north shore bass 8/8

angler

Had to clean boat today. Neighbour helped then at 10:30 started fishing first hump out of port dover towards woolleys point. Caught about 25 - 30 by 1:00. Really big ones as well. Second best day this year.

Wow that's excellent thks for the report

Arnie better pull up your socks--looks like you got some competition:D

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

packrat...the granchildren were fishing last time out, I was only the guide with the boat. Congratulations angler...it's awesome when you find them and SW winds are my favourite for SM.

quote:
Originally posted by packrat

Wow that's excellent thks for the report

Arnie better pull up your socks--looks like you got some competition:D

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Thanks.
Does anyone know where to check where commercial boats can fish? Friend who was out in sailboat said after we left commercial boat dragged the area.

Hi angler, there is definitely restrictions west of Port Dover. I doubt they would drag for fish anywhere near shore. Offshore they frequently drag for smelt and I've seen them do that many times when fishing the Elbow or the Lighthouse for Walleye and Rainbow. I have no idea what the by-catch would be...obviously there is by-catch. Your best bet to get info would be to stop at the Lake Erie Management Unit office in Port Dover and speak to Kurt Oldenburg. Kurt is a biologist with the MNR...hopefully not impacted by all the cuts in funding.
quote:
Originally posted by angler

Thanks.
Does anyone know where to check where commercial boats can fish? Friend who was out in sailboat said after we left commercial boat dragged the area.

Thanks Duck Soup.
Having only seen them out at the lighthouse,I found it hard to believe and challenged my my friend about it; but he was born in Port Dover and swears it was true. Maybe they were just dumping by-catch?
I will stop by the office you suggested though.

I was out Wed afternoon and saw a fishing tug in about 15 ft. of water out in front of the pump house ,I wondered what he was doing there, didnt think he should be fishing

I contacted Kurt Oldenburg about this incident. Here's his reply including some info re where the commercial guys can't fish:
====================================================================
Hi Dave

Apologies for not getting back, I was on vacation and have just gotten back and am weeding through my emails.

Not exactly certain of the location but there are restrictions in commercial fishing in LPB. There is no gill or trawl west of a line from Bluff bar to Turkey point and within 1 mile of shore from turkey Point to the west pier in Port Dover. As well there is a restriction on canned nets from a line at the tip of the point north to shore between June 1 and Sept 15th.

There is a distinct possibility that what was observed was our boat as well as we conduct our Long Point Bay Index Gillnet Survey during the summer months that does include nearshore areas from the tip of the point all around the bay to past Nanticoke. It is possible they were out pulling on those dates.

Cheers

Kurt

Kurt Oldenburg

Fisheries Ecology Supervisor

Lake Erie Management Unit

Box 429, 1 Passmore Street,

Port Dover ON N0A 1N0

Hey Angler, can you help me understand where Woolleys point is? (Between Port Ryerse and Dover??)

I have always had trouble boating small mouth in the fall at LPB... it sounds like I'm not fishing the right spots!!

If you would like to share your technique, I would be fine with that too :D

Thanks in advance...

[^]the tug u seen was cleaning fish from the nets its easier to drift and do a job also fisheries canada regulates were to and were not to fish the fisheries are givien zones top fish mnr hands out quotas and zones [:I]

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks