New Fisherman

docs

I am just new at boating and fishing and I have small children. I am looking for some good safe places to go boating and fishing without getting in to trouble with my boat. I only have a 16ft Sea Ray boat---not very deep.

Thanks

The inner bay is a good place to start, usually protected from the winds and it's not overly deep,just pay attention to the weather.

Go to Old Cut Livery on long point, it's a good launch and you can take your time and learn a bit (on the week days). When you come out of the channel within 1000feet you can fish and catch small perch,sunfish,bluegill,rockies and just about everything else that is in the bay , depending on time of year. When you are in the weed puffs off old cut , that is the perfect place. If there is any place that is perfect for small kids, this would be the spot to go, also to practise your boating skills/Launching;).

Brian (Legend Man)

Docs,
I have a 6yr. old, 4yr. old and 2yr. old who are all learning the ropes but the best thing I have found is the slip float. They cast better than standard bobbers and depth can be easily changed. There is just something about watching the bobber that kids love...that being said, I often find myself using their poles for panfish! :D

Landlocked - good point about the slip floats. I use them all the time with my son (now age 6). Much easier for the little guys to cast without 3' of line hanging down from the end of their rod.

The only downside is that they take longer to rig up, especially when he constantly wants to switch between casting lures and still fishing.

Teach them to use a regular spinning reel as soon as possible. I started my little guy on an ice fishing rod, then for this summer bought him a 4' ultralight. He can now fully manage a 7' rod on his own.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks