More "Walk Out" Blinds for 2013

Buddy Boy

Hello Guys,

I know that this suggestion may be a bit late to present to the Board of Directors but I would be interested in your comments.

As I was recovering from a bout of the flu earlier this week I spent some time reflecting on what we have and how we could improve on what we have here at the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit (LPWMU).

I thought that the addition of a few more "walk out" blinds would help those who do not have a boat and those who just want to get out for an easy quick late day hunt.

Here are my suggestions:

1) One more blind between Blind 7 and the east feeding area ... that point looks like a good spot if it is far enough away from the baited area.

2) One more blind between the boat launch and Blind 14 ... that small bay use to have Blind 9 there. Both Blind 9 and Blind 14 could be made into "walk out" blinds with the addition of a pathway from the boat launch parking lot.

3) A pathway to Blind 8 and to Blind 12 from the roadway leading to the west feeding area could convert these two blinds into two more "walk out" blinds.

4) Keep the option for Blind 40 to be a "walk out" blind.

I may have missed something that would make any of these options possible and would appreciate your comments.

Jerome

PS I think that OCLP had previously suggested making Blind 11 a "walk out" blind but I wonder how this could be done with that channel there.

With respect to BB's comments, it is not too late to suggest new "Walk Out" blinds. The LPWU administration and the LPWA board of directors realize that decent blinds, safely accessible by foot are extremely popular. Unfortunately water levels and circumstances change. BB mentioned Blind #40. Personally, I have walked to 38,39 and 40 numerous times over the 30 plus years I've hunted the Unit. They have never been an easy walk but in years with more typical water levels Fred cannot maintain the trail and walking is not a good option.

quote:
Originally posted by Duck Soup

With respect to BB's comments, it is not too late to suggest new "Walk Out" blinds.

Perhaps future marsh work could include building up berms that would form the basis of walking trails. They would only need to be raised a couple of feet high and three or four feet wide. The dredged areas for the fill would create new open water. As far as that goes, why not consider adding new inside blinds in areas that are now just cattails. Might as well put everything on the table.

Before it comes up... yes I know you have to get approvals and permits and major alterations may prove difficult.

Throw a couple sticks of dynamite in front of #43. Could use a pond there. Great blind in the right wind but doesn't hold water often or for long.

Hello Jello,

I was out at Blind 43 twice last season (2011) and it was fine as they had dug a pond there. The problem that I found was that after the teal "move out" Blind 41 and Blind 43 are not too productive.

Jerome

Sure there's a pond there? Pretty flat and sandy looking. Never shot a teal at 43. Just mallards and wigeon.

Hello Jello,

Yes I am sure.

I went out to Blind 41 and Blind 43 in 2010 to check them out and they both had a nice, flat, hard, sand bottom.

I rented Blind 43 in 2011 and when I went out to set my decoys (before sunrise) I walked right into a pit ... rather than having a few inches of water in front of the blind I was in about two feet of water with a semi hard bottom. Later when the sun came up I could see the sand berms that had been made as a result of the pond being dug.

The pond was probably about 60 feet in diameter.

Jerome

Hello Jello,

My mistake ... I got Blind 41 and Blind 43 mixed up.

I went out to Blind 41 in 2011 and walked right into a pit.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks