ONE MORE TIME Port Bruce July 26/011 Chapter 3

packrat

Now on to the boring shtuff---caution ---may cause drowsiness:D

Last year I dabbled at using braid for perchin---with dismal results. Determined to still try it picked up a 5'6" Ugly stik (light action).

My go to rod for sometime now has been a 7' cheapy with a fairly sensitive tip spooled with 6# Ande line----has served the purpose over the years but I can see retirement in the picture sometime down the road.

Took them both to Bruce tuesday, started off with 7'r just to get in on the action----wouldnt you know it line breaks just when things are getting interesting, so put it aside and go to #2 rod, put on a pickerel rig and flail away at it. Now the 7'r feels like a broomstick cuz this Ugly Stik/braid combination is performing exactly as I had hoped it would----can feel the slightest bump/nibble/twitch even under windy conditions. Bonus is you didnt have to reef near as much to set the hook.

Things were going nicely until braid parted company with the terminal rig----decide to retie and keep going. (trying to tie a uni knot in that breeze was something else----finally gave up and made some sort of knot hoping it would hold. No problems here until braid broke again between reel and tip of rod.

By now had rerigged the "other one" and finished the day with it. Couldnt believe the difference now---casting out 40-50'?? sure put a lot of mono out there to stretch until you got a hookset.

So I'm hooked on braid for perchin just have to iron out some of the bugs and yes that little rod is destined to see a lot of action from now on.

OK done now everybody can doze off----we'll ask ???? in the morning:D

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Packrat,

as you know I fish a lot of perch and I use braid exclusive, I am surprised at your problems with it, I have none. I also use a short rod 5'3 but med action. It is still sensitive and is great on hookset.

BD

quote:
Originally posted by Big Dave

Packrat,

as you know I fish a lot of perch and I use braid exclusive, I am surprised at your problems with it, I have none. I also use a short rod 5'3 but med action. It is still sensitive and is great on hookset.

BD

Guess still in a learning curve here BD.

What # test are you using????---stuff I have on the reel is 6#.(dont recall the brand tho). Flops around in any kind of breeze making it difficult to even thread it thru the eye of swivel/snap. Tying a knot is another joke---might as well be wearing gloves:D

I've been using ultralight and braid for 2 years perchin, down here the perch are usually in 60 - 65 fow, never a problem with the line, i use power pro 10 lb test, i can feel them suck on the minnow.

Thanks for the tips mk/bd:)

mk---"I can feel them suck on the minnow"----that's pretty rude:D

packrat stay with the braid you will get to love it.I have used it for maybe the last 4 perch seasons will never go back to mono for perchin i use 8lb power pro.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks