MY SIDE OF THE STORY "OPENING MORN"

its public hunting first come first served . Signs dont mean **** out on the bay so live with it. Just because you put up a stake it means nothing. some people out there are ignorant and think they own the spot, and they dont. Park beside the stake and hunt if your first there, and tell anyone who comes along and tries to take over to FO

rdduck....your an example of just why "new comers" to the Point are so well received. Hope you have a wonderful season Just down wind of my rig.

Hello rdduck 46,

In the event that you do not realize it ... the reason why there is waterfowling in the Long Point area is because of a long standing tradition ... a tradition that many people have worked hard to preserve.

That is precisely why I am attempting to bring back the tradition of hunting Tundra Swans in Ontario and the rest of Canada.

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinion and to voice it within this waterfowl forum it would have served your "cause" better if you had attempted to present your opinion in a more respectful manner.

That is just my opinion and you may not agree with it but Lpgar's comment "rings" with some truth to it.

I wish you all the best this hunting season as you never know when you may need some assistance from someone who believes in the "old" tradition of helping others.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

If I may qoute a wise old Professor of Duckology,fellow Long Pointer and gentleman;

For those who understand, no explanation is needed and for those who do not, none is possible"

Am I the only one that finds this whole issue ironically hipocritical? Every time hunting and trapping comes under attack, we rally with the response that hunting, trapping and fishing is part of our heritage and a long standing "tradition" in this country, yet we as a group can't seem to agree to find a way to maintain the "traditions" that are at the core of our activities. Perhaps we need to step back look at this from a viewpoint that conatins less personal bias.

Scut.

quote:
Originally posted by Old Cut LongPointer

If I may qoute a wise old Professor of Duckology,fellow Long Pointer and gentleman;

For those who understand, no explanation is needed and for those who do not, none is possible"

A lot of near relics seem to love this quote, including my father who is an old local/hunter, it's very Islamic - I also think it's a very poor attitude, especially for a scientist. Wetland and "duck" science is at a point of diminishing returns; all scientists and interested people, should reject this quote, get out of the marsh more often and try to explain why the science and the traditions are important to those who don't understand. (But of course the quote makes the relics feel like they're part of something special - lol.)

quote:
Originally posted by canvasbacksca

"Wetland and "duck" science is at a point of diminishing returns.."

And that is supposed to mean what, Gryphon Hunter?

It means I think we have most of the general concepts nailed down (I don't need to read another article that says ducks fly south or coastal wetlands provide storm protection). It's time to step out of the marsh/lab/books and talk to actual people about what's happenning and where it's actually important to focus research. You might have passed your best before date and care less, but do you think people will keep investing in the research if all you can tell them is that they'll never be able to understand? ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Gryphon Hunter

quote:

It means I think we have most of the general concepts nailed down (I don't need to read another article that says ducks fly south or coastal wetlands provide storm protection). It's time to step out of the marsh/lab/books and talk to actual people about what's happenning and where it's actually important to focus research. You might have passed your best before date and care less, but do you think people will keep investing in the research if all you can tell them is that they'll never be able to understand? ;)

LMAO! Give a kid a shiny, new Master's degree and he's now an expert on waterfowl and wetland research. As for talking to "actual people" ( as opposed to virtual ones? ), that's a great idea:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/169902856.html?page=all&prepage=2&c=y#continue

You may "think" that waterfowl / wetland research is at a dead-end, but that's just your lack of knowledge / understanding showing. So, to help you understand, have a look at this:

http://www.northamericanducksymposium.org/index.cfm?page=agenda

Well i did not plan to wiegh in on any of this until the comment from gryphon hunter . But as someone who is fortunate enough to count canvasbackca in my list of friends someone i have know since i was a young fellow . your comment is ridiculas and you are either young and imature or grown up and there might not be much hope for you .You obviously have no idea of the long list of accomplishments attached to this mans name .

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gryphon Hunter

quote:

LMAO! Give a kid a shiny, new Master's degree and he's now an expert on waterfowl and wetland research. As for talking to "actual people" ( as opposed to virtual ones? ), that's a great idea:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/169902856.html?page=all&prepage=2&c=y#continue

You may "think" that waterfowl / wetland research is at a dead-end, but that's just your lack of knowledge / understanding showing. So, to help you understand, have a look at this:

http://www.northamericanducksymposium.org/index.cfm?page=agenda

Look at you being all contrary to your legacy quote and imagining that somone has the capacity to understand, good for you! LOL

And I don't really have a preference between actual or virtual people, if what we're doing here is being virtual people...

And I never would have said "dead end"... but the really interesting stuff to the common person is done; go out and tell common people with money - not other scientists or interested hunters - why they should care and contribute and what's most important now - then, if you have time, go back and tell other scientists, hunters, and hopefully some new interested people why everyone else won't have the capacity to understand. ;)

Hanson,

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the person or the stuff he's done; I'm talking about the quote. (I do think there are major things wrong with that - despite the warm and fuzzies it gives the people who think they're part of those with understanding.) Actually, I'm very appreciative of this sort of work and anyone who has the time and energy to devote to it.

"And I never would have said "dead end"... but the really interesting stuff to the common person is done; go out and tell common people with money - not other scientists or interested hunters - why they should care and contribute and what's most important now - then, if you have time, go back and tell other scientists, hunters, and hopefully some new interested people why everyone else won't have the capacity to understand"

That's one of the most brilliant pieces of writing that I've ever read -- thanks, Gryphon!

"For those who understand, no explanation is needed and for those who do not, none is possible"
;)

Gryphon....You actually fail to understand the quote even. It has to do with the importance to some of Tradition. Not....Traditional thinking.

Tradition is what motivates many to do what they are truely passionate about. As I said many times....without tradition in our sport the rest is just killing ducks. And killing ducks is the easiest part of the sport we all enjoy. Example....I work had at the how I do things....I enjoy the sport at the outside limits of sanity at times. Cold...gail force winds....freezing spray....but that is all part of the day that the late Cans fly. Being on a very special point on a very special day keeps Me wanting to go out year after year. If I was invited on that day to the sure thing Mallard field shoot...I would decline. I want the tradition....I want the experiance...Not the Kill.

This has nothing to do with the number of benthic critters being eaten by that duck....and the Fat content pre-migration. I understand that stuff...but it is about the wings set...the white flash...the speed of that redheaded demon I am chasing that day.

Hope you can slow down some day and just enjoy the moment as well.

Gar

quote:
Originally posted by Lpgar

Gryphon....You actually fail to understand the quote even. It has to do with the importance to some of Tradition. Not....Traditional thinking.

Tradition is what motivates many to do what they are truely passionate about. As I said many times....without tradition in our sport the rest is just killing ducks. And killing ducks is the easiest part of the sport we all enjoy. Example....I work had at the how I do things....I enjoy the sport at the outside limits of sanity at times. Cold...gail force winds....freezing spray....but that is all part of the day that the late Cans fly. Being on a very special point on a very special day keeps Me wanting to go out year after year. If I was invited on that day to the sure thing Mallard field shoot...I would decline. I want the tradition....I want the experiance...Not the Kill.

This has nothing to do with the number of benthic critters being eaten by that duck....and the Fat content pre-migration. I understand that stuff...but it is about the wings set...the white flash...the speed of that redheaded demon I am chasing that day.

Hope you can slow down some day and just enjoy the moment as well.

Gar

Dude, I can guarantee that I enjoy the hunt and hunt at least as much as anyone on this board, and I understand how the quote can relate to the physical or the social science, but if everyone can simply shrug off anyone who doesn't want to conform to tradition by insisting that they simply don't have the capacity to understand, then your traditions are going to shrink and die - like they might be now.

If people want to stake spots for the opener and have that stake "honoured", then they have to explain to enough people who use that space why it is important to maintain that tradition - if you turn to them and say "no explanation is possible", then of course they're not going to conform to or adopt your tradition.

It's ignorant and arrogant to cling to a sentence that insists I'm not capable of the same experience or understanding.

So this should be "understandable" to you then:
http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/04/open-season-on-hunting

Across Canada this weekend, millions of families will sit down for a Thanksgiving feast that includes turkey and all the trimmings. Brothers will fight over who gets the turkey leg, mothers will fret about whether the turkey is done just right and fathers will take as many naps as they can after gorging on the bird.

Most of us still enjoy eating meat in this country even if we don’t think much about where it comes from.

Ask most kids and they’ll tell you meat comes from the store, but there are millions of Canadians who are still connected enough to the land that they know exactly where their meat comes from.

We call them hunters.

Right now, hunting is under attack and the animal rights extremists leading the charge have just scored a major victory: They’ve forced several hunting shows off the air.

Global Television and its parent company, Shaw Media, were the targets of an orchestrated campaign to force hunting off Canadian television airwaves.

“Global Television seems to think Canadians want to watch animals being killed for sport. Why else would it be running three different hunting shows?” the Vancouver Humane Society asked its members as part of the campaign to get the shows off the air.

Of course, put in those terms the shows do sound awful. Killing for sport is wrong, but that’s not what any real hunter does and it’s not what the shows in question were about.

Keith Beasley, one of the three brothers behind Canada in the Rough, a nine-season ratings success, said hunters do not kill animals for sport.

“Those people are criminals, not hunters,” Beasley said of anyone who would shoot an animal and watch it die, then walk away.

Like every hunter I’ve ever known, Beasley feeds his family with the animals he kills.

Of course, the campaign against his hunting show is about more than about hunting.

The people at the Vancouver Humane Society would not only prefer Beasley weren’t out there hunting, they’d prefer you weren’t eating that turkey this weekend.

The VHS has several campaigns running to get everyone to eat less meat and right now on their Facebook page, they’re pushing vegetarianism and using the current meat recall as a rallying cry.

So while the target this time was a hunting show on television, next time it could be your hamburger or turkey dinner.

Radical animal activists aren’t happy to live and let live — they want to push their view of the world on everyone else.

I don’t hunt right now, but might just take it up in protest, and Canadians from coast to coast should be bothered that a part of our heritage has been forced off the air.

“This is what this country is built on,” Beasley told me on my Sun News program, Byline.

“The fur trade, the hunting and fishing industry is what originally happened in this country.”

Of course there are plenty of people in this country who would like us to forget our history, forget our heritage and live the same downtown uber-urban latte-sipping lifestyle that they do. But that’s not for me and chances are it’s not for you.

“In a country like ours with 3.5 million miles of unspoiled wilderness, hunting is just part of our lives,” Beasley said.

Hunting is as Canadian as maple syrup. Let’s stand up for it before they take it away completely.
By Brian Lilley, Parliamentary Bureau

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:44:53 EDT AM

Landlocked, I would say that is an awesome example of what can happen if we shrug off people as being incapable of understanding! The Vancouver Humane Society isn't saying to themselves "we can't explain to people why hunting is wrong"; they got out in the world and made their case - they won a little battle - maybe because we were all saying that "we can't explain to people who don't hunt why we hunt or why hunting is important".

Gryphon -- good luck 'splaining to the wing-nuts at the humane society why you hunt and why you're such a nice guy because you're a hunter. LOL

LOL... Given enough time I can level mountains! ;)

I actually do have a friend from Hamilton that was a vegetarian and he couldn't stand to look at the ground I walked on when he found out I hunted. He still doesn't hunt himself, but talks about getting into it alot these days, has been out hunting with me, shoots guns, eats birds (chicken and turkey), and loves my deer steak in the summer on the BBQ.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks