Opening Day 2011

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's been at least 10 years since I braved the opener. Coaxed on by some family members who were anxious to see what it was all about, I got up at an ungodly hour and headed to the lake. Now without boat, I had to again rely on Big Dave to keep my fishing addiction alive. Dave graciously hosted us for a morning of smallmouth bass fishing.

Wow, tough conditions out there. Strong WNW winds greeted us at first light. I'm sure the weather kept more than a few anglers at home. It didn't seem as crowded and crazy as past openers. We didn't get wet, but we didn't get too warm either; cold conditions for the entire morning. Dave's drift sock came in handy to slow us down enough for drift fishing for smallmouth.

We started a drift on the flats between Millionaire's and Pottohawk. I fed leeches to a lot of fish with little to show for it. A switch to dew worms seemed to help give me enough chance to land the odd smallmouth. We ended up keeping about half our count for a fish fry and we released the rest of 20 or so bass, with a couple of drum and rockies thrown in. We had some drifts that were very exciting with lots of action. I think, with better conditions, it could have been a fantastic opener. All things considered, it was pretty darn good bass fishing. Nothing worthy of entry in the derby but we all had our tickets, just in case.

Here are a few photos of our day.

A party rock'in and roll'in on site sponsor "Basshunter's" boat:
SDC11642.jpg

Jim H with a nice frying pan-sized smallmouth:
SDC11640.jpg

A few of the thousand or so boats that were scattered across the Inner Bay:
SDC11638.jpg

Always a pleaasure to have you aboard Stomp.
Perchin next week!
BD

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks