October fishing suggestions?

Trevor M

As most of you know, I only have 2 seasons in my world. "Hockey season" which usually runs from October 1 through to April when the Leafs disappoint their fans and blow it by either not making or get knocked out of the playoffs, :rolleyes: at least they're consistent, and "fishin season" which runs from April through to Sept 30 when I call it a season and pack my gear away for the winter and go into that self imposed "hibernation" every year.

This year, that hibernation and those seasons were messed up just a lot. "Fishin season" for me, didn't begin until June 6 which is 6 weeks later than normal for me because the pier in Pt Bruce was closed until June 5th, and since "hockey season" was all messed up for the same reasons, it will be ending with the Stanley Cup being awarded no later than Oct 4 for the 2019/2020 season, and training camp for the 2020/2021 season won't start until Nov 17, regular season on Dec 1. So since my "seasons" have been all messed up this year, I'm considering extending my "fishin season" into October maybe.

Other than Pt Bruce, which would be a given for me anyways, any suggestions where I might go try my luck for perch from shore with a reasonable chance of success IF I decide to do it.

@TrevorM I don't shore fish much , and never target perch off shore on Erie , if you can get out in a boat perch fishing can be good in deep water
If you willing to drive fishing the upper Niagara just little down from the peace bridge " not bad for walking there on shore " you can catch walleye and trout
On the lower Niagara " a bit more drive " at the Queenstown boat ramp you can catch walleye and trout as well salmon
You could also look at like Bayfield river harbor or any river mouth and fish for salmon and trout
I never liked / have patients fishing lakes from shore , but if its moving water river / outflows I'm in

October simply has the overpowering stench and built-in frustration and stupid costs of musky fishing for me... right up until December 15th..

I’m fond (apparently) of dodging Volkswagen sized drift-ice on lake St.clair or sleet, snow and hail in Georgian bay because its not only refreshing, but chances of a pickerel sunburn are Minimal.

The feeling of lugging around 160 pounds of musky lures in a 16 foot aluminum boat can’t be beat. It’s calming watching the fuel consumption triple and the speed reduce by half. Why rush this time of year, right?? Just “more Time on the water”...

Similar to Xmas, not only are Christmas decorations coming out in stores but this is when fine tackle shop owners jack up the prices on 100lb power-pro and all musky lures. It’s like the “changing of the seasons”. It’s something visa looks forward to each and every year

October first to December 15th.. full-on musky fishing for me.

On the December 16th and 17th I spend time in my garage alone in my boat, in the dark, with a few cases of Coors “banquet” regretting it all,, and texting my girlfriend from the boat in the garage “I’m sorry baby”...“Can I come in?”,; “next year i won’t be musky fishing, this time I mean it”

December 23 is usually when my sex starts life return

it’s nice to have A schedule at least. I guess

I got some Musky baits for sale in classifieds...... :cool:. I know that might mean hiding them for a month, but I suspect you already have a place for that in the garage?

Here ya go. 6 baits and box. All lightly or not used. Including a handmade Mike Parker (Handlebars) double 10. $60.00. My attempts at Musky fishing reminded me too much of trying to get the cheerleader from the football team to go out with me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_171803_01.jpg
    IMG_20200809_171803_01.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 78
October simply has the overpowering stench and built-in frustration and stupid costs of musky fishing for me... right up until December 15th..

I’m fond (apparently) of dodging Volkswagen sized drift-ice on lake St.clair or sleet, snow and hail in Georgian bay because its not only refreshing, but chances of a pickerel sunburn are Minimal.

The feeling of lugging around 160 pounds of musky lures in a 16 foot aluminum boat can’t be beat. It’s calming watching the fuel consumption triple and the speed reduce by half. Why rush this time of year, right?? Just “more Time on the water”...

Similar to Xmas, not only are Christmas decorations coming out in stores but this is when fine tackle shop owners jack up the prices on 100lb power-pro and all musky lures. It’s like the “changing of the seasons”. It’s something visa looks forward to each and every year

October first to December 15th.. full-on musky fishing for me.

On the December 16th and 17th I spend time in my garage alone in my boat, in the dark, with a few cases of Coors “banquet” regretting it all,, and texting my girlfriend from the boat in the garage “I’m sorry baby”...“Can I come in?”,; “next year i won’t be musky fishing, this time I mean it”

December 23 is usually when my sex starts life return

it’s nice to have A schedule at least. I guess
Like Pike, I couldn't care less if I ever catch a musky. Never target them, and haven't targeted pike since I left the NWT. Too easy to catch pike up there and I got spoiled. IF I catch one I do. If I don't, even better. Kinda feel the same about bass. ;)

No advice. Just saying it gets harder. I will be switching to the fly rod for steelhead in Nov/Dec. Boat will be put away. Fall is tougher.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)

I have never fished beyond Sept 30 since I moved back to Ontario 12 years ago. Just something I'm thinkin about maybe doing because of how this year had played out. Haven't made a decision one way or the other yet. Still a month to go for me to make up my mind.

I definitely will not be fishing into November, just "considering" extending my fishin season by a couple weeks maybe (weather permitting) because "hockey season" is all buggered up, as is my yearly "hibernation." The deciding factor tho as to whether I do or not will be how much fish I have in the freezer come Sept 30.

Last edited:
if you can get out in a boat perch fishing can be good in deep water
I've had some time to ponder on that @Ticker.

If I had a boat, I have no doubt at all about where I'd be and what I'd be doing. But, that is only in my mind......in all likelihood, the reality is if I ever do get my boat, more often than not I'll be doing the same thing I was doing today, in the same place I was doing it :cautious: and that is not even remotely close to where I'd want to be, nor is it in any way what I wanted to be doing😣

The list of what I was supposed to get done today is in another thread asking about thoughts for Wednesday posted by GMAC. I got most of it done, but cutting the lawn and doing the laundry just wasn't possible because it was raining by the time I got the other stuff done. But I didn't plan the day that way at all.🤫:smuggrin: ;):ROFLMAO:

Go sit on the pier in Bayfield or Goderich. Trout not perch but outside fishing. If you set your rod down leave the bail open and put a loop of line under the elastic band you put on the handle. I have seen a few rods dragged off the pier by fish. Somebody will have long handled net to help you land a fish. Run your line through a 1/2 oz sinker ( not an egg sinker as they roll in the current) then pinch on a small split shot leaving 2-3 feet of line then a lindy float or not, then a smallish hook. Bait can be egg sak with or with out float beads or a full dew worm with air injected. Have also used minnows and I never leave with out 1/2 hour of tossing lures.

Get hunting license, go hunting
No, that's ok. I sold all my guns and gave up hunting well over 20 years ago. Besides, I can't bush wack to go stand on the side of a river to catch a fish, so there's no way I can go trudging through the bush hunting.

Guys I work with catch walleye at the Fanshawe damn all summer, he said it’s all bass now
I imagine into the fall you would still catch bass. Never been myself tho

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks