many Canada Geese this summer as last summer thankfully and those that I did see kept to the shallow water rather than in my back yard.

As for the ducks ... seen a few Teal recently and some Wood Ducks the odd time ... good luck.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I took a drive down to the LPWMU this afternoon at about 1400 hours (2:00pm) to pick up this year's hunting information package for somebody and it was rather busy ... perhaps they were waiting for the afternoon re-rent to start.

I noticed that there were a lot of vehicles (two trucks and nine cars) at the west end of the marsh ... specifically the small parling lot for blinds 41, 42 and 43. There was a group of about seven individuals
(maybe more) with a dog walking way out towards the feed pond.

I could not help but suspect that they were "city birders" who had decided that the sign stating "Restricted Area" and that only waterfowl hunters were permitted beyond this point did not apply to them.

I then saw another couple who had just arrived before me and who were initially hesitant to enter the "Restricted Area" slowly walk by the sign with their binoculars. I wanted to say something but then decided that "fido" was more appropriate.

Jerome

PS The term "fido" is a term that the police now use in certain circumstances ... go figure!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks