New old oil ?

Fish Farmer

I have some old Castrol 30 Reg oil motor oil bottles never been open.
Bought it years ago for my inboard engine 4.3 V6, I hate to throw it away if anyone can use it.
Would it go bad just sitting never opened.

Most oil companies say it has a max shelf life of about 5 years if stored properly unopened while some say best used within 2 years. However, since they have a vested interest in you buying new oil who really knows. :unsure:

Thanks guys, It must be 20 years old, If anyone wants it, it's yours.
Last I heard it's expensive to get 30 Reg.
Probably because it's now considered a specialty item as new engines take thinner oils than ever before. The old days when everything ran on HD30 including our outboards are long over.
Does that show how old we are FF? :eek: 😁

Not sure about an expiry date but it might not have the additives newer oil contains.

This is correct. Just to expand on this though. 20 year old oil is fine, but it will only meet 20 year old certifications. Thus it should only be used in 20+ year old equipment. 20 year motor oil is probably API SH. We're up to SP now. Any newer engine will require newer spec oil.

Blackstone labs did an article a while ago where they analyzed oil from the 50s in unopened cans and the oil tested like the day it was first purchased. They advised against using it in any modern vehicle though, it barely had any additives at all.

If memory serves me ( feel free it question it ) most lawn and garden equipment takes 30 weight oil.

If memory serves me ( feel free it question it ) most lawn and garden equipment takes 30 weight oil.
To my knowledge mostly all 4 stroke garden equipment recommend multi grade oil now in 10W30. My lawn tractor is 20 years old now which always used 10W30 as does my walking mower and Honda outboard. My snow blower uses 5W30 for cold weather use.

Snow blowers and riding lawn mowers are a perfect use of SAE30 oil. I wouldn't bat an eye at putting it into something like that even being "old oil". I'm not sure if it has become pricey, i believe around 4-5 bucks a liter at TSC last i saw

I use that in my old International 276 tractor, 1972 version. If you cannot get a taker I will use it this fall when I change the oil before winter.

My air cooled Argo Kohler Magnum engine calls for a straight 30W oil as she runs pretty hot in the summer. So hot that we had to make a firewall out if expanded metal to allow the heat out. Now my leg hairs curl like a poodle. Guess that's the reason they went to liquid cooled engines.

Snow blowers and riding lawn mowers are a perfect use of SAE30 oil.

I actually don't think a straight 30 weight oil would be a good idea in a snowblower that calls for 5w30. They need to be able to start on very cold winter mornings and a straight 30 will be pretty thick. Riding mower in the summer will likely be fine.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks