Off Topic No More Hydro Plant....

The questions are:
1) how much contaminants put that plant in Erie lake?
2) how long will these contaminants linger around?

On the other hand:
1)Is the rest of the world helping in a clean up?
2) Will our small part help in the long scheme of things?
3) Did they do the right thing shutting it down?

The reporter say the wind conditions good! Offshore winds today blowing Carcinogens all over my feeding grounds!

I sometime wonder why I post this stuff, I just thought it was kind of neat and bit sad to see it go and all it does is stir up a bunch of crap. It is over and done with so the questions and concerns are kind of moot at this point. There are tons of rules and regulations that govern these demolition projects so I have to imagine that every possible precaution was taken to ensure that the fish didn't get too dusty and the lake filled with asbestos but there will always be those conspiracy theories floating around. Maybe everyone should stay away from Nanticoke for a year or two and leave the fish for me.

I sometime wonder why I post this stuff, I just thought it was kind of neat and bit sad to see it go and all it does is stir up a bunch of crap. It is over and done with so the questions and concerns are kind of moot at this point. There are tons of rules and regulations that govern these demolition projects so I have to imagine that every possible precaution was taken to ensure that the fish didn't get too dusty and the lake filled with asbestos but there will always be those conspiracy theories floating around. Maybe everyone should stay away from Nanticoke for a year or two and leave the fish for me.
Well said G Mech.I stand with you !

It is neat and sad and yes they've been working on the demo prep for quite awhile. Lots of big $ jobs gone and my hydro rates keep going up. I still miss the INCO stack in Port Colborne even though with gps I don't need it to find my ice fishing spots. Some folks will all ways see the worst. Probably get more carcinogens eating an over cooked hamburger and spaying on bug dope. No mater how long you live something will kill you. Enjoy today.

Things change but unfortunately mindsets are the slowest to change. If as individuals we do not strive to make our world a better place by supporting what we believe in, whatever that is, we will not be around to enjoy our life here on earth. G. Mech, thanks for the article. Nobody complained much when turkeys were reintroduced to our Province and the reason they were gone was the same reason our fishing is not what it used to be when we do not manage our resources and be responsible as individuals. The west end of our lake is getting worse thanks to "others" not caring but just because someone else cares, does not mean you do not have to. Not trying to stir the pot, just want people to get along and work together for the greater good, sometimes you go backwards to go ahead like the loss of high paying jobs as mentioned above but while what this particular property is going to have on it next is controversial as well, it will have some jobs associated with it, are they a different type/skillset requirement and pay scale of job, likely yes. I still don't know how the Walleye found the Elbow this year without the stacks there to reference- see, even the fish accept change too!

Things change but unfortunately mindsets are the slowest to change. If as individuals we do not strive to make our world a better place by supporting what we believe in, whatever that is, we will not be around to enjoy our life here on earth. G. Mech, thanks for the article. Nobody complained much when turkeys were reintroduced to our Province and the reason they were gone was the same reason our fishing is not what it used to be when we do not manage our resources and be responsible as individuals. The west end of our lake is getting worse thanks to "others" not caring but just because someone else cares, does not mean you do not have to. Not trying to stir the pot, just want people to get along and work together for the greater good, sometimes you go backwards to go ahead like the loss of high paying jobs as mentioned above but while what this particular property is going to have on it next is controversial as well, it will have some jobs associated with it, are they a different type/skillset requirement and pay scale of job, likely yes. I still don't know how the Walleye found the Elbow this year without the stacks there to reference- see, even the fish accept change too!
Sometimes they dont change for the better!

I did not mean to imply any change is for the better but it is a reality that change occurs. It is up to us to adapt and the make the best of what we have, to dwell on it and say “could have” and “should have” will not put us in the right direction. Closing the plant was, and is still controversial but in the long term the right decision no different than saying it is no longer appropriate to dump our sewage directly into the lake if we want a planet to live on. This is a longer ago decision that likely had some of our distant relatives upset with the requirements and associated costs but hard to argue against. We need to accept that there are better ways to deal with some things and do what each of us can do to influence to get the best decision made.

Ontario is on the windward side of Michigan for the most part...Michigan has 25 coal powered generating stations. Filtration of emissions from coal stacks has become very efficient over the past 15 years. I truly wonder if our previous Govt's decision was the right one. Just some points to consider.

I remember taking a drive through the Adirondacks in upstate New York shortly after Y2K and seeing a a roadside sign way off the beaten track protesting acid rain and mentioning the Nanticoke plant specifically. I'm sure those folks downwind from Nanticoke are breathing easier these days.

Ontario is on the windward side of Michigan for the most part...Michigan has 25 coal powered generating stations. Filtration of emissions from coal stacks has become very efficient over the past 15 years. I truly wonder if our previous Govt's decision was the right one. Just some points to consider.

I thought we had prevailing West winds here, so are we not downwind from Michigan (i.e. Ontario is on the leeward side of MI)? Hopefully it's just a mixup of terminology and not that climate change has really done a number on us already....

Last edited:
Not many yrs ago there was a H1 proposal to switch from burning coal to biomass. This could have been done with very little retrofits, and because of the technology would have produced 0 to next to 0 emissions. Not only would it have kept the plant open saving the jobs there, but also opened up a new source of income for the agricultural sector, (corn, bean, wheat by products as well as crops such as hemp and others, that could be grown on marginal land). It would have also been able to burn industrial waste, scrap such as pallets and construction waste, saving landfill space. The forestry industry could also have benefited by marketing any of their byproducts, tree tops, chips, mill slabs ect.
The government of the day, Liberal, would not even consider it?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks