Mud Motor Wanted

wetfootwilly

About ready to pull the trigger and buy a "new" mud motor from the States. Thought I would first shake the reeds and see if we could find a good used one. Looking for a longtail suitable for a 14'
in around the 12 hp range.

Thanks

wetfootwilly

Old Cut LongPointer

I purchased a 16 HP Briggs&Stratton Vangaurd Go-Devil because of the price[used] otherwise all my research pointed towards "buy" has much horsepower as you can afford. If I was buying "new" I would go 27 HP at least for a 14 footer with 2 guys and gear which by the way is about as small a boat as you want to go, 16 or 17 footer with a flat back half to the hull would be best.The boat is just as important as the motor. Longtails stress the transom differently then regular outboards and can cause cracking due to the torquing on the top section of the transom.

Just my 2 cents worth.

wetfootwilly

Thanks for your input OCLP. We only hunt the unit at this point in time. We have old 14' crestliner and have been using a small (5hp) honda outboard to navigate the marsh. It's slow but has done the job, however I'm afraid we're asking it to work too hard. We usually hunt big creek or launch from Howes. We have hunted the outside blinds 38 - 40 however find it difficult navigating through the channel weeds with our little motor. I have heard and understand the expression to go with as big a motor as possible however I have concerns the weight of a large motor may be too much for our vessel. I've talked to Mud Buddy and they has told us a 12 hp will suffice for the type of hunting we do. I hope they are right. We will keep an eye out for problems with our transom.

Thanks again OCLP - your advice is always appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks