Off Topic MIssing Fisherman

Very sad indeed, I too started wearing my jacket while alone and even when with someone when I go out deep. People need to realize that it is not just a bail bucket in your boat, there are other uses for it, most fishermen that fall out of boats are usually preoccupied with something else in their hand when this happens. Hopefully this story has a happy ending.

I wear an Onyx M16 CO2 waist life jacket. Its a bit less constricting than the Mustang suspender unit I also have. It goes around your waist like a belt pack. Only issue is its not counted as an approved vest in the boat...but its for saving my life vs any regulation. I wear an engine kill switch cord when Im by myself, and if Im netting a fish, I put the boat in neutral...thats when most people go over the side. Ive gone as far as to wear a sailboat harness strap when its rough..but usually if it gets that bouncy I come in.

A friend told me this story from a few years back.
His bud from work was solo out of Stanley...6-7 miles out in a 16'. Fighting a fish, he went off the back with the boat in gear. By the time he got surfaced and turned around, the boat was gone. He still had his rod in hand and his ball cap--no life jacket. It was late in the day, and he was realizing he might be spending the night swimming....or sinking. Shortly after, he heard the sound of a boat, and put his ballcap on the fishing rod--got it up high and waved it around. The boat who was heading in saw it, and picked him up. The Gods were with him that night.

..and no, he didnt get the fish...

Reminder to all of us to be safe. I fish alone, not very frequently, but occasionally and never wear pfd. It’s called an accident because we never plan for it and can happen in a blink of the eye to the best most safety conscience angler. Going out this afternoon but stopping to pick up an inflatable. We spend $200 bucks on a rod reel combo without thinking about it, the same money can save your life, I’m in.

Rick

I got a mustang inflatable a few years back especially for when fishing alone. I tried to wear it all the time even with others in the boat but like regular PDFs found it even too hot to wear on hot days so hang it on my seat. I still have to carry a regular PDF in the boat for myself as the inflatable is not considered legal unless your wearing it. o_O That makes absolutely no sense to me because I don't need to wear the regular PDF for it to be legal so how is either one any good if your not wearing it when you end up in the water? Why is one considered legal if your not wearing it but the other isn't? :rolleyes:

It is now legal to have inflatable PFDs on board. In order for them to meet the lifejacket requirement, they must be worn if you are in an open boat. ... Inflatable PFDs are not approved for use by people less than 16 years of age or people weighing less than 36.3 kg.

I learned my lesson a few years ago in Lake tamagami. Life jackets make a great cushion, hard to put on when the boat's upside down and you're going down! Mustang inflatable now all the time, a little warm on the back of your neck on the hottest days , we'll worth it though.
I did say IN not on Lake Tamagami.

Reminder to all of us to be safe. I fish alone, not very frequently, but occasionally and never wear pfd. It’s called an accident because we never plan for it and can happen in a blink of the eye to the best most safety conscience angler. Going out this afternoon but stopping to pick up an inflatable. We spend $200 bucks on a rod reel combo without thinking about it, the same money can save your life, I’m in.

Rick
I picked up a Mustang inflatable pfd at Bridge yachts in Dover for my solo fish last nite. Shake my head, what have I been thinking all these years. Put it on and two minutes later didn’t even know it was there. Good evening fish at the elbow. Was dipsies for 5 outa six the other one was on lead as I was slow letting out, that was new. Spoon bite didn’t matter what colour on dipsies 1 3 setting 80-95 feet back. I’ve fished Burwell, Maitland, Nanticoke, and now Elbow over the last month. Fish everywhere and lots of them.

Rick

We bought two XPS A/M 24 life vest years ago. We wear them when it's rough in case you go overboard. They are designed to self inflate and are comfortable to wear. Also have manual pull cord to activate CO cartridge and if that fails a filler tube. Had a minor problem when left in the boat and the heat buildup caused one to activate. We bring them into the house now. Cartridge/ thimble need to be replaced every so often.

Be sure to use your kill switch as well. If you fall out you have a chance now at getting back to your boat.
@Bandwagon thanks for the reminder,because a kill switch is something I don’t use,but I should start using,especially fishing solo that I occasionally do,especially when lake erie that I have been fishing on almost a dozen times now this year,is a little rougher lately than normal.

I also have a full mustang floatation suit in the boat. Some may say that's overkill but here's the truth on Erie..I've donned it twice once out of Glasgow once out of Erieau when the lake went from good to scary in less time than it took to pack up and head for home
I was glad I had it

I still cannot find any update news on this missing boater or if he even had a life jacket on. It's been 4 days now since he disappeared so sadly it appears Erie has claimed another. :(

@Bandwagon thanks for the reminder,because a kill switch is something I don’t use,but I should start using,especially fishing solo that I occasionally do,especially when lake erie that I have been fishing on almost a dozen times now this year,is a little rougher lately than normal.
Good idea to hook up the lanyard with an extension so you can move around in the boat better. I don't fish alone anymore but when I did I hooked it up because you never know just losing your balance can put you overboard especially when it's choppy. If you do go over with the motor running even at a 2.5 mph troll unless your Michael Phelps you're never going to swim fast enough to catch up to the boat to get back in. At high speed this can happen without the kill switch hooked up. :eek: :jawdrop: ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks