Night time Salmon

Nice looking catch where were you fishing and what were you using

All the Lake Ontario tribs get lots of Salmon. Runs start further east earlier and work west. After the rain later this week I'll be done with the east of Toronto tribs and focusing more on Port Credit, Bronte etc...

Day/evening lures are usually spoons, lipless crankbaits and larger body baits, J13's are a favourite. After dark I pretty well exclusively toss glow in the dark spoons. Len Thompson and Moonshine are my go to's. The small tear drop shaped moonshines seemed best last night. And a s l o w retrieve is mandatory...

Josh

I totally agree Josh spinning gear & catching salmon doesn't get much better..good job!... use to be Lake O fall browns off jordan harbour & Dalouise was a close 2nd for fighting/action and just not for that pot of gold..
I and we have done alot of fun night fishin for fall salmon & browns from shore and trolling in the boat at night and first light in the channels harbours and rivermouths..
I am planning on heading up to the bruce fishing very soon...I have a couple good head lamps & flashlights...I see your sporting a 3 lamp head lamp...anything else for lighting...
can you suggest suitable lighting for night fishing in the boat...I am fishin solo so i won't blind a partner with them bright lights..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I’m gonna try getting up there soon as possible

can you suggest suitable lighting for night fishing in the boat...I am fishin solo so i won't blind a partner with them bright lights..

This is the one I use. Super bright white centre LED for charging lures, navigating and netting fish plus green lights for general lighting and maintaining night vision. Never had a problem with them lasting all night. Great value IMO

Thankyou for that Josh...good luck fishin when you get out again...

ya that head lamp should do it..so I ordered one from amazon..should have it thursday..hoping the weather cooperates and head up next monday for the week..

Last edited:
Josh, do you mind let me know the depth of water and depth of fishes? Thanks

We're fishing within a mile of the rivermouths or in some cases within the estuaries themselves. The fish are staging and move in and out with water colour, temps, weather conditions and moon phases. I'll throw hardware for them in anywhere from 5-60' of water. Magic temp for me is 62f. I'm watching for onshore surface water to drop to that temp before I'll expect a decent bite with a reasonable chance of survival upon release.

Josh

that sounds like way to much fun. never contemplated a night fish like that but sounds like something i need to get on the agenda. can anyone tell me more about the brown trout action on west shore....have wanted to give this a spin and sounds like they are coming back in shallow in fall again....will this last til end of Oct?

Yes it will! Remember- Browns are fall spawners- hense the move to shallow waters. So are Lakers and the Browns love their spawn! Get the drift! Good luck out there! and enjoy.

thanks walleyeman.....whats the timeline on Lake O....are they starting already and when do they typically shut down...i am very familiar with northern laker patterns as alot of experience back home in Manitoba....this just looks like it could be a ton of fun and nice way to spend a few hours at the end of season

Anytime now! Once the Kings really start to show up in shallow in come the Browns! Good Luck my friend- Walleyeman.

thanks. am out of country for a couple weeks so hopefully they are still playing around early Oct

I will be going to lake O this Saturday out front of bronte With all this rain it could good :)

This is the one I use. Super bright white centre LED for charging lures, navigating and netting fish plus green lights for general lighting and maintaining night vision. Never had a problem with them lasting all night. Great value IMO
@Josh Roelofsen , is that the light you use down on Pt. Stanley beach in the wee hours???

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks