New to me

can't miss

At today's meeting of bullshitters, tall tails and lie's at our local Tim's men's hour, couple young guys at the next table over heard one of our over 55 club mention that if he didn't shoot his powder gun during his days hunt, he just un caps it for the evening and carries on the next day.
The young guys said this is now illegal and powder must be removed nightly? I have always been under the impression that as long as a powder gun is un-capped, your good? They did say this is a federal law, so mnr might not enforce this but police will? Anybody heard of this? maybe I'm just out of date?

The young guys are incorrect.

I copied the following from the hunting regulations. Page 26 of 112 reads as follows.

‘A muzzle-loading gun is a gun that is loaded through the muzzle. A percussion muzzle- loading gun is considered to be loaded if there is a charge of powder and a projectile in the barrel and a percussion cap on the nipple. A flint-lock muzzle-loading gun is considered to be loaded if there is a charge of powder and a projectile in the barrel and the vent is unplugged. An electronic ignition muzzle- loading gun is considered to be loaded if there is a projectile in the barrel and a battery connected to the primer or charge. Under federal regulations pertaining to storage and transport of firearms, a muzzle-loading gun is not unloaded unless any propellant, projectile or cartridge has been removed from the breech or firing chamber.’

Booyah, the first part of that is the way I've always understood it. But does that last sentence not say different?

Not to me. It specifies breech and firing chamber. Neither of which imply that the powder and or the projectile that are in the chamber need to be removed.

If the young guys’ theory were true then the very moment legal shooting time expires every single hunter participating in a hunt while using a muzzleloader would be in violation of storage/transport laws. Removing the 209 primer/percussion cap etc. renders the firearm unloaded as per our current regulations.

Hey Booyah, only posted this cause it was new's to me? The young guys weren't promoting a theory, just chiming in to inform, they seemed like good guys?
I don't like it, sounds like government contradicting government, probably not going to change my ways.
But how can you say, any propellant, projectile or cartridge has to be removed from the breech or fire chamber, isn't what it say's? it couldn't be clearer? Posted this to maybe help others from being pinched, not looking for a pisser, sure other's out there know the actual legal. It seem's F-ing stupid to me, for the reasons you mentioned, legal light ect, but not looking to donate $$ for a technicality I wasn't aware of? It does say, going by what you stated, propellant or projectile removed?

No worries can’t miss. There’s nothing wrong with having conflicting interpretations. Everything that I posted with the exception of the excerpt from the regs should be considered my opinion only.

I should also add that I may be entirely incorrect on my interpretation as well. I may be closer to the old guys club then I’d like to admit.

Yes, it is an issue. Federal and provincial regulations do not mesh. With powder and bullet in the barrel, but no primer/cap the muzzleloader is loaded by federal standards and unloaded by provincial standards.

Truth is nobody complies with the federal standards regarding transport and storage. You'd know that everyone was in compliance by the massive volley of shots at 1 minute before the end of shooting light.

I just finished the 3rd controlled hunt.. 3 of our group are law enforcement,, both provincial and federal.. and I'll tell you right now,, not one of our guns had anything more taken out of them than the primers at night, or when travelling between properties.

I just finished the 3rd controlled hunt.. 3 of our group are law enforcement,, both provincial and federal.. and I'll tell you right now,, not one of our guns had anything more taken out of them than the primers at night, or when travelling between properties.
Off duty cops can get away with anything by flashing a badge, so I don't tend to follow their example as I don't have a badge to flash.

It isn't the hunting cop that I'm worried about. It is the cop that's never heard of a muzzleloader that worries me. We all travel between spots with a projectile down the barrel and I've never heard of anyone being charged with transporting a loaded firearm, but if it does happen we will all be begging for a shotgun season in a hurry.

At today's meeting of bullshitters, tall tails and lie's at our local Tim's men's hour, couple young guys at the next table over heard one of our over 55 club mention that if he didn't shoot his powder gun during his days hunt, he just un caps it for the evening and carries on the next day.
The young guys said this is now illegal and powder must be removed nightly? I have always been under the impression that as long as a powder gun is un-capped, your good? They did say this is a federal law, so mnr might not enforce this but police will? Anybody heard of this? maybe I'm just out of date?
i hunt black powder and got stop by the opp on the way to my stand he checked me out and asked if my gun was loaded i told him it was but not caped no problem end of conversation

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks