Misner Dam

Honey Bea

The caption below the picture in the Pt. Dover Maple Leaf of two men fishing at the base Misner Dam says that fishermen are there almost every day. There are fishermen there because there are fish there and there are fish there because they are trying to get up the Lynn River so they can spawn.However,the dam blocks their migration .If they can't find cool oxygenated water their eggs will be resorbed back into the protein pool of their body. Support the decommissioning of Misner Dam.

goose: how do you think that they are fishing illegally is it trespassing? you can legally fish tho the dam of misners all year unless the regs have changed. and as for trespassing I do belive the county ownes 66' of road allowence and I do not see the bylaw enforcment there any time I drive by. Only wondering how it is illegal.

keepen'er afloat is always better than sinkin.

In the images/clips that I've seen, the people always seem to be pretty close to the dam...From the Fisheries Act:
27. No one shall
(a) damage or obstruct any fish-way or canal built, constructed or used to enable fish to pass over or around any obstruction;
(b) do anything to stop, impede or hinder fish from entering or passing the fish-way or canal or to stop, impede or hinder fish from surmounting any obstacle or leap; or
(c) fish in any manner within twenty-five yards downstream from the lower entrance to any fish-way, canal, obstacle or leap.

well it depends where you fish there most of the people that I see fish there are indeed fiahing 25+ yards from the aactual bottom of the flow way becouse they are out in front of the boat housed or the piece of cement in the middle. I was just askin not trying to cause trouble. I havn't fished there for a number of years. but the regs used to state that from the mouth of lake erie to the dam at misners via the black creek the season for trout was open all year, thas all.
I am asuming that trout is what you are talking about isn't it?

Just going by the clips that I've seen in recent months. The people (pictured) seemed to be casting right at the mouth of the dam (which is obviously too close according to the regs).

like I said I havn't fished there in recent years but when the wife and I go for coffee we generally see people fishing there and they are either floating down stream or bottom bouncing around the boat houses. by the time the ice is out for the boat to go in there the only thing I have ever seemed to cstch were rock bass and the odd crappie.

Its not illegal to fish Misners dam since the dam is not intended to assist fish around the obstruction...ie a fish ladder. I am new to steelheading and have been fishing the dam a few times a week. I haven't caught anything yet, but have seen other people hook into beautiful fish there. I just need to keep trying and learning :D

quote:
Originally posted by LadyInRed

Its not illegal to fish Misners dam since the dam is not intended to assist fish around the obstruction...ie a fish ladder. I am new to steelheading and have been fishing the dam a few times a week. I haven't caught anything yet, but have seen other people hook into beautiful fish there. I just need to keep trying and learning :D

Sorry to say it Lady In Red but you are wrong.
This is scanned from the 2011 Fishing Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary. You're right Misner dam does not assist fish but it is in fact, an obstruction. Check the punctuation.
Page 8 General Fishing Regulations.
scan0001-1.jpg

This means your bait or lure must not be within 22.9 meters (75ft) of the base of the dam (obstruction). Anytime I've passed by, fishermen are standing within the 75' restriction and then casting to the dam.

I AGREE WITH duckduckgoose
COMPLETELY. CALADONIA TOO! MINISTRY HAS BEEN CALLED ABOUT BOTH.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!

Maybe some of the Anglers at the Caledonia Dam should read up also...They all fish within the 75ft and certainly with th fish ladder area as well. Dunville is the same...

Dropshot says it best...

Although when I asked a CO about this issue, they said they only will enforce it, if its posted with signs.

005.jpg

8D8D`thats a good answer ty [}:)] peeps have fished there for years nice to leave em alone as they r older and cant tromp the streams also the bows only come to the dam thjen they run black creek and they spawn in the SPRING[?][?][?][:(!]8[:X]

quote:
Originally posted by JustForUs

Maybe some of the Anglers at the Caledonia Dam should read up also...They all fish within the 75ft and certainly with th fish ladder area as well. Dunville is the same...

I've seen people ticketed at both the Caledonia and Dunnville dams.
A double standard though. If you treat them with respect you simply get a warning. If you make a fuss you get a ticket and an invite to "tell it to the judge"!
I believe everyone should have to pass a test before being granted a fishing license. At least then they would be forced to read and understand the fishing regulations. Sadly it would probably just turn into another cash grab like the Pleasure Craft Operators Card.

quote:
Originally posted by fisherman

8D8D`thats a good answer ty [}:)] peeps have fished there for years nice to leave em alone as they r older and cant tromp the streams also the bows only come to the dam thjen they run black creek and they spawn in the SPRING[?][?][?][:(!]8[:X]

They could more easily fish the Port Dover pier. Legally! Everything that ends up at the dam has to swim through there. They'd even have a shot at the ones that don't make the wrong turn and head straight up Black Creek.
The fish at the dam are there waiting for conditions to change in the hope that they can continue their upstream migration. In the meantime they have to eat. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Fishermen are there because it's easy pickens. Just like Dunnville and Caledonia.
The Ministry knows fish stackup at these locations. They know too that it makes for an unfair advantage. That's why it's regulated.

quote:
Originally posted by TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

I AGREE WITH duckduckgoose
COMPLETELY. CALADONIA TOO! MINISTRY HAS BEEN CALLED ABOUT BOTH.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!

totally agreed!! and as for the misners dam,fish ladder or not.its classified under the same law,its a man made structure/obstacle or corralling area and has been under the same law since that law was passed (as drop shot scanned and pointed out).i catfish in the area every spring and personally watched a c.o. 2 years ago fine 2 guys for just that at miseners..same thing happens at wilkes in branford,year after year..it doesnt have a fish ladder either but is a man made obstacle and is subject to the same law...the only grey area with that dam,is its horse shoe shape but again,growing up in the area have watched countless fines handed out at wilkes over the years...as someone else said,there should be some kind of online or written test for your fishing licence and maybe even require a passport photo to be sent in as well,seeing that its not hard for someone to use someone elses card or file under a fake name if they are suspended..

I called the MNR office in Aylmer and spoke to a CO there and he informed that because Misner's is impassable to fish, it is perfectly legal to fish there. The rule only applies to structures with fish ladders or dams that fish are able to pass through.

The phone number for this CO is 519-773-4711 if anyone wants clarification.

Girl Gone Wild

quote:
Originally posted by LadyInRed

I called the MNR office in Aylmer and spoke to a CO there and he informed that because Misner's is impassable to fish, it is perfectly legal to fish there. The rule only applies to structures with fish ladders or dams that fish are able to pass through.

The phone number for this CO is 519-773-4711 if anyone wants clarification.

Girl Gone Wild

They are all legal to fish! As long as your bait is 25 meters downstream of the base of the dam, fishway, obstruction, leap, etc.
Sauble Falls isn't even a man made structure and it's posted with a wire.
Not far from Port Dover, culverts on a small tributary are posted. Some even have a cable accross marking the restricted area.

That is not what the CO said. He said that the rule is in place to protect spawning fish that are trying to go upriver. Since the dam is impassable to fish, the rule doesn't apply. He *explicitly* stated that the rule is effective only on dams that have fish ladders. He also stated that Black Creek starts at the dam and empties in the lake and that the entire stretch is open all year for trout. No mention was made about the bait having to be 25 yards downstream.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks