LPWA Crown Marsh Rehab Funding

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
SIMCOE REFORMER NEWS RELEASE - SEE LINK BELOW
Some time ago the LPWA membership decided that the creation of large roosting ponds in the Crown Marsh should be a priority. As most will know, the LPWA has been very successful at attracting grants for this purpose. This has been largely thanks to our great partners at MNR who have made Canada/Ontario Agreement (COA) funding available to us.
In anticipation of OMNR facing huge constraints and the possibility that COA may not continue, LPWA looked to other funding sources and last year, those of you who attended the 2012 spring meeting will know we received a grant from a US agency under their Sustain Our Great Lakes (SOGL) program. For the LPWA to apply for that grant, we were required to be incorporated and we have tried hard to avoid doing that because of the cost and effort, both for the initial filing and the annual reporting requirements.
In the case of the SOGL grant application, the Long Point World Biosphere Reserve Foundation (LPWBRF) was also applying for a grant so we combined the requests because it made both applications stronger and because LPWBRF are incorporated.
This year, we applied to the Province's Great Lakes Community Guardian Fund and again were told that only incorporated groups can apply. Our LPWBRF partners again offered to apply on our behalf and we are very pleased to report that $25,000 is earmarked for Crown Marsh rehabilitation. This work will occur in 2013. Please see the attached link to an article in the Simcoe Reformer.
http://www.simcoereformer.ca/2012/12/17/long-point-wetlands-getting-much-needed-help

We also wish to report to members that we are seeking and hopeful permission will be granted, to do pond and channel maintenance in the areas of the marsh we hunt. We recently held an open meeting to hear from members where they thought this should be done. It is important to note that all of the Crown Marsh restoration work that has been done to date has been paid for with funding grants made for those projects. This pond and channel maintenance will be paid for by the LPWA.
Please speak with any of the LPWA directors if you have any questions about these projects. You can also ask for a copy of the meeting minutes if you are a member.

That's great news!

The article spoke of doing something about the phragmites. I was informed the other day that other marshes spray them to keep them at bay. I that the plan or do they have other measures in the works?

Jello, you would have to ask the folks involved with hands on phragmites control. As far as I know the Roundup type sprays are not approved for use in the Crown Marsh. In the past a dozer has used to recreate open marsh in areas that are approved for rehab.
quote:
Originally posted by Jello

That's great news!

The article spoke of doing something about the phragmites. I was informed the other day that other marshes spray them to keep them at bay. I that the plan or do they have other measures in the works?

Duck Soup is right that Roundup, Rodeo, etc., are not approved for use over water in Canada. Even if they were, using a dozer, although more expensive in the short term, is a better approach because it not only removes the phrags, it instantly creates new open water habitat. Spraying has to be done at least every other year to keep the phrags from coming back, but the dozed ponds should stay open for many years especially if water levels were to increase.

Anyway, who'da thunk that those nasty old birdwatchers/naturalists would ever team up with a bunch of duck killers to restore wildlife habitat? I'll bet that FOCAC didn't ( hat tip to Fiddlesticks for that one! ).:0

OKay ! Great ! So now we have even more money in the war chest. When are we going to spend it ? If Grainger can't do it all in time we should hire Allen too ! Two shovels digging makes more sense to me and yes I know scrapping ponds is the perferred method but they have a tendancey to dry up.

if you can do it and not get caught you will be the man, use extra so there is a big pond when your done haha

As some will know, when the LPWMU was set-up in 1961, water levels were very low -- much lower than now. So Lands and Forests created a bunch of ponds, but they didn't use dynamite, they used the old standby: Fertilizer and diesel. Many of those (rectangular) ponds are still holding water.

The Oldest Old Cut Long Pointer may have been here to hear some of the explosions, which apparently rattled windows in Port Rowan.

I imagine that to use fertilizer and diesel now there would be broken windows on most of the cottages .Back then there were far fewer cottages with smaller windows that most places were covered with wooden shutters.
I know ours had the wooden shutters as well as most others on Old Cut .
But that would be a great way to put some ponds right north of our cottage between #15,16 and #18 blind as well as towards #19.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks