Old scopes

Magnum 3

I recently picked up a Scopechief IV 3 x 9 command that appears to be in very good working order . Now I'm going to address this to the older boys w/ older toys , as they are probably more familiar with the vintage stuff . Most of the comments on forums have commented on the good coatings on the lenses on these scopes along with comparisons to a couple , somewhat newer brands . I own 2 Scopechief's and a Sportview and I like the cross hairs . The glass , for their age , seem pretty good also . So here's the question . Would you mount the command model on a rim fire as almost all of the people on the forums , have them on center fires . My Sportview fixed 4 x was on one , but I've been looking for one of those in 3 x 9 . Didn't know if the glass was as good .

Rimfire scopes are made with the parallax set for +-50yards for .22 as opposed to rifle scopes at 100+ yards. With your 3-9 scope on a rimfire focus may be an issue at close range and the issue will worsen with increased magnification power. If you're lucky enough to find an old rifle scope with 75 yard parallax or something in the 1.5-5x range you it may be ok.

Rimfire scopes are made with the parallax set for +-50yards for .22 as opposed to rifle scopes at 100+ yards. With your 3-9 scope on a rimfire focus may be an issue at close range and the issue will worsen with increased magnification power. If you're lucky enough to find an old rifle scope with 75 yard parallax or something in the 1.5-5x range you it may be ok.
I understand the thing about the parallax . So in the the case of the bushnell , were they specifically always marked .22 Rim fire or was it the model Sportview vs Scope Chief ?

Not sure in general if they're all marked back then. Best to google your specific models and get the specs.

Not sure in general if they're all marked back then. Best to google your specific models and get the specs.
I looked up a few forums , in which case they don't specifically say the scope chief is a center fire scope , but most people have had them screwed on one center fire or another . This along with one that came on a Remington pump I owned . Guess ,if it walks and talks like a duck ... ! .

Sportview vs Sportchief were just different models from Bushnell. Unless marked otherwise it’s likely also a centerfire scope and parallels adjusted for 100yds. That said I’ve not had troubles putting lower power 100yd adjusted scopes on my 22s over the years. Those old Bushnells weren’t half bad - made in Japan, not China.

Most scopes can be user adjusted for parrallax. You just need to unscrew the bell on the front of the scope, and then adjust the inner parrallax ring while focused on a target at 50 yards. That said, most average scopes work just fine on rimfires unless your really picky.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks