More Sandhill Crane Seasons

Tundra Swan

Dear Waterfowlers:

I just read in the November 2019 issue of "Wildfowl" that the State of Alabama will be conducting its first Sandhill Crane season this year with 400 permits being issued to hunters to harvest three (3) birds each this season.

The State of Kentucky and the State of Tennessee have been granted Sandhill Crane seasons in recent years due to the rapid increase in the number of birds within the Eastern Population of Sandhill Cranes. However the Province of Ontario has yet to address this issue.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Jerome, in Canada, it's the Canadian Wildlife Service that needs to address the issue, not the Province of Ontario. Unfortunately, the decision was to do a study on Manitoulin Island. Perhaps it has something to do with the Liberal government?

Hello Scribe,

If the Province of Ontario was to request a Sandhill Crane season then we would probably have such a season. The CWS told me years ago that they would not impose a new species season upon a province.

Fortunately the OFAH has identified a Sandhill Crane season as a Regional Priority as has the Quebec Federation of Anglers and Hunters (I used the English version of their name).

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks