Off Topic ...........deer pepperettes !!!

apps

Well was a little busy this week cleaning out the freezer from last falls deer hunt , we have been messing around with pepperettes making for a few years now but we finally hit the nail on the head , just thought I would post a pic to get all your mouths watering and yes they do taste as good as they look !.............apps

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Man apps you just reminded me i have deer trim in the freezer i have
to take in to get pepperettes made they look good

They certainly do look good. You better keep on eye on them or somebody else will take care them for you. :)

Very nice! I have 10 lbs of ground deer in the fridge that I plan on smoking this weekend. The only problem is I can't decide if I want to turn them into pepperettes or ground meat style jerky as we love both. Decisions, decisions...:D

Heck, why not? Here's a shot of about 12 lbs of pork and rabbit (8 lbs pork, 4 lbs rabbit) meat sticks ready to hit the smoker. They didn't last very long.

meatstick4.jpg

A smoker and meat grinder are two of the best investments you can make ;)

Thanks guys they are the best I've ever made so far , I think I final got it down ,it took a few trial and errors but that's what its all about !

@ch312 they look pretty good as well do post end result please , do you always just squeeze 1 constant tube , the reason I ask is I use to do it that way and found trouble hanging them in the smoker and if you wanted to move them around a little you would run into a mess , this is the 1st time we tied them in 12" links and was very nice to work with and pretty much ready to go when they come out , @ch312 is so right other than one other key piece and that's a sausage stuff , the best thing I ever did is invest in them 3 things now we save a bunch of cash and have fun doing it , unless you are the guy on the sausage press , sorry @Waldo but you do so a great job ! ;)

RABBIT SAUSAGE man that sounds goooood to never thought
about that one makes me want to start hunting rabbit again
love rabbit but stoped hunting them hard to find them any more(y)

come to peacock point yah can have your fill on my front lawn every day lol

I agree I would like to know the recipe also. I tried my hand at making Bratwurst type venison sausage for the first time this winter and they turned out pretty good. I'll have to cut the salt back as they're pretty salty. I have to agree sausage making is actually kind of fun! TC

@ch312 they look pretty good as well do post end result please , do you always just squeeze 1 constant tube , the reason I ask is I use to do it that way and found trouble hanging them in the smoker and if you wanted to move them around a little you would run into a mess , this is the 1st time we tied them in 12" links and was very nice to work with and pretty much ready to go when they come out , @ch312 is so right other than one other key piece and that's a sausage stuff , the best thing I ever did is invest in them 3 things now we save a bunch of cash and have fun doing it , unless you are the guy on the sausage press , sorry @Waldo but you do so a great job ! ;)[/QUOTE]

I made those last year and they've all been eaten up. Yes, I always do one continuous length and cut them afterwards into a few sections as I find it is much quicker and you waste no casings by cutting and tying individual lengths. To put them in the smoker I wrap them up evenly (think extension cord) and use a stainless rod to hang them which is much faster than hanging individual lengths. The weight of the links creases the casings over the metal rod so when they're done smoking they break apart easily for vacuum sealing.

They're easy to move around in the smoker if required as an entire batch will be hanging from 4-5 rods so it's as easy as picking up the rod and rotating with another. If you're having the issue of the bottoms smoking quicker than the tops you need to form smaller links for your smoker or use a larger drip/diffuser pan with a tray full of water to distributed the heat more evenly.

Thanks guys they are the best I've ever made so far , I think I final got it down ,it took a few trial and errors but that's what its all about !

It would take quite a few wild cottontails to have enough meat for a batch. I use to raise domestic rabbits for personal consumption and their hind quarters and loins contain 2x or more meat than cottontails. They're cheaper to raise than chickens and produce more and healthier meat...

@ch312 they look pretty good as well do post end result please , do you always just squeeze 1 constant tube , the reason I ask is I use to do it that way and found trouble hanging them in the smoker and if you wanted to move them around a little you would run into a mess , this is the 1st time we tied them in 12" links and was very nice to work with and pretty much ready to go when they come out , @ch312 is so right other than one other key piece and that's a sausage stuff , the best thing I ever did is invest in them 3 things now we save a bunch of cash and have fun doing it , unless you are the guy on the sausage press , sorry @Waldo but you do so a great job ! ;)

I made those last year and they've all been eaten up. Yes, I always do one continuous length and cut them afterwards into a few sections as I find it is much quicker and you waste no casings by cutting and tying individual lengths. To put them in the smoker I wrap them up evenly (think extension cord) and use a stainless rod to hang them which is much faster than hanging individual lengths. The weight of the links creases the casings over the metal rod so when they're done smoking they break apart easily for vacuum sealing.

They're easy to move around in the smoker if required as an entire batch will be hanging from 4-5 rods so it's as easy as picking up the rod and rotating with another. If you're having the issue of the bottoms smoking quicker than the tops you need to form smaller links for your smoker or use a larger drip/diffuser pan with a tray full of water to distributed the heat more evenly.

It would take quite a few wild cottontails to have enough meat for a batch. I use to raise domestic rabbits for personal consumption and their hind quarters and loins contain 2x or more meat than cottontails. They're cheaper to raise than chickens and produce more and healthier meat.

Two, 4 1/2 lb chunks of pork hit the smoker an hour ago for some pulled pork tonight...

Friggin sucks that I had to shovel a path to the smoker though! :mad:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks