Misner Dam

quote:
Originally posted by quinner01

Dont give in Dropshot. You are backed by the regs, and quite clearly.

Hey quinner I wouldn't even consider giving in. Thanks for the support.
I caught my first steelhead on the Saugeen in 1969. Been chasing them ever since. Love the sport. Nothing but respect for the fish. For the most part I practice catch and release. I'll keep the odd male for a buddy of mine or if it's bleeding and looks like it won't make it.
I make a point of checking each new edition of the regs for any changes. They need to be condensed. In New York State the same rules apply state wide. No Zones. No "you can do this here but don't do it over there". Two here. One there. Five out there. It's ridiculous. No wonder there is so much confusion.
Bottom line is if you want to play the game, learn the rules.

dropshot, the reason for my post was in response to the email ladyinred posted on another forum. the CO stated its ok to fish close to a dam if its impassable by fish, and i thought it was confirmed by the fisheries act talking specifically about a lower entrance. you'd think the act would be up to date and crystal clear.

either way, i was taught about the 75' thing when i was a kid. like i said in my previous post, avoiding dams all together has been the easiest solution for this guy and will gladly continue that way. unlike most people concerned about this regulation, id be more interested in catching catfish than steelies at dams seeing as i just started fishing for steel this fall and cant catch one anyways...lol.:D

psssst...thumper. i thought you said this thread was done? :D

quote:
Originally posted by ch312
ijust started fishing for steel this fall and cant catch one anyways...

Don't give up 312. Once you do you'll be hooked just like the rest of us. Standing in waist deep freezing cold water, snow blowin' up your nose. You'll love it.

quinner01 hit the nail on the head.

quote:

Problem with asking a CO is that, if you asked 6 different CO's, youd get 6 different answers...

Many changes in the regulations have occurred over the past two decades. Most in an attempt to plug loopholes. For example: Salmon was open all year. Guys would deliberately fish for steelhead outside the season and claim they were fishing for salmon. As the popularity grew so did the excuses.
The biggest problem today is guys saying that float rods can be used for other species. Coarse fish like carp, crappie and catfish. This so they can be there year round. Not sure how they'll plug that loophole but its pretty obvious that they're not fishing for anything other than steelhead. Same bait. Same runs. But "really officer I'm fishing for carp". I confronted a couple of guys at the Caledonia Dam one February a few years back (season closed Dec. 31 til last Saturday in April) Fifteen foot float rods. Roe bags still on their hooks attached to their hook keepers. Asked them what they were fishing for. "Crappie". License number, date, time and description were passed on to the MNR. Not sure of the outcome.

I remember when the "Summary" did not include the word obstacle. Instead it quoted the Fisheries Act. Three years were spent updating the Summary. 2005 to 2008 I believe. Perhaps it's time the Fisheries Act was reviewed and corrected to correspond with the Summary. The Summary is what's readily available. Thank goodness too because if I had to rely on my comprehension of the Fisheries Act I'd be in trouble. For the most part you have to be a Philadelphia Lawyer to understand it. Secondly, it doesn't take me very long to become frustrated with the legal terminology. I'd simply give up trying to comprehend it.
Not sure why anyone thought I was on the attack. The only reason I became involved was to try and sort out the confusion.

Merry Christmas and good fishin'.
Rick aka dropshot.

Yeah the whole "Im fishing for suckers" excuse while using a float reel and a 13 ft rod is a joke. One way around it is to have sanctuaries in place ie. Big Creek from the dam down to Lyndoch ( a sanctuary from January 1 to the 4th Saturday in April)

Anyone caught fishing for any species during that time would be fined as its a sanctuary and no species can be targeted. Working on that for the Otter, as it gets beaten to death in the spring.

As for New Yorks regulations, I think its only possible that way due to the heavy stocking of hundreds of thousands of steelhead every year. Id sooner have a wild natural fishery any day though.

005.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by dropshot

Don't give up 312. Once you do you'll be hooked just like the rest of us. Standing in waist deep freezing cold water, snow blowin' up your nose. You'll love it.

i've hooked a few over the years while fishing the notty for salmon, but not i can't seem to connect at all. at this rate, i'll be in a wheelchair or scooter before i finally get one.

4 outings and not a single hit to show for it. sad...[V]

quote:

Yeah the whole "Im fishing for suckers" excuse while using a float reel and a 13 ft rod is a joke. One way around it is to have sanctuaries in place ie. Big Creek from the dam down to Lyndoch ( a sanctuary from January 1 to the 4th Saturday in April)

Anyone caught fishing for any species during that time would be fined as its a sanctuary and no species can be targeted. Working on that for the Otter, as it gets beaten to death in the spring.

As for New Yorks regulations, I think its only possible that way due to the heavy stocking of hundreds of thousands of steelhead every year. Id sooner have a wild natural fishery any day though.

Suckers! Gotta love it! They must think that all CO's are suckers too! Would love to see a sanctuary on the Grand. Paris to the mouth. Dec. 31 to the last Sat. in April. Soon put those clowns outa business.
I agree with you on the wild fish but frankly, until they implement barbless, strictly catch and release south of Parry Sound, the wild fish will not survive all the pressure anyway. More and more fishermen and fewer fish. Stocked, wild or otherwise. A couple of decades ago if one were to hit it right, 50 fish days were common. Now you're lucky to find an undisturbed fish in any system. Sadly too is the fact that there are so many that don't know a male from a female much less a stocked from a wild.
Then there's the members of the KKK. The Katch, Keep and Kill society. They have to kill everything that swims anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by ch312

i've hooked a few over the years while fishing the notty for salmon, but not i can't seem to connect at all. at this rate, i'll be in a wheelchair or scooter before i finally get one.

4 outings and not a single hit to show for it. sad...[V]

Best bet is to hook with someone here willing to show you a few tricks of the trade. Don't know where you're from but I'm from the Hamilton area. I like to fish big rivers like the Grand and Saugeen. The Sauble near the bottom end and the Big head when I'm waiting for the others settle.
I hear ya about the wheelchair or scooter. I'll soon be 62 and it get's harder and harder each year.

Haven't been to Vittoria in over 10 years, but going back 30 years there used to be a wire marking the out of bounds water there 75 feet down from the dam in the vicinity of the spring fountain if it is even still there.[?]

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

quote:

quote:

Suckers! Gotta love it! They must think that all CO's are suckers too! Would love to see a sanctuary on the Grand. Paris to the mouth. Dec. 31 to the last Sat. in April. Soon put those clowns outa business.
I agree with you on the wild fish but frankly, until they implement barbless, strictly catch and release south of Parry Sound, the wild fish will not survive all the pressure anyway. More and more fishermen and fewer fish. Stocked, wild or otherwise. A couple of decades ago if one were to hit it right, 50 fish days were common. Now you're lucky to find an undisturbed fish in any system. Sadly too is the fact that there are so many that don't know a male from a female much less a stocked from a wild.
Then there's the members of the KKK. The Katch, Keep and Kill society. They have to kill everything that swims anyway.

Very creative LOL!!!

005.jpg

quote:

Very creative LOL!!!

Thanks. Something I dreamed up a long time ago. Creative maybe. Fitting for sure! Gotta love the white pails filled to overflowing with virtually everything that swims. Regardless of species or season.
Gotta love this too: "Meester you no keep fish you give me. Ok?"

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks