Off Topic On board battery charger

Red Gator

I'm setting up the boat with a new battery system. Going to use 2-12 volt deep cycle batteries connected in parallel for the bow mount trolling motor and a single marine battery for starting the big motor and the accessories. My question to all you 68'ers is what on board charger is the best and how many banks do I need?

I have had a great experience with the Minnkota. Variable charge rates to suit the battery needs as well as 3 modes for the different types of batteries. I have the same setup as you and bought the 3 bank charger so it does the cranking battery as well.

Minnkota 3 bank charger for 2 of the trolling motor battery and the main battery
I put in line fuse in as well between batteries and charger and a resetting inline breaker between the battery and trolling motor
Make sure to use a heavy gauge wire from battery to trolling motor you will get better performance and longer running time off your battery

I use minnkota and have no complaints.
Have been running the same on board charger for 3 years.
They get my vote!

Minnkotta. I once saved a few bucks on an off brand and it boiled 300$ worth of batteries dry.

minn kota here as well
i went for a dual charger setup, one for the start battery and a dual for the bow thruster (24v) pair

I use this Digital microprocessor controlled unit I can leave plugged in 24/7 not having to worry about boiling the batteries. It's 100% waterproof and shockproof with all line connections already fused so just need to just hook it up, plug it in and forget about it, works great for my use.

1582639662587.png1582639721473.png

Can the new minnkota 3 bank chargers be plugged in and used as a tender over the winter or no ?
sorry to hijack

I use this Digital microprocessor controlled unit I can leave plugged in 24/7 not having to worry about boiling the batteries. It's 100% waterproof and shockproof with all line connections already fused so just need to just hook it up, plug it in and forget about it, works great for my use.

View attachment 20947View attachment 20948

How long have you been using it?

Can the new minnkota 3 bank chargers be plugged in and used as a tender over the winter or no ?
sorry to hijack
Yes you can
I dont take my batteries out since I got the boat 3 years ago
It brings the charge down and recharge it
The boat is in a non heated garage

Yes you can
I dont take my batteries out since I got the boat 3 years ago
It brings the charge down and recharge it
The boat is in a non heated garage
I do the same leave them in the boat in my unheated garage as well. These new digital micro compressor chargers are very safe as they never overcharge or undercharge like older units used to do before this technology.

Last edited:
Love the NOCO products. Have a marine dual bank permanently installed for my two trolling batteries. Numerous models for maintaining other batteries for the main battery, camping trailer battery, tractor, atv etc, and I carry the genius boost for jumping or emergencies. They are all fantastic. The big box stores are a bit over priced and I got all of mine from amazon over the years. Good luck!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks