Maitland Report July 30

Fish Farmer

I got 1 Walleye 2 Smallies and 1 Sheephead yesterday, all on gold Rippling Red Fin

Trolled from Grants Pt. 30 to 40 FOW to Tecumseh with snap weights then out to the bell then out to 85 FOW, trolled back to Fingers using riggers.

Watch for the nets, went across 2 sets trolling back to fingers, they had set another set at the fingers also.

Fished solo from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm. .

So the walleye haven't showed up in numbers down your way yet @Fish Farmer? I ask because after 9 1/2 hours it sure wasn't the lack of trying on your part that's for sure. Thanks for the report and I'm sure things will pick up down in the Maitland area soon. Good luck fishing the rest of the season retired guy. 🐟🎣 😁

So the walleye haven't showed up in numbers down your way yet @Fish Farmer? I ask because after 9 1/2 hours it sure wasn't the lack of trying on your part that's for sure. Thanks for the report and I'm sure things will pick up down in the Maitland area soon. Good luck fishing the rest of the season retired guy. 🐟🎣 😁
Ya I was all over yesterday looking for a school, no big numbers yet unless I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 😀 Lots of weed and crap in the water yesterday.:banghead: Buddy called me last night, a couple guys got their limit at Nanticoke, go figure, maybe I should have kept trolling that way but I was a long way from port as it was. I take to many chances with a 16 footer.:unsure:
Better luck next time(y)(y)

They did better than i did f.f got out yesterday aft for 3 hours got 1 sheephed talked to 2 other boats 1 group of 3 got nadda and the other 4 guys got 5 said they wete out all day i marked lots of bait fish and some fish but not a lot

I've been seeing in reports people warning about big fishing nets 30' to 40' down. Are those commercial fishing nets?

They have been marking the nets, stick with black flag, plus floating jugs every 2 to 3 hundred feet floating in between the flags.
The nets very About half a Kilometer Long and sometimes they put them end to end with a space of 200'
Walleye nets run North and South and are suspended in the water column

I'm heading out tmor..I will post how we do..I gotta a couple spots that I have done well at this time of year 😃...jeez dave that's a long day... did you drop a couple of them big pinks balls down 🤣🤣

They have been marking the nets, stick with black flag, plus floating jugs every 2 to 3 hundred feet floating in between the flags.
The nets very About half a Kilometer Long and sometimes they put them end to end with a space of 200'
Walleye nets run North and South and are suspended in the water column
Wow who has the right to net fish like that?

Everyone has to make a living, the commercial fishing has been legal since before I was born.
I've talked to a few of them over the years, some think their your enemy, not really. Those people are human like the rest of us. I've got a lot of info from them and they are quite friendly. If you talk to them they'll tell you where there fishing and what for. They don't want you to run into their nets, cost you and costs them and can be dangerous to life.
You have to types of commercial fisherman on Erie, Neters and Trollers both different operations. Neters target Walleye, Perch, and Whitefish, Trollers, Smelt.
Smelt are flash frozen and exported to China and some are sent back here.
There is incidental catches that they have to record.
Most Commercial fisherman are on the Canadian side, there still is a few on the US side.
Believe it or not, both them and us, it's a cat and mouse game, we watch them where their fishing and they watch us. (y) 😀

Last edited:
I see more nets showing up in the areas of good reports than I see smaller boats rushing to fish around set nets. LOL

A couple of really good reports and BANG, nets. Probably has happened for years, but it just seems really obvious to me this year. :p

So I guess there's 2 reasons why some are so protective of their catches and way-points. Both small and large boats. LOL :LOL:

I see more nets showing up in the areas of good reports than I see smaller boats rushing to fish around set nets. LOL

A couple of really good reports and BANG, nets. Probably has happened for years, but it just seems really obvious to me this year. :p

So I guess there's 2 reasons why some are so protective of their catches and way-points. Both small and large boats. LOL :LOL:

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in correlating that our reports significantly influence the commercial guys... They are out on the water every day and have all the advanced electronics and temp probes and are probably much more savvy about where the fish are, where they are going than we are.

It's a truism though that if there are fish in an area, that people will find them and fish that area.

Everyone has to make a living, the commercial fishing has been legal since before I was born.
I've talked to a few of them over the years, some think their your enemy, not really. Those people are human like the rest of us. I've got a lot of info from them and they are quite friendly. If you talk to them they'll tell you where there fishing and what for. They don't want you to run into their nets, cost you and costs them and can be dangerous to life.
You have to types of commercial fisherman on Erie, Neters and Trollers both different operations. Neters target Walleye, Perch, and Whitefish, Trollers, Smelt.
Smelt are flash frozen and exported to China and some are sent back here.
There is incidental catches that they have to record.
Most Commercial fisherman are on the Canadian side, there still is a few on the US side.
Believe it or not, both them and us, it's a cat and mouse game, we watch them where their fishing and they watch us. (y) 😀
I agree 100% everyone has to make a living. Thanks for the info, very interesting.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks