Motor break in period.

DaveJ

Because of a bunch of reasons I didnt get the required 10hrs run time on my new 8hp Yamaha 4 stroke kicker in order to change oil, etc.
So..should I leave it and do the oil change next year, or before I put the boat into storage can I just run the kicker in a tank for the hrs needed?

Took me a couple of years to get the hours on my 90 Merc and Pro Kicker. Just waited it out, no problems and always serviced at Maple City, no issues at all.

If it was me I would finish the break in and change the oil. Always best to store with fresh oil and it’s one less thing to do in the spring! Make sure you stabilize your fuel as well

Don’t even worry about the oil at all. If you are gonna store it in a cold shed. Just add some stabil, run it a bit and hibernate

Check your lower unit oil no matter what you do. I had water intrusion on a brand new kicker motor due to a bad fill seal. I was really glad I had checked!

I always change the lower end each fall to ensure to water leaking in and start fresh for the spring. 30-50 dollars well spent to replace that oil over having a lower end crack to water in the casing. Thankfully with the Etec I don’t have to do an oil change. Put the motor in winter mode after the gear oil done and then see ya in the spring.

X3 change the oil for both maintainance and storage,, follow the owners manual..including your crankcase oil and lower gear oil..

I did mine a week ago and look closely what I found..

Honda outboard gear oil detected 023.jpg
ya see the tiny water droplets with gear oil..

Honda outboard gear oil detected 024.jpg
I use mercury high performance gear oil changed
and pumped in new same oil (dark green)

the fill & vent screws have fat O rings to seal..
I torque those screws tight as they go..
so whats up next season when I change it
new engine purchase 2017 Honda 15hp

hey I know a couple that took short cuts on not changing gear oil and it cost um cracks..one captain said he would never do it again..leave the oil..

ok then follow the owners manual

For the cost personally I'd do it anyway but especially the lower end oil if anything. As mentioned above you could find out there's a leak of some sort in the lower end which could cost you rather money or time in the spring when you open it up for the next season. On both my main and especially my kicker I replace the impeller every other year at a minimum for the time and cost to replace it for good measures and the main every 2 depending on how much I've fished shallow bodies of water. When I mainly fished Lake St Clair I'd do them every year for the cost, it's amazing how much wear the sand in that lake can wear an impeller in one season with regular use

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks