Moose hunt Calibre

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We got lucky and drew a Bull Moose Tag
This will be our first moose hunting trip during rifle season.
wondering what everyone opinion is on these 3 calibre rifles for taking down a moose. I’ve read they are big wimps.
.270win
.300winmag
.308win.

Thanks

We got lucky and drew a Bull Moose Tag
This will be our first moose hunting trip during rifle season.
wondering what everyone opinion is on these 3 calibre rifles for taking down a moose. I’ve read they are big wimps.
.270win
.300winmag
.308win.

Thanks
All the above are very capable

All the above are very capable
Okay great! I have all three, my fiancé going to use the .308win
I just can’t decide between the .270win and the .300winmag for myself.
They’re both very accurate.

Thank you! Puts my mind at ease
I want to use my .270win Tikka t3x
But was a little worried if it has enough stopping power against a Bull Moose

30-06 Springfield, is the rifle of choice for moose in our camp. 4 out of 8 guys have one. Here is a good article with comparisons. Be sure to check out "the extreme versatility section near the bottom. https://gunandshooter.com/best-30-06-rifle/

Last edited by a moderator:
Your not stopping a tank take the proper shot and you'll not have any problems 270 won't beat you up and the 300 will let you know you pulled the trigger all in all 3 won't have an issue I know a group that use 243 and have brung plenty of meat to the table

Know any collectors? They can find them for you. Left handed is harder for sure. What exact model are looking for?

Know any collectors? They can find them for you. Left handed is harder for sure. What exact model are looking for?
Browning Bar Mark II or III semi auto in Left hand 30-06.
On the browning website as far as I can see they are no longer in production.
unfortunately I don’t know any collectors.

Thanks for the offer, but no thank you for now.
I’m going to use one of the ones I already own unless I can get my hands on a browning bar mark II or III semi auto 30-06 in left hand.

I hand load all my ammo, and IMHO the actual cartridge/bullet that you shoot is more important than the caliber. I would go with one of the following for moose sized game with a .270...
--Nosler Partition 160gr bullet (handload), or cartridges Federal Premium 270 Win Ammo, 150Gr Nosler Partition ..you can get over 2800fps with either. Partitions are the best bullets for heavy animals like moose.
--Winchester Expedition Big Game Long Range Centerfire Rifle Ammo..150 Grain AccuBond LR @ 2900fp
--Federal Premium 130gr Barnes Triple-Shock X....a bit lighter but a solid copper bullet that usually retains 100% of its weight.

I shoot/reload almost exclusively a .300 Win Mag...because of the wide range of bullets and the powder capacity of the cartridge. If I was to recommend one rifle cartridge for everything that walks in NA, that would be it (except squirrels)

Doesn't matter what caliber you use, shoot them right they die, shot them wrong you never find em.

Take which ever gun you shoot the best and don't worry about the 2nd shot it wont be required if you put the 1st one where it needs to go

Doesn't matter what caliber you use, shoot them right they die, shot them wrong you never find em.

Take which ever gun you shoot the best and don't worry about the 2nd shot it wont be required if you put the 1st one where it needs to go

I’ve heard and read that before, I believe it!

I bought my .300wm for a moose hunt
Got the Tikka in .270 later on and love the gun

DaveJ has given you the best advise yet, don't skimp on your ammo and use a bullet that is designed to shoot a big animal. You will never go wrong with a nosler partition but the newer copper bullets will out penetrate them. Barnes x-bullets and hornady GMX are great choices in the 270. When I first started deer and moose hunting the only rifle I had was a 270 and all the experts told me it was too light and I should get a 308 or 30-06 , so I asked how their 308 shooting a 150 grain bullet at 2850fps was better than my 270 shooting 150grain bullet at 2900fps. I'm still waiting for the answer to that one, and I still haven't found an animal in Ontario that was too big for a 270 and I have a lot bigger guns now that won't kill them any better. If you shoot the 270 well don't hesitate in taking it just make sure it's full of the right ammo

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks