Old spoon question

Yakfisherman

The Great Lake spoon thread made me think of some of the old ones I have , I would not call myself a collector more of an accumulator, , old lures are like art , I have done research on most of my old lures except these spoons I think I paid like 3 bucks for all of them at a yard sale , reading about custom spoons made me curious if anyone might have any info on them , age manufacturers, target fish , I don’t plan to ever use them just curious if anyone has had luck with them , the one with green on it is just shy of 6 inches long DE292B1A-9BC9-47A4-8ED0-FDF05D20C5C4.jpeg2654804D-2D8E-41E6-A4BF-C16650802451.jpeg0CA5BAAB-ADB4-422F-998F-0F90AC4F602C.jpegC03603E1-A8F5-414B-B223-046EDADA60C5.jpeg3A207977-DAB7-4B4E-ADFD-2240BFF8815C.jpegD30C0FFE-326B-49E6-91E4-C84AEACE928F.jpegF591ECA5-09FC-4642-BDEA-DF46A0E583E0.jpeg616FE954-8DB0-4A85-AA25-BAD0B775DC3D.jpeg

I have owned a copy of this book since the ninety's and it shows a lot of rods reels lures nets etc .I refer to it all the time. My edition is pre 1960 tackle. Very helpful, I will attempt to research a few of yours.

Those are certainly some unique looking spoons. I don' think I've ever seen anything like 'em

Lucky strike ....made red eye wiggles

Worked great for pike ....still have a couple some where .... mine are not that that old ....probably 1980'S .....so could be a copy or novk off of yours

@GPS I do think I’ll pickup a copy of that book , after a little internet searching , I’m now thinking they are made by Gibbs , red eye wiggler , haven’t been able to find any info , or anything similar to the one with beads running all the way down it , thanks for the replies , anyone else display old tackle

Mine are stamped with the original horseshoe and the name Lucky Strike.

Many hours will be spent going through this book.
The ISBN # is 0-9634515-5-3 first printed in 1987.

@Yakfisherman now i want to goto a tackle swap to hunt for spoons . I have a bunch of the red eye wigglers also stamped with the horse shoe and lucky strike but i display them for the pike that love them in lpb .

So I took the spoons down from where they have been hanging for a few years , I don’t think I even took a close look before I just hung them up , only one has a stamp on it , says , Gibbs 2x ruby eye89D4AE26-F1B0-4472-A8C4-6CE35165772F.png

Legend has it that the greatest Coureur de bois of all time by the name of Jacque La Bare was eating his lunch of pea soup on yet a unnamed lake's rocky outcrop of the Canadian Shield when his foot slipped causing him to fling his little pot of soup and spoon into the air ! The pot made a safe landing on shore but poor Jacque watched his spoon land in the water, "Tabernak !" cursed Jacque but as he watched his spoon flutter to the bottom a very large pike attacked it ! "Qu'est-ce que c'est ?" Jacque asks himself. Being a resourceful fellow that he was he took another spoon cut off the stem and with a nail he punched two holes in it and with his basic fishing gear attached a line and a hook to the spoon. "Voila !" Jacque exclaimed and off he went fishing for that pike that ate his spoon. Unfortunately this story has a comme ce comme ca ending, poor Jacque never did catch the fish that ate his spoon but he did land 7 for 12 and had fresh fish for dinner. How he got fat from a bear to fry his fish in is a story for another day.

Brings me back memories of my chain smoking grampa, telling me to be quiet in the boat while he used those for lake trout. Funny he told me I was scaring the fish, when he put out a couple football fields of steel line out, on a banjo reel. The fish would be 2lbs but another 3 lbs of water in his belly. We caught a lot of 5lb lakers. What a character he was and they don't make em like that anymore. Funny how those memories comeback from looking at a fishing lure.

Thanks for sharing 👍

Brings me back memories of my chain smoking grampa, telling me to be quiet in the boat while he used those for lake trout. Funny he told me I was scaring the fish, when he put out a couple football fields of steel line out, on a banjo reel. The fish would be 2lbs but another 3 lbs of water in his belly. We caught a lot of 5lb lakers. What a character he was and they don't make em like that anymore. Funny how those memories comeback from looking at a fishing lure.

Thanks for sharing 👍
I keep a #4 Mepps Minnow in my vest that I will never use for just that reason. My dad taught me the proper way to swing those things slowly through holding pools for salmon and big bows hugging the bottom. At 4 bucks each they were expensive back then but would trigger sulking mid day Nooks like no other bait. Got my first 10 plus Nook and quite a few big bows with them by the time I was 12.

My father's tackle box had some of those.

Another tackle box I was given as a kid had heavy cord as trolling line and a variety of wooden body baits.

Wish I had better future vision back then, because I don't have any of it now.

Such a waste of history. :oops:😔☹️

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks