Never seen one of these at my pond ever

SouthernOntariosportsman

Can some one help identify this duck? i want to think it's a red head hen. was with black and white ducks, and was the only one that dropped out of the group of the 15 or so ducks flying by. Never seen any of these ducks at my hunting place, usually just get mallards and woodies and tealthumbnail_IMG_4141.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4142.jpg

Hello there,

I tend to agree with your assessment regarding the identification of this duck but would suggest that you invest in purchasing a copy of LeMaster's Guide to Duck Indentification ... about ten bucks. The unit use to have a copy on hand.

Jerome

We always used the Ducks Unlimited app when me and my buddy were wanting to identify our ducks.
Great description and pictures of both hens and drakes and from puddle ducks to diving ducks to geese etc.
You can bring the app up right after you get a duck and figure it out.

Canvasback hen, juvenile.
I was leaning that way,,,,what throws me off is it's bill, spoon like, and wide, --- but it's all black, no shade difference, and color around neck /ear area not really defined. I don't ever get ducks like this for last 7 years, had a scalp pair there as well , these are ducks that never seem to grace my neck of the woods. a treat for sure. thank you

We always used the Ducks Unlimited app when me and my buddy were wanting to identify our ducks.
Great description and pictures of both hens and drakes and from puddle ducks to diving ducks to geese etc.
You can bring the app up right after you get a duck and figure it out.
thanks, i do check those pages, problem is they don't show all color schemes at certain ages, so that renders those pages useless. And to boot, i hunted same pond for 7 years, never get ducks like this,

Can Hen juvenile looks right. The slope of the bill is a dead giveaway. Came in with some black & white birds ? Bluebills maybe or Ringnecks ?

Can Hen juvenile looks right. The slope of the bill is a dead giveaway. Came in with some black & white birds ? Bluebills maybe or Ringnecks ?
could be a ringneck, or lesser scaup, never seen them at all where i have hunted the past 27 years. i know the guys that hunt the lakes see them, i do wish for more varieties to keep coming in to my pond.

My 2 cents is a Redhead. Canvas backs in juvenile or full Adult plumage have a feather variegation that no other duck has. The feather tips radiate in the sunlight. I have not hunted for many years but we used to set-up for canvas backs mid November. The wild celery beds are normally what they feed on ( before Ackers cut out a channel). Very odd to shoot a canny on a pond hunt.
America. The adult male, or drake, is a large white-bellied, grey-backed duck with a black chest, sloping forehead, and ruddy chestnut head and neck. The adult female is about the same size and has the same sloping forehead and long bill. Less colourful, she is more able to blend into her surroundings when on the nest or rearing her young. She is white-bellied with a pale brown back and reddish brown head, neck, and chest. Male and female Canvasbacks resemble Redheads and Ring-necked Ducks of the corresponding sex, but can be distinguished from them by their longer black bills and less abrupt foreheads.

In early autumn, the young of both sexes resemble adult females, although their breast plumage is more mottled and their back plumage is darker. During November, the young males begin to resemble the adult males, and by February the adult plumage of both sexes has almost completely grown in.

The genus Aythya to which the Canvasback belongs includes 12 species, five of which occur in North America. These are the Canvasback, Redhead, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, and Ring-necked Duck. Generally, all Aythya species have rounded bodies with large feet, legs set back on the body, and a broad bill. They are all diving ducks.

Anyone who thinks this is a redhead is absolutely 100% wrong, no question. No Redhead hen has the extensive vermiculation patterns that this bird has on the back and sides. And anyone who has looked at the shapes and colours of the bills of the canvasback vs. the redhead would have no doubt about it's identification. No need to discuss this any further.

Omg no question it’s a redhead I guess you don’t shoot enough to know the difference I will send pictures of lots of them for you tomorrow

1603449103390.jpegSee the dark bill and slope of it this is a hen can the bird that is in question looks nothing like a can

Well SOS we all agree it is either a Redhead or Can hen. Either way a pretty unusual bird to shoot in a pond. Both are considered "Big Water" species. (anything can happen, I once shot a Red Head in a flock of mallards coming into our dry land setup in a corn field!)

They are also closely related. Unfortunately the camera angles don't give us a clear view of what are in my mind the two features that distinguish them most conclusively. I am sure if we had a shot of the birds head in profile with bill closed or a closeup of the bill from top down there would be no argument. The Can has a distinctive sloping forehead and the RedHead has a darker tip or nail on the end of its bill.

Unless you are able to provide more photos I am sticking with Can.

there used to be ducks at a distance booklet
heres a up close mixed bag here of cans & redheads..how many of each? ..and ya theres 3 mallards there for our quick 2 man limit

take a closer look at the hens bills to determine cans or redheads

LSC  reds, cans, mallards 002.JPG

LSC  reds, cans, mallards 002.JPG

hey back in the fall of 2016 i started hunted the big flocks of redheads..and cans were there as well..ducks in general have made a good comeback... last year we hunted my favourites twice 2 man limits gadwall widgeon & mallard..
LSC Ducks Sat. Oct. 12 104.jpg
LSC Ducks Sat. Oct. 12 097.jpg
good luck out there..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks