Off Topic Never would have thought

blackeyes

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Sorry for the long read but need to tell the whole story. Was out on the St Clair river a few days back before the lock down. Strong river current from the north and 15 km winds from the south cause the river to be pretty rough this day. Launched at Fawn Island ramp and headed south about 3 km where we set for the first drift. Made about 8 drifts in two hours. Picked up a couple nice Walters but the wind was picking up, river was getting rougher and the bite was slow so time to head back to the launch. Took my time but was busting waves all the way. Got to where I could turn in towards the ramp and the motor coughs and quits and wouldn’t fire again. Thank goodness for the electric bow mount. Got into the ramp loaded her up and headed home to see if I could figure out the problem. The ball was pumped hard and being that she wouldn’t fire has to be a fuel problem. Had a quick look but I’m not a motor expert so a call to Bridge Yacht Marine was my next step. Thursday last week made the trip to Port Dover. I’ve had this boat since almost new, 30 years. 16’ Doral bow rider with a 150 super six Suzuki. So after about 30 minutes I get the diagnosis, water in the fuel and not just a little bit, more than 3 liters. Fuel line was full and so were the three carbs. How in hell did that happen. Ran great for two hours. So here was the problem and it has been like this since the boat was built says the mechanic as he fixed the problem. My fuel tank overflow/vent is located a few feet back from the bow. It’s about the size of a loonie with two holes in it, one is supposed to point down and the other towards the stern. Makes good sense. Not mine. One pointed up and the other towards the bow so every wave I busted was driving water right into the tank. Never had it out in waves this rough before as I mainly only ever used it on northern lakes till this year. Who would have thought. Thanks to Bridge Yacht for the repair and she is good to go again. If your vent is near the front of your boat have a quick look it might save you some down time.

Down time ? Like in Davey Jones locker type of "down time" by the sounds of it ? Good to hear a happy ending to your story because it could have happened on a different day , different body of water with a much worse ending.

Had the same thing happen back in 1983 when I bought a brand new Doral with a 115 hp Mercury. First day we go Coho salmon fishing 22 miles out on Erie and the lake blows up after a few hours so we head in. We get about 5 miles off Port Stanley the engine starts to sputter getting worse as we go until 2 miles off port she quits for good. Tried to anchor but in 7-10 ft. waves I end up breaking both anchors off then we drift getting hammered for 7 hours before being picked up by a fishing tug 10 miles offshore of Port Burwell. When I got the boat checked they found that the bow tank vent was installed improperly at the factory. The vent hose should come off the tank looped up to underneath the front deck strapped in an arch before being attached to the hull side vent so water can drain back out if it gets in the vent. It just came straight out of the tank to the vent so like you had happen the waves just kept pushing water straight into the tank. My current boat the tank is under the floor and the vents are at the back so no chance of water getting in.

Had the same thing happen back in 1983 when I bought a brand new Doral with a 115 hp Mercury. First day we go Coho salmon fishing 22 miles out on Erie and the lake blows up after a few hours so we head in. We get about 5 miles off Port Stanley the engine starts to sputter getting worse as we go until 2 miles off port she quits for good. Tried to anchor but in 7-10 ft. waves I end up breaking both anchors off then we drift getting hammered for 7 hours before being picked up by a fishing tug 10 miles offshore of Port Burwell. When I got the boat checked they found that the bow tank vent was installed improperly at the factory. The vent hose should come off the tank looped up to underneath the front deck strapped in an arch before being attached to the hull side vent so water can drain back out if it gets in the vent. It just came straight out of the tank to the vent so like you had happen the waves just kept pushing water straight into the tank. My current boat the tank is under the floor and the vents are at the back so no chance of water getting in.
Now it is clear there the nick Wave Runner comes from. Scary story!

Spoke with a guy once who got into big storm not far from Colpoys bay in 22ft caddy and he said he though he'll die for sure so he put his wallet in front pocket of his jeans and taped around a leg above with duck tape so he get IDed if found. Made me take it all much more serious.

Now it is clear there the nick Wave Runner comes from. Scary story!

Spoke with a guy once who got into big storm not far from Colpoys bay in 22ft caddy and he said he though he'll die for sure so he put his wallet in front pocket of his jeans and taped around a leg above with duck tape so he get IDed if found. Made me take it all much more serious.
Ha ha... not so much a wave runner anymore. Since retiring in 2004 I only fish good days now, no more crazy weekend warrior taunting of an angry Lady Erie for me. LOL! 😁

Happy to hear you made it in regardless. Bridge looked over my Honda 150 HP and 25HP kicker a month or so ago. Honest shop and good work done! Well worth my drive from London.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks