Name this fish

fishing or farming

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hey guys I caught fish this out at Burwell on Friday. What kind of salmon is it? In 48fow long line out 285 ft with a large red orange spoon.

FBF53D63-42C1-4837-87E6-6231CCDF1265.jpeg

Its Erie - so Chinook is out. Bow or Coho-
My vote -
Oncorhynchus mykiss --or steelhead or -- bow, also frequently called a silver bullet for the way they hit a leadcore and go airborne.
gums are #1, tail is #2 when trying to determine

Attachments

• SalmonTrout-LakeOntario2012.pdf
    860.1 KB · Views: 32
It is a rainbow/steelhead. There are Chinooks in Lake E. I caught 2 a year ago. Assumed that they were rainbows because I didn't think that there were salmon in the lake, but one was full of ripe eggs. Looked closer and the mouth was fully black. Was very surprised. They were a lot smaller than mature Lake O Chinooks, about 7 lbs.

there was a couple small erie kings caught earlier this season off erieau..

Thanks for clearing it up and yes George is a good name!! I be been told that the best way to cook trout is to cover it in fresh lemons and wrap in tinfoil. Put on the bbq at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. When done throw out the trout (or compost in garden) and eat the lemons!!

LOTS of ways to cook trout. Whoever told you to cook it then throw out the trout and just eat the lemons, either doesn't know how to cook, or they just don't like trout.

Here is a simple trout recipe I do WHEN I have trout. (I don't have any this year)

What you need:

Olive oil (or olive oil spray)
1 green onion chute cut in half length wise per fish being cooked.
your trout, cleaned and butterflied (opened up with the halves still attached)
1-2 lemons, sliced
4 fresh parsley or dill sprigs (if you don't have, you can use the store bought already prepared ready to use stuff, which is what I do)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper. (I have both a salt and a pepper grinder which is what I use.)
I also use garlic spread

PREPARING THE TROUT>> take the head off, remove the innards, was thoroughly. I score the skin on each fillet. (for those who maybe don't know, that means taking a knife across the skin from back to belly, head to tail, lightly, just enough to open the skin to allow the flavors to penetrate into the flesh, 1 to 2 finger widths apart depending on how big the fish is) Season both sides, inside and out, with salt, pepper, parsley (or dill) sprigs, lightly smear some garlic spread over the top (skin) and bottom (inside the belly) place the halved green onion into the belly, (should be 1 chute per fish, 2 for bigger fish, cut in half) along with lemon slices down the middle of each fish.Then lightly oil both sides of the fish with oil.

Pre-Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil that are larger than your fish. (I also spray my tinfoil lightly with an olive oil spray to reduce and sticking to the foil by the fish.) Place trout, skin side down, on each piece of foil. (TINFOIL SHOULD BE SHINY SIDE UP WITH THE FISH LAYING ON IT SO THAT WHEN YOU CLOSE IT UP, THE DULLER SIDE OF THE TINFOIL IS TO THE OUTSIDE AS YOU PUT IT IN THE OVEN)

Fold up the foil by grabbing at the edges and crimping together to make a packet.

Place onto a baking sheet, and Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, checking one packet after 10 minutes. The flesh should pull apart (flake) easily with a fork. Place each packet on a plate. Open carefully as the escaping steam can burn you. Gently remove the fish by either using a spatula, or sliding the fish onto the plate and then pour some of the trapped juices over it. Serve with more fresh herbs and lemon slices.

Want to "fancy it up" a bit? Forget the serve with more fresh herbs and lemon slices part, and either make from scratch a hollandaise sauce, which can be problematic, so I suggest just buying a hollandaise sauce mix which can be found in most spice sections of most grocery stores and follow the directions on that packaged stuff and serve with a hollandaise sauce ladled over the middle 1/3 to 1/2 of the fish, then garnish with a lemon slice twisted (cut the lemon slice from the middle to one edge and twist) and some parsley, cilantro, or chopped green onion. I usually serve it with a side of rice. What you put in the rice, if anything, is up to you.

I've used this recipe with Lakers, Rainbows, and Arctic Char.

A coho does not have spots all over the tail only on the top potion... definitely a steelhead.
The steelhead also has spots on the head as in the photo whereas the coho does not.
Also from what I can see is the inside of the mouth is white not black or dark gray like a coho would have.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks