New Long Point Causeway bridge at Big Creek ?

Old Cut LongPointer

Having read a letter from the contractor(s) regarding start/finish dates for Stages 1 and 2 of replacing the bridge at Big Creek it looks like they are serious this time. Stage 1 will commence in April 2021 and be completed November 2021 whereas Stage 2 will start November 2021 and be completed June 2022.
Stage 1 involves the realignment of the Causeway on the west side and a New(single lane) Bridge to be built while keeping both traffic lanes open on Old Bridge until November 2021 at which point Stage 2 kicks in and the Old Bridge will be removed and the other half of the New Bridge will be completed. This means the New single lane will use traffic control lights until the second half of bridge is completed. It also mentions that people visiting the Wildlife Refuge should not park on the Causeway.

This is going to mess up this Falls hunt for those that shoot up Big Creek or it's mouth or B Zone but at least ... finally... the bridge will be replaced. There was no mention of any other Causeway work to be done as the letter was from those only involved in the Bridge Project.

Just curious how you figure the bridge repair will impact hunting the blinds up Big Creek or B Zone? I'm pretty sure they cant stop anyone from traveling up or down the navigate waters by boat.

Sounds like a big inconvenience for Cronmillers though.

Just curious how you figure the bridge repair will impact hunting the blinds up Big Creek or B Zone? I'm pretty sure they cant stop anyone from traveling up or down the navigate waters by boat.

Sounds like a big inconvenience for Cronmillers though.
Im sure they can for recreational use,I for one don't really care to drive under it at this point we are humans and we do make mistakes and they call them accidents

True , they can't stop use of the water but parking on the side of the road won't be happening. Building a bridge is going to require big equipment... big equipment means big noise most likely.

True again, Cronmillers ramp may not be usable even though the letter stated that properties will remain accessible or as such notice will be given should a closure be needed.

I have access to one of the properties located in the work zone so therefore was given a copy of the notices and thought I should share the information. I haven't hunted up Big Creek in years but I imagine this bridge building project will inconvenience those that do .

Hello OCLP,

I received a copy of that letter as well earlier this week.

However a previous letter informed us that the road along the causeway will be rebuilt following the completion of the bridge replacement ... so that will start sometime after June of 2022.

I agree ... access to the Big Creek blinds may be an issue for some hunters.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

This week several Hydro One crews have been working on tranferring their hydro line to the west of the old bridge ... should be completed by tomorrow morning according to their hydro interruption notices.

Jerome

Did they mention who was awarded the contract for the bridge replacement? As for the waterway don't be surprised if water access under the bridge is shutdown especially when doing the tear downs. There is not alot of head room between the water and the bridge, the demo company (hopefully it's PDI )will have to contain/trap all the slurry, dust and debris due to the sensitivity of the environment. Good luck to the winner of this contract, MOE and the environmental consultants are going to be right up your ass, I'm already adding a year to there completion date. Hope I'm wrong, enough tax payers money has been spent on this bridge.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks