Off Topic Lund boats are they worth the extra

Quacker_Smacker

I’m just browsing the markets to see what’s out there and what to expect to pay for a new to me boat in the future. Looking for 18-20’ full windshield all around fishing boat.
Are Lund boats still worth the extra $$.
I grew up fishing out of a 16’ legend and now own a 16’ sylvan I believe both hulls are built by smoker craft and bother have been and we’re good boats. I fish enough to justify having a boat but by no means am a tournament fisherman. Probably more of a weekend warrior but really enjoy the water.

I will make it quick, NO!!! They are still made of tin & will never beat the ride of a fibreglass boat.

My buddy has a 2012 Pro V. It’s a great boat and it has taken some beatings on big water without complaint but he bought it slightly used just before the insanity of boat pricing began. I run an 09 Starcraft which I believe is every bit the boat as a Lund, but again the new prices on them are insane, I’d have to spend 60k plus just to get what I’ve got at today’s prices. I don’t know if any of the boats out there are truly worth what they are asking now. That said, the names I’d look at in a tin boat are Lund, Starcraft, alumacraft and possibly Lowe. I’ve know a couple guys that have been pretty happy with their Lowe riveted boats and they’ve both been on the water since early 2000’s, although you won’t get all the fancy features of some of the others.

I would get a starcraft or aluma over the lund. I have the starcraft stealth. Solid boat!

I asked the exact same question to a well known pro fisherman who had just finished a seminar at the sportsman show in Hamilton, and he urged me to throw the quote I had for an Alumicraft in the garbage, and spend the extra for a Lund.
I bit the bullet and am now on my 3rd year with no issues what so ever.

Do you like your tin riveted or welded?
I have herd mixed reviews either way. Care to share any opinions either way.
I will make it quick, NO!!! They are still made of tin & will never beat the ride of a fibreglass boat.
I agree about the glass but I still like the versatility of the aluminum with the fishing decks in the front and drafting a little less water generally because their lighter.

I have owned Lund (rivet), Crestliner (welded), and currently Harborcraft (welded). Never had any issues. However I have fished in others riveted tin boats that had leaks.

Eastly answer is Yes they were at one time... they have cheapened out in the last 10 years or so and now on par... I have had great luck with my princecraft and it's made in Canada

I have owned Lund (rivet), Crestliner (welded), and currently Harborcraft (welded). Never had any issues. However I have fished in others riveted tin boats that had leaks.
Yes I have herd guys have had leaks but I have also herd of broken welds. That being said some of that may have been abuse you never get the true story.

Eastly answer is Yes they were at one time... they have cheapened out in the last 10 years or so and now on par... I have had great luck with my princecraft and it's made in Canada
Funny you mention that their made in Canada I just watched a interesting video about them not long ago.

Thanks for the info this far guys.

I run a 2006 Lund 1600 Alaskan with 60hp Yamaha tiller and love it. Might not be the best boat for big, wide open water, but I enjoy eastern and northern Georgian Bay in the islands, and places like Temagami. Hard to beat the Lund in that kind of water. Light enough to pull up on the rock shores, strong as can be when the winds pick up and waves rise.

I had a 2005 1800 Alaskan SS side console, 90hp Yamaha, all the stuff. I had to replace 2 floor panels and the transom due to wood rot...and it was crap wood to start. Didnt seem to be sealed, rivet holes not sealed, etc. However, the boat was otherwise well made and solid. I came back last summer into Pt.Bruce from 8 miles out in a north wind and 4' whitecaps that while uncomfortable was not worrisome..the boat handled it fine. The hull itself was not a great lakes design..not quite deep V enough like a couple of Starcrafts Ive owned..an SS18 and an 18 Superfisherman, but a great all around boat. I think the newer Lunds have resolved the bad wood issues from the past years...but they are pricey!!

Travel on big water go welded. Best point brought up in my opinion. Glass is the best for comfort and braking waves but $$$.
I went crestliner and love it. Just do your research. I can tell you I beat my boat and I have the confidence to go a long way out and safely come home. ( with obvious safety gear and precautions).

I’m just browsing the markets to see what’s out there and what to expect to pay for a new to me boat in the future. Looking for 18-20’ full windshield all around fishing boat.
Are Lund boats still worth the extra $$.
I grew up fishing out of a 16’ legend and now own a 16’ sylvan I believe both hulls are built by smoker craft and bother have been and we’re good boats. I fish enough to justify having a boat but by no means am a tournament fisherman. Probably more of a weekend warrior but really enjoy the water.
They are definitely worth the money I have a 20' for the last 17 years and handle well in rougher water.

Just my 2 cents
Paying for the name
Guy at the seminar is likely sponsored or pro staffed
You ask 100 fisherman you’ll get 99 different responses
everybody has different styles and wants and budgets
I’m a glass guy now never go back
If I did I’d have a welded Hull ( 1 boat leaked rivets and 1 didn’t )

It’s your own preference and budget. I have a 2003 Lund pro fisherman 18 foot and I love it. No leaks, solid boat , I bought it off of walleye classified. Went to Chicago to buy it , good deal even with the exchange 8 years ago, no problem getting it across, I would do it again. Cheers

When I bought my 2015-162 Smoker craft XL in spring of 2018, I noticed Lund boats were so overpriced. People were posting 2003-2006 Lunds for the same price as what I paid for my 2015. Buyers are so concern about the type of boat brand that they forget that the motor is just as important in the overall package.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks