Mute Swans at Long Point

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I have enclosed a letter that I sent by e-mail to Jack Hughes at the CWS earlier this week with copies to other individuals at the CWS, Delta Waterfowl and the MNRF as well as Toby Barrett (MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk). I understand that the OFAH now supports delisting the Mute Swan from protection.

Jerome

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

Re: Mute Swans at Long Point

Dear Mr. Jack Hughes:

I was disappointed to read in the latest newsletter of The Trumpeter Swan Society (Vol. XXX No. 1) that the 2020 range-wide Trumpeter Swan survey will not be accomplished "primarily due to lack of participation by the Canadian Wildlife Service" with funding and "other issues" being noted as other reasons to suspend the survey that had already started.

I was a participant of this survey recording and submitting my Trumpeter Swan sightings at Long Point on the appropriate date along with my observations of the increase in the number of Mute Swans ... particularly their aggressive and hostile interactions with other waterfowl species including Trumpeter Swans, Tundra Swans and Canada Geese.

I repeat my previous request for the Canadian Wildlife Service to remove the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species which will permit us to remove this invasive species or at least diminish their population within our limited wetlands thereby providing additional habtat for our native Trumpeter Swans to nest and raise their young.

I had the unfortunate opportunity two weeks ago to witness another deliberate killing of a Canada Goose gosling by an aggressive large Mute Swan cob that I was unable to prevent just off my seawall. However I was able to intervene on a secondary subsequent attack by this large Mute Swan cob on the remaining goslings further down my neighbour's seawall.

I as well as several of my neighbours have noticed an increase in the number of Mute Swans nesting at Long Point this year which has resulted in the aggressive displacement our native Trumpeter Swans by this invasive species. Consequently we have also noticed an increase in the number of deadly attacks by Mute Swans on Canada Goose goslings this summer.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

Re: Mute Swans at Long Point

Dear Mr. Jack Hughes:

I was disappointed to read in the latest newsletter of The Trumpeter Swan Society (Vol. XXX No. 1) that the 2020 range-wide Trumpeter Swan survey will not be accomplished "primarily due to lack of participation by the Canadian Wildlife Service" with funding and "other issues" being noted as other reasons to suspend the survey that had already started.

I was a participant of this survey recording and submitting my Trumpeter Swan sightings at Long Point on the appropriate date along with my observations of the increase in the number of Mute Swans ... particularly their aggressive and hostile interactions with other waterfowl species including Trumpeter Swans, Tundra Swans and Canada Geese.

I repeat my previous request for the Canadian Wildlife Service to remove the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species which will permit us to remove this invasive species or at least diminish their population within our limited wetlands thereby providing additional habtat for our native Trumpeter Swans to nest and raise their young.

I had the unfortunate opportunity two weeks ago to witness another deliberate killing of a Canada Goose gosling by an aggressive large Mute Swan cob that I was unable to prevent just off my seawall. However I was able to intervene on a secondary subsequent attack by this large Mute Swan cob on the remaining goslings further down my neighbour's seawall.

I as well as several of my neighbours have noticed an increase in the number of Mute Swans nesting at Long Point this year which has resulted in the aggressive displacement our native Trumpeter Swans by this invasive species. Consequently we have also noticed an increase in the number of deadly attacks by Mute Swans on Canada Goose goslings this summer.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.
Thank you for taking this on, it is high time for the Mutes to be removed from Long Point . They are realy increasing in numbers this year and are bad news to all our native species. Jack.

Hello Jacobus,

I will try to prepare a list of the e-mail addesses of the indivuduals at the CWS, Delta Waterfowl, MNRF as well as Toby Barrett so that you and others can so that you may submit your individual support for delisting this invasive species.

The CWS will be revising the Regulations to the Migratory Birds Act in the fall of 2021 so they should hear from as many individuals and organizations as possible. The Ontario waterfowl survey conducted by Delta Waterfowl in the fall of 2018 indicated a very strong support for delisting the Mute Swan.

Jerome

Hello Jacobus,

I will try to prepare a list of the e-mail addesses of the individuals at the CWS, Delta Waterfowl, MNRF as well as Toby Barrett so that you and others can submit your individual comments of support for delisting this invasive species.

The CWS will be revising the Regulations to the Migratory Birds Act in the fall of 2021 so they should hear from as many individuals and organizations as possible. The Ontario waterfowl survey conducted by Delta Waterfowl in the fall of 2018 indicated a very strong support for delisting the Mute Swan.

I recently received confirmation from the MNRF that they recognize the problem regarding this species so hopefully they will now support the CWS with the delisting of this species next year.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I have enclosed a letter that I sent by e-mail to Jack Hughes at the CWS earlier this week with copies to other individuals at the CWS, Delta Waterfowl and the MNRF as well as Toby Barrett (MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk). I understand that the OFAH now supports delisting the Mute Swan from protection.

Jerome
Thank you for your years of hard work and sacrifice on this

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks