Need some help with rod set up

cab01

Hi all, I am interested in setting up 4-6 rods on my boat.

I currently have been using 4 rods with dipsy's but wondering if its worthwhile getting setup with lead core as well? I've never fished with lead core so need a little help as far as reel size/rod size/line setup/and a few tips!!! I currently have 4 rod holders, but my brother inlaw has two handwind down riggers that he said I can have. Is it worth fishing walleye using down riggers?? (never used those either) Am I looking for trouble with 6 lines out? Please feel free to share tips on set up to avoid tangles as well….Thanks in advance for your help….

Walleye fishing is best jigging and trolling going light. Put erie has two types of Walleye fisherman, Meat hunters and those that like to feel the catch and bonus eats.
Flat lining with a snap weight or next downriggers small body baits or worm harness.
If you're just looking for Meat, then go with a Deep Diver and last go with Lead core.
I hate to admit, but I do steep to using a deep diver.
Lead Core, you'll have more fun wrenching your boat on the trailer.

Cab01. If you atempt the 6 rod spread you wil need a set of boards or in lines . You will need a large capacity reel like a 300 or 400 series Okuma . Best bet is to buy a combo set to start . Riggers on wallys are ok but not as effective as dipseys and lead . You definitely need to be on your game to run 6 rods . The biggest thing to remember is to let the line come to center before you start to bring in a line . I have never had much luck running dips and lead as the dipseys always seem to get into thous long lines and make a mess . Outcast

All good advice and running 4 rods always keeps me more busy than I want to be. When the fishing is really good sometimes I can't look after more than 2 rods but I'm a lot older and slower than most. :)

In my boat 3 man / 6 rod setup is ideal. However NO DRASTIC TURNS! I have run up to 8 rods but when you start hitting walleyes, you may want to stick to that area so maneuvering is a problem. I run 2 riggers, 2 dipsies on 3 setting and 2 lead core or deep running body baits off planner boards. With sheephead and silver bass in the picture you are kept busy and may only end up with 4 rods in the water for a good part of the day. When it's rough I will go with 4 riggers and 2 dipsies. You always run the risk of dragging any kind of fish so when you do make a turn, one line will track different than the rest and may tangle with another. Bottom line is, how relaxed do you want to be out there. Some days I find more rods a fun challenge and other days a "reel" pain in the arse. My two cents, hope this helps.

Need a least a 400 or 500 series reel to get 10 colours of lead on the spool. Doesn't mean it all has to go out but if you get a tangle and have to cut a colour or 2 off your still fishing. I've pretty much given up on riggers in Erie. As lead core so much less hassle. Seem to have best luck 4 or 6 colours + ripplin red on in line planner board

Everyone will have there own opinion of what they like and what works best for them! There are allot of different ways or combinations to run 5 or more rods!!!! you will have to experiment with different set-ups.

I usually get out on Erie, Huron, Ontario 7/8 times a year in up too 5 / 6 different boats!!!! So i have the oportunity to see / try several different setups.

Based on your current setup...ie 4 dipsy's...the easiest way to run extra lines would be (my opinion) add a 10 colour leadcore straight out the back of the boat. once you master 5 rods....take an inline board hook it too the leadcore out the back and send it out the side (dipsys should be deep enough ..not to hook leadcore as it passes over it) ...then send another leadcore out the back and either leave it there or use another inline board and send out the other side.

on huron (port elgin) we usually only run 5 rods (lake is ruff and boat can get turned easily& and we make sharp turns in the humps!)
2 down riggers 30-50' leads, 2 dipsy's (1 each side)100-200' back (depended on season and depth), and 10 colour leadcore straight out the back.
All fish are brought in up the shoot (back of boat, not side) without having tangles or clearing lines. we will move the leadcore to another rod holder usually in the rigger extra holder (opposite side as fish got hooked)

On Ontario...small boats 14-16' usually only have 1 rigger in the boat, so we run it, 2 dipsy's and a 10 colour lead out the back. I have been out without riggers so we ran 2 dipsy's and 2 leadcore off the back corners....have to be carefull when turning as boat is only 5' wide and lines are close together....had rainbows tangle the lead lines twice so went with 3 dipsy's and 1 leadcore..

On Erie (5 different boats and 5 different setups)

Ive done

big boards with 2 leadcores off each side (shower curtain hook & alastic band) and 2 riggers with long leads 100' on occasion the long rigger lead has hooked leadcore during turns. personally havnt caught more than a handfull of walleye off riggers....but lots of other people do!

ive also run dipsy's and inline boards with lead out each side of boat and then another lead core off one back corner and another dipsy off the other too achive 6 rods out
Havnt triied it yet...don't have enough boards.

any other time out with 2 people...4 rods...my go to set up is 1 dipsy off each side of boat....and 8&10 colour leadcores out the back or off inline boards.

In my opinion ...there is no right or wrong ...experiment until you find something that works for you!!!

as far as rods go....i use 8 1/2' rods okuma leadcore rods with steel eyes ..reels 45's for 10 colour and 30's for the 6-8 colours....i perfer okuma convectors for leadcore..but have used magnas....I find a slightly better qualtiy reel is best when fighting fish 400-500' back.

choosing best make model...is like buying a car....whats best for you...budget..demands...etc...I'm a middle of the road guy...dont want cheapest and cant afford the best.
Im extremely happy with okuma rods and reels and perfer convectors over magnas....but i have older penn..shimano..diawas.....I upgrade 1 rod and reel ever season.

I am running micro lead now on my cheaper Okuma's. I would say running 6 lines would depend on the size of your boat and experience handling the boat and longlining. I know guys that run 8 lines but they have big, wide boats. The towers of rod holders look like Hydro towers on the side of the road. I have enough of a challenge running 4 rods on my 19 footer, especially if the wind picks up. If she gets choppy I will run 3 only. I have had too many carbunklements of line on the floor and that is no fun. Just a few weeks back I lost 50 bucks of Leadcore. I only use Leadcore because it's easier than running 4 Dipsys. My 1st mate gets the job of reeling the lead in, I tell them they have a fish on and they believe me, man, you lost another one!!!!

Like @Fish Farmer said there is a difference between meat hunting and sports fishing. I would rather drift with heavy bottom bouncers and snap on weights than longline. Especially out on Erie where there is absolutely nothing to see but the horizon.

one question then….if i wanted to run two inline boards and 2 dipsy's…. do i have to worry about the dipsy if the planer board has a fish on, or will it easily go over the inside line?

THX

The line will clear the dips as long they are runnig deep and your lead is far enough out to the side . The real issue I generally have is having a dip fire and come up under the lead also if you decide to use inlines boards , once they fire you will need to bring in both dips to reset .

Well i guess i will put my two cents in...I usually run 4 rods because 2 guys in boat. I run jet and dipsys....2 dipsy port side 1 on 3 setting the other on 0 setting with minimum of 20 ft of line out between them always more line out on outside 3 setting...starboard side dipsy 3setting ..then jet running out chute with min of 300 ft of line out...I use the the dipsy on starboard side to find the depths where fish are biting at than adjust other lines accordingly ...I find with this set up I can troll a zig zag pattern with with no tangles...when making a turnaround i always turn towards starboard side to keep tension on port side dipsys...with that set up ive never had any tangles ..accept one time when I had 3 lines fire same time in 3 ft rollers with a nasty chop...Also i keep a spread of min 4 feet between rod holders

well heres my 3 cents worth..lol...my 4 leadcore rods off inline boards work great for catchin Erie walleye...I don't run a full ten colours or i am into the junk...the quality walleyes are and have been in there own zone 35 to 40 feet down... 8 to 9 colours runnin SS copper spoons is my sweet spot for good numbers of quality pics...I have been usin leadcore successfully for over 10 years....now the straight mono rods off the riggers with sliders work well for early and late season rainbows...I have just the one dipsey rod with 40 lb braid that works for catchin both...But I hardly need to use it.

I think what ever method and baits you choose to use to put fish in the box is great!!!(y)

Last edited:
For years I've been told "if your getting junk fish then you're trolling too slow". Thank you Mick for giving me an AH HA moment. Always thought walleye were in the approx. same zone.

Hey Mick when you say you run 8-9 colours...are you using a 10 colour reel and only putting out 8 or 9? I've been told you have to run all the

Hey Leftys Buoy we all know about the massive numbers of junk fish out there...most of the good size walleyes I have been fishin are definatley up in that 35 to 40 feet...The junkfish are down below feeding heavily on schools of smelt...well the rainbows are down there too mixed in ...sure fishin deeper you will catch the rainbows and sure a few walleye.. but you will pay the price for hookin the junkfish...its been like that at Erieau and Wheatly this season too (35 to 40 ft walleyes)

hey Sturdy yes I use a full ten colours and use the amount of colours I need to fish with...My snaps on my offshore inline boards will not damage my leadcore line...

Earlier in the season one day I was running 3.5 colours off the boards and catchin the up high rainbows...on July 7th I hooked 11 and landed 9 trout...no damage to my leadcore(y)

At some point I defiantley want to spool up one reel with and try the micro leadcore and test sink rates getting into the strike zone...I have not heard anything bad about it.. except its a bit more expensive. I think the new features of the line will be an improvement.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks