Moose hunt Calibre

DaveJ has given you the best advise yet, don't skimp on your ammo and use a bullet that is designed to shoot a big animal. You will never go wrong with a nosler partition but the newer copper bullets will out penetrate them. Barnes x-bullets and hornady GMX are great choices in the 270. When I first started deer and moose hunting the only rifle I had was a 270 and all the experts told me it was too light and I should get a 308 or 30-06 , so I asked how their 308 shooting a 150 grain bullet at 2850fps was better than my 270 shooting 150grain bullet at 2900fps. I'm still waiting for the answer to that one, and I still haven't found an animal in Ontario that was too big for a 270 and I have a lot bigger guns now that won't kill them any better. If you shoot the 270 well don't hesitate in taking it just make sure it's full of the right ammo
I bought a box of federal premium with nosler partition bullets for each of the 3 calibers most expensive 60 bullets I have bought yet lol

Congrats on the tag! We got ours too for WMU 26
Moose aren't hard to kill, any premium bullet in any of those calibers will do the job, though I'd go heavy for the caliber. I personally shoot a .338WM with 250 grain partitions but would be comfortable using my .308 deer rifle with 150 grain, just not as much fun for me. My only caution on the 300 WM is that they can do a lot of meat damage. One of the guys in our group hit a big bull in the shoulder with one a few years ago and half the quarter was a blood shot mess. I believe he was shooting a 180 grain bullet, maybe a heavier tougher bullet wouldn't have been as bad?

Off to Quebec for our fall hunt didnt have to do the draw to get a tag lodge is getting them for us.Im using a 308 to do my damage.Im gonna throw a 178 gr Hornaday at one I hope.7 days there and the walleye fishing is great also.

Off to Quebec for our fall hunt didnt have to do the draw to get a tag lodge is getting them for us.Im using a 308 to do my damage.Im gonna throw a 178 gr Hornaday at one I hope.7 days there and the walleye fishing is great also.
Good luck! I’ve heard good things about Quebec I hope to do that one year soon.

Personally, I would take the 300

I want to drop the Moose where I shot it.....
A friend of mine shot & killre allot of moose with a 270, but they all seem to run 80 -100 yards before dropping ....so allot are recovered in lake or middle of swamp or nasty bush

So I perfer , a high shock at impact bullet / gun combination

Personally, I would take the 300

I want to drop the Moose where I shot it.....
A friend of mine shot & killre allot of moose with a 270, but they all seem to run 80 -100 yards before dropping ....so allot are recovered in lake or middle of swamp or nasty bush

So I perfer , a high shock at impact bullet / gun combination
Fair enough I’ve heard some stories about them going down in a swamp
Not ideal situation at all.

Nothing quite like someone dropping 1000lbs of meat in 4 feet of water and loon crap at dusk...with a bit of snow in the air is good....and no way to get anything but a canoe in to retrieve it. I think 90% of moose hunting is planning for just HOW THE F### you're gonna get you animal out. Like the locals say...they don't pull the trigger unless they can see chrome....chrome of their truck bumper...

Nothing quite like someone dropping 1000lbs of meat in 4 feet of water and loon crap at dusk...with a bit of snow in the air is good....and no way to get anything but a canoe in to retrieve it. I think 90% of moose hunting is planning for just HOW THE F### you're gonna get you animal out. Like the locals say...they don't pull the trigger unless they can see chrome....chrome of their truck bumper...
I hope to drop my first moose at the end of October. Will be just the experience I’m looking for.

I’d be happy if anyone in my group pulls the trigger.
was hoping for a few more people to increase the odds.
But surprisingly no one was up for joining us.

Its prime rut now or anyday depending where you go, cow call until you hear a bull grunt , then add some grunts into cow calls....if that doesn't work thrash brush and kick rocks...... once bull starts coming , stop calling unless they change course, then I would do soft bull grunt or lite thrashing

Its prime rut now or anyday depending where you go, cow call until you hear a bull grunt , then add some grunts into cow calls....if that doesn't work thrash brush and kick rocks...... once bull starts coming , stop calling unless they change course, then I would do soft bull grunt or lite thrashing
How well does the calling work post rut last week of October is when my tag is valid

How well does the calling work post rut last week of October is when my tag is valid
Keep calling. There will be secondary bulls around looking to score. The big boy is likely laying down resting and trying to put on some fat for the winter. Those smaller boys are still looking for love...

Dave J is right ..... you could also hang sent wicks....with cow in heat

Also depending on how far away and how you hunt

You could make a mineral site near where you hunt , but if xant make ahead of time ....dump some pears or apples ....something to draw them in

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks