Motor troubles

eberbob

I got a Merc 9.9 4 stroke from Port Colborne Marina used(they get all hunt camp motors back recond. from Mercury) I have had it 4 years and I use it exclusively for slow trolling for Smallies. I get it serviced every year, but after 2 or 3 sessions I can't get started all of sudden. My buddies have been with me and assited and made sure we did everything proper but NO START! Can slow trolling all the time cause a fouled plug? Proctor's have serviced and once I did have a fouled plug?? It's a pain when not working and I should be fishing. Thought boys??

I have the same motor, I broke the top timing pulley I think because I forgot to tilt up when crusing . I think it was in gear and got spinning the motor backwards. Good luck, sounds like you need a machanic

From my experience it could be one of many. things. Yes I got caught with the kill switch on. Do you have power to the coil? If you don't know how to check that take it to John at Proctors, but after changing the plug with a good quality plug not a CTC special. I change the plug on my kicker twice a season. It's cheap insurance.

ANY internal combustion engine has NEEDS, 3 simple but main requirements to run, they are Spark, Fuel and Compression. If your spark is good on all spark plugs and the fuel is good then check to see if a ground wire somewhere has corrosion under it or a fractured spark plug wire, and if not then it could even be a bad coil or power-pack. If you have no way of testing them then you may need a marine mechanic's help.

Something you can try first, providing you do have proper spark, is spraying some quick start into the carb. If it fires then stalls after it burns the quick start then more than likely you have a gummed up carb from bad gas.

Last edited:
+1 on wave runner's reply. If you can get it to fire, then its most likely the fuel or fuel delivery.
Also, I like to run my kicker at 3/4 to full throttle from time to time to help clear out the carbon. I find it just runs better at low idle when I do this periodically.
I also run ethanol free fuel only in my boat off the advise of a marine mechanic friend of mine. Prevents a lot of issues he sees in this industry.

Check the gas. I have a 9.9 yamaha and we were out on the water trolling fine the the engine died. Turned it over several times but no go. turned out that some how I got water in the separate tank. Once I drained the lines... fired up right away. As wave runner says... Spark, fuel, compression. break the triangle and engine dies.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks