LPWMU Self Serve Dec 21/12 - Jan 5/13

quote:
Originally posted by kicks

NO The gate will be locked you will have to park outside of the park and walk from there !!!! The park will be closed !!!!!!!!!!!

So what you're saying is, pack light? Lol

Im part of the problem eh?
Who are you? Use your real name dont hide behind a computer
Look at the unit like a business because thats what it is. Why would you change something thats worked for so long. And it was just voted on 3 years ago and it wasnt even close, and we have resevation,
I could careless which way it's ran cause I know how to hunt, maybe just cause you cant kill your limit dont be saying theres a problem.
They dont even bait down there, so if you wanna run it like that we can then you will wonder why theres not ducks in the marsh and only in big creek.
You didnt really hit a nerve, just dont like pansies that hide behind a computer when they never go to any meetings and speak up, or come help in the spring or fall setting up blinds.

Kicks,

I meant no disrespect to you or anyone who got this set-up. I think its great with the mild tempretures for the rest of the season.

Rest assured I won't be "bitching" to anybody or anyone. I'll do what I always do, smash some bills, get my dog some work, have a beer and head home. I'd love to be more involved with the LPWA but I just don't have the time unfortunately. I think you guys are doing a fine job with the unit's management.

Can't wait to kill'em late December early January. See you out there.

Pintail
Andrew Radcliffe

Sure sounds like I hit a nerve my name is Chris Bayles I used to hunt the unit 20 plus times a year got tired of guys like you. hitting limits is not a problem I do quite well probably better than you have made out this year. ask the duck man who I am he was out with us on sat we got birds did you?

If they ran the unit as a buisness you would think you would want to draw more hunters to support your buisness not drive them away by attacking when someone voices an opinion. if you represent the unit they sould rethink thier stradigy. What they are doing here is a great Idea I hope it caries on and nobody abuses this and we get the opportunity to enjoy the season for a few extra days. I may only make it down for one or two days but appreiceate the opportunity.

Donald way to embrace the chance to recruite new workers I am sure others that are reading this and thinking of getting involved may have a second thought.

Chris Bayles
Yes that is my real name not hiding.

quote:
Originally posted by Donald

Im part of the problem eh?
Who are you? Use your real name dont hide behind a computer
Look at the unit like a business because thats what it is. Why would you change something thats worked for so long. And it was just voted on 3 years ago and it wasnt even close, and we have resevation,
I could careless which way it's ran cause I know how to hunt, maybe just cause you cant kill your limit dont be saying theres a problem.
They dont even bait down there, so if you wanna run it like that we can then you will wonder why theres not ducks in the marsh and only in big creek.
You didnt really hit a nerve, just dont like pansies that hide behind a computer when they never go to any meetings and speak up, or come help in the spring or fall setting up blinds.

Nicely put Chris.

I live there and almost never hunt or support the unit for the very same reasons. Donald needs to find a better drum to beat

Gar Clark

you did better then me this year,
I shot 3 toms, 2 bears, 2 Bucks. had mutiply incounters with 150 class deer this year with my bow only didnt limit out twice on ducks, ate perch or walleye every weekend in the summer,
Maybe you can teach me something I dont know if your so great always willing to learn.
Its just this has been dicused and didnt get passed, move on.

Pintail
I took no disrespect at all from what you said and i didnt mean to suggest that you would bitch . I just want it to go smooth . And thanks for the support Andrew and i will join you for a beer ! as for the bills fill your boots i just shoot Mallards LOL
Glenn

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

OK Mike LOL
But the redhead was Larry's fault and as for the spoonbill " the sun was in my eyes "

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

Glenn,

I hope this goes well like you, it only opens doors for other ideas. I find the last 3 weeks of the season to be the best anyways.

Dont worry, if the weatherman is right this week u won't have to worry about the sun in your eyes haha!

Cheers

Pintail

The New Super ran Rondeau? Interesting, she knows first hand how well a waterfowl unit can work with a lottery.

Dont bring up change or Old Boys Club. It gets a person in trouble around here:D

PS Did you guys figure out who the guys were that shot 2 days before the early goose season?:)
BD

Check me out on Face Book
Big Daves Fishing Charters
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/BigDavesFishingCharter

Hello Guys,

I posted under "Still No Birds" that I am pleased that the LPWMU finally considered my suggestion to implement a "Self Serve" option (at least towards the end of the season) as it has worked at the Presqu'ile Waterfowl Management Unit for a few decades now.

I previously wrote to Mr. J. Malcolm (President, LPWA) several years ago regarding the possibility of implementing a "Self Serve" system at Long Point similar to the one that has been in place at Presqu'ile since the 1980s.

My suggestion was not accepted at that time considering the larger numbers of waterfowlers using Long Point vs Presqu'ile.

However with the milder weather and the extended waterfowl season options to keep the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit (LPWMU) open longer were requested at the LPWA AGM last spring and I "floated" my suggestion of a "Self Serve" system again. Mr. J. Malcolm requested at the AGM that I provide the new Park Superintendent with my "Self Serve" proposal for consideration. I complied with his request by providing the new Park Superintendent with a copy of my original letter to Mr. J. Malcolm regarding this issue.

I will attempt to retrieve the electronic version of my original letter and post it within this thread.

Unfortunately there will be a few "bugs" to work out as Long Point is different from Presqu'ile in that Presqu'ile is opened year round so the gate is never closed and locked. This will be a problem for anyone wanting to use the "walk out" blinds in the eastern portion of the unit. Perhaps we will be able to address this issue next year.

For now ... please consider this as an added bonus to hunt the LPWMU for an extra two weeks. We can discuss modifications to the new system at our next LPWA AGM in the spring.

I would like to thank the LPWA Board of Directors and the LPWMU staff for taking this initial step.

The "Self Serve" system worked at Presqu'ile and it will work at Long Point unless you want it to fail.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

will the howey ave launch still be open or is the unit claosing it down the same time ?? if it is closed that leaves what oldcut and matina shores open for the entire unit ??

keepen'er afloat is always better than sinkin.

20 Balsam Trail, RR 1
Port Rowan, Ontario
Canada, N0E 1M0

December 10, 2008

Re: Long Point Waterfowl Unit

Dear Mr. J. Malcolm:

I am writing to you regarding some suggestions to improve the Long Point Waterfowl Unit and the hunting experience at the unit.

I started waterfowl hunting at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit in 1978 ... Blind 42 ... bagging 1 drake pintail on my first day ... I was hooked!

My second waterfowl hunting trip was to Presqu'ile Provincial Park (which had a controlled waterfowl hunt) about a week later ... Blind 17 ... bagging a goose ... now I was really hooked!

At the time, I was living in Mississauga and so traveling southwest to the Long Point Waterfowl Unit or east to Presqu'ile Provincial Park required a 2 1/4 hour drive for me either way.

From 1978 to 1986 I alternated my waterfowl hunting between the Long Point Waterfowl Unit and Presqu'ile Provincial Park although I did check out several other waterfowl hunting locations. None of these other locations compared to these two favourite spots.

However in 1987 I started to limit my waterfowl hunting only to Presqu'ile Provincial Park for the following reasons:

1) Other than for Saturdays ... the controlled waterfowl hunt at Presqu'ile Provincial Park had changed to a "self serve" system eliminating the need for waterfowl hunters to wait in line for the park attendant to arrive and register them. We would simply arrive at the park the night before (overnight camping was permitted) or in the early morning ... register our names, vehicle licence plate numbers and our blind choices in a book located at the waterfowl office ... deposit our small game licences and daily blind fees (envelopes provided) into a locked "drop box" and then head out to the blinds. Before leaving we would return to the waterfowl office to record our ducks, present our migratory bird permits and recover our small game licences. This was fast, effecient and cost saving as the park attendant came in at 0900 hours rather than at 0500 hours. The controlled waterfowl hunt eventually became totally "self serve" except for opening day without any problems.

2) The controlled waterfowl hunt at Presqu'ile Provincial Park had no reservations ... it was a "first come first serve" system. I have heard a few complaints about the reservation system at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit and some waterfowl hunters no longer hunt the waterfowl unit due to the reservation system. I can understand having a few reservations for Saturdays early in the season but during the week everyone who comes to the Long Point Waterfowl Unit can get a blind. I do not think that there is a real need for the reservation system ... we do not have it on opening day so why bother during the rest of the season ... especially during the week!

3) The office at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit would open at 0400 hours (to accommodate a larger group of waterfowl hunters) which provided an opportunity to register everyone with sufficient time left over for us to get out to the blinds prior to "shooting time". However ... the office would open at 0500 hours later in the season which made it difficult for some of us to get out to the blinds prior to "shooting time" ... especially considering that we "lost" an hour with the time change at the end of October.

4) There was a better chance of getting a "good" blind at Presqu'ile Provincial Park than at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit due to fewer hunters ... especially during the week.

I moved to Port Rowan in October of 2004 and I resumed waterfowl hunting at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit in November of that year. However ... the office at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit would now open at 0500 hours initially and at 0600 hours later in the season compounding the problem described in (3) above. Furthermore ... there would now be eight (8) reservations per day rather than the previous five (5) reservations per day.

Consequently ... I am requesting that the following suggestions be considered for the 2009 waterfowl season:

1) A "self serve" system be initiated at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit as described above for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

2) The current reservation system at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit be terminated for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

3) The current "line up" system at the Long point Waterfowl Unit be continued for Saturdays with the office opening at 0400 hours initially and at 0500 hours later in the season.

4) The current reservation system at the Long Point Waterfowl Unit be continued for Saturdays with a limit of five (5) reservations per day.

Please note that these suggestions would not apply to the Goose Blinds that are currently on a separate reservation system.

Finally ... I would like to address the issue of the garbage ... including spent hulls ... being left at the blind sites. I do not mind routinely picking up several spent hulls in and around a blind that may have been previously missed by hunters. However ... I was very disappointed by the amount of garbage that I encountered at several blind sites this past season ... broken chair, candy bar wrappers, coffee cup, flash light, gloves, juice containers, pop cans, rope, styrofoam cup and water bottles. Then there were the spent hulls ... not just 10, 20, 30 or 40 but 75, 88, 95 and 244 at separate blind sites.

There was a similar problem at Presqu'ile Provincial Park several years ago and we corrected it by simply having hunters check out their garbage upon their return to the waterfowl office. There was also a notice posted that garbage ... including spent hulls ... were subject to a $100.00 fine per item left behind at a blind site. Perhaps we could initiate a Memorandum of Understanding that every hunter would sign upon registration for their first hunt of the season. By signing this Memorandum of Understanding all hunters would acknowledge that spent hulls are considered garbage and that they agree to remove all visible garbage (not just their garbage) from the blind site prior to leaving.

I trust that I have not offended anyone but I thought that these suggestions would improve the quality of the hunting experience for everyone.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

I am following up on a question that was posted regarding how soon can an individual pick a blind under the "Self Serve" system.

At Presqu'ile the registration book was put out at 1630 hours the day before. An individual could register for the next day hunt providing that they were no longer still hunting at that time (this would obviously only apply on Friday afternoons regarding a registration for the Saturday hunt). The individual would also have to remain within the park over night. You were however permitted to go to Brighton to have supper.

I realize that Long Point Provincial park will be close for this "Self Serve" portion of the season but this is how it worked at Presqu'ile.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I checked out the "self serve" system at the park yesterday afternoon as I thought of going out today. I think that they got the "self serve" system "right" on their first attempt.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks