No perch for us, it's Chicken Korma Tonight!

Your family would starve here @Hooked on Ice , it's already dead, I'm not killing it again cooking it. Medium rare at the very most, 120 and then wrap and rest..

Yorkshire pudding my suggestion.
I wouldn't turn down a Medium Rare. Looks like sweet potatoes mixed with some vegies is getting ready to hit the oven here. There will be mashed potatoes for those that don't like the sweet potatoes.
I had to look up Yorkshire pudding, looks like it would go well with the prime rib. I was thinking, who eats pudding with a prime rib. Learned something new today.

Attachments

• 20210215_165044.jpg
    20210215_165044.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 12
I wouldn't turn down a Medium Rare. Looks like sweet potatoes mixed with some vegies is getting ready to hit the oven here. There will be mashed potatoes for those that don't like the sweet potatoes.

I had to look up Yorkshire pudding, looks like it would go well with the prime rib. I was thinking, who eats pudding with a prime rib. Learned something new today.

Never heard of it before? I know where you aren't from. LOL

@packrat Yorkshire pudding is amazing with roast beef and gravy.
we just buy the clubhouse packages whip it up real quick delicious I can just imagine your mothers recipe is even better!

I’ll likely pick a recipe off the Internet next time we cook up a prime rib roast! I never thought to make it from scratch.

mother used to make Yorkshire pudding (from scratch} to go with roast beef when they could afford it. it was a little slice of heaven. looked for recipes but nothing even comes close

It's not just the recipe, it's the execution. It's rare to find the "earth shattering" Yorkshire any more, even in my house, and The Wife makes a really good version.

It's not just the recipe, it's the execution. It's rare to find the "earth shattering" Yorkshire any more, even in my house, and The Wife makes a really good version.
I make Yorkshires all the time..there are fights at the table over them.
A foolproof recipe is
1 cup flour
1cup milk
1 tbsp baking powder
2 eggs

Mix all ingredients.. I like to have ingredients at room temp.
In a muffin tin, place1 tbsp Golden Crisco in each of the cups..usually 12 will do.
Heat in a 425F oven until HOT. Fill cups to the top with batter. Back into the oven for 15-20 mins until just golden. They usually puff up nice.

My household has similar dilemma, what will go with this prime rib roast? I suspect mashed potatoes and possibly broccoli. I like it cooked to a medium, the rest of the house hold is Medium well - well done, so will aim for medium well for a semi happy medium :) .
That doesn't look like any Prime Rib I've ever seen. Must have cut the bones off it. I agree with @hvyhaul, to a certain extent. You wouldn't starve here because my wife likes it medium well to well, but I like it medium rare, which is easy enough to accommodate, she get's the end pieces which will be that medium well to well, and I take mine out of the middle where it's medium rare.

IF I wanted to get "fancy" I'd serve it with yorkshire pudding, a red wine au jus, along with duchess potatoes (mashed potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg piped onto a baking sheet using a star tip and finished in the oven until golden brown and I might "fancy" those up a bit by using sour cream instead of milk when I mash those potatoes, and add bacon bits and chives to it just to add a little more flavor and color and if I really wanted to make those "fancy" I'd put some shredded cheese on them allowing it to just carmalize before taking them out to serve) you can keep the broccoli, we'd have peas and carrots or corn with it, maybe I'd glaze some carrots instead along with some zucchini and peppers, and maybe a ceasar or greek salad without the olives and feta.

We aren't having the issue of figuring out what to have with supper as side dishes, we're having an issue trying to figure out what TO have for supper tonight. Neither of us are hungry at the moment, so that complicates things a little when it comes to making that decision. ;):LOL:

Last edited:
Most restaurants that serve prime rib on their menu will serve it with Yorkshire pudding. It's almost sacrilegious not too;). I don't make them very often at home since it's just my wife and I, but here's the recipe I learned when I was working in the restaurants,

• 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (approximately)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 cup flour (approximately)
  • 2 tablespoons lard (or beef dripping or vegetable oil)
  • 2 tablespoons water (cold)
Step 1 Preheat the oven to 450 F

Step 2 Crack the eggs into a bowl. Note the measurement (it should be around 1 cup). Measure out the same amount of flour as the eggs and set aside. Measure out an amount of milk equal to the eggs and add to the bowl with the eggs.

Step 3 add the pinch of salt. Whisk thoroughly with an electric hand beater or do it by hand using a whisk. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Step 4 Slowly add the flour into the milk and egg mixture, again using an electric hand beater or by hand with a whisk to create a lump-free batter. Let the batter rest in the kitchen for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible (I like to make the batter and let it sit over night. They fluff up better)

Step 5 Put 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil into each opening in a 12-hole muffin tin. Place in the hot oven until the fat is smoking.

Step 6 Add 2 tablespoons of cold water to the batter and give it another good whisk. Fill the openings in tin 1/3 full with batter and return quickly to the oven. (I don't use water for this part. I was taught to cover the bottom of a sauce pan with red wine, bring it to a boil, which will cook off the alcohol, but the flavor remains, then add beef stock along with a standard mirepoix, {carrots, celery and onion} seasoned with a little fresh garlic, thyme and rosemary in a cheese cloth bag and then bring it to a boil again for 30 minutes. Once it's boiled for 30 minutes remove from heat and let cool. I do this usually the day before so it gets more of the flavors infused into the stock as it cools and sits over night.)

Step 7 Bake approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown, puffed, and crisp. IF you have left over batter, you can either make more by repeating steps 5 and 6 or you can just get rid of it.

This was the simple recipe I was taught. Of course since we were doing it in a restaurant, it was an every day thing and we at minimum quadrupled it to ensure we had enough for the day. We served a lot of prime rib with yorkies back in those days.

the recipes I did look up are for something that is called puff pastry??

mom's "pudding" had the texture of well ----a pudding? but we didn't care----piping hot from the oven and slathered with gravy----i'm drooling as a I type.

thanks for the recipe Trevor i'll have to give it a try (y)

the recipes I did look up are for something that is called puff pastry??

mom's "pudding" had the texture of well ----a pudding? but we didn't care----piping hot from the oven and slathered with gravy----i'm drooling as a I type.

thanks for the recipe Trevor i'll have to give it a try (y)
Puff pastry is another beast all on it's own. It's usually used for things like Beef Wellington. Hated working with it.

Maybe next time I'm in Brantford Gord I'll come and make you some yorkies and while I'm at it, visit with my uncle. He lives in the same complex you do, then again, since most trips we make to Brantford are spur of the moment, unless for a family gathering either at Mohawk Park, maybe the conservation area, or a wedding or funeral, you might be waiting a long time.:ROFLMAO:

the recipes I've looked up call "pudding" puff pastry

mom's "pudding had the texture of well a "pudding" /pancake? but we didn't care---piping hot from the oven and covered with gravy.

thanks for the recipe Trevor---will keep it and try it some time (y)

Loved your suggestions and landed on basmati rice, garden salad and snow peas as sides. Made a few samosas and mango chutney to start. Here’s @stomp’s first plate… good thing the samosas were baked not deep fried!

P.S. With a mom who was born in England, I would also have suggested Yorkshire pudding for the Prime Rib side.
1613434208101.png

Homemade Samosas? Lucky man there @stomp , I am a huge fan of them and found a place in Etobicoke that makes a great product.

Now I just have to get load down the street from them. :rolleyes:

Brisket for the coming weekend, oven style. :giggle:🤗🤗😁

I never thought to make it from scratch.
we just buy the clubhouse packages whip it up real quick
@Derkd9 stop wasting your money on that store bought packaged powder stuff. It's just as quick and easy to make it from scratch and probably a little cheaper. Eggs, milk, flour, and cooking oil of some kind and a muffin pan is all you really need. (see the recipe I posted for some slight variations for flavoring;))

@Trevor M yah for sure going to give it a try all items listed are usually all in stock in the kitchen as well thanks

We had Chicken Rueben, on Saturday evening. First time for it and won't be the last. The home made Sauerkraut made it. Mrs. Stomp. Think you will like it.
4 chicken breast
1 bag of kruat,(good handful) over top.
6 slices of Swiss cheese on top of kruat.
1 cup of homemade thousand island dressing over cheese.
Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.
Spice your chicken with favourite. Just a little salt and pepper for this time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks