Low water steelheading question

Speedy Turtle

Really been pounding the water the last few days and only managed one small steelhead. Water has been really low the last few months. I'm assuming the fish still trickle through even with lack of rain? Mostly have been fishing the lower ends of a creek. Is fishing much better years where there's been adequate flow or should there be quite a few fish since it's already late November? Can anyone provide some insight on this?

it’s been a Difficult year so far with low and clear water Conditions . I’m hoping we get some rain and things will start to pick up

It’s incredible how well these fish blend into their surroundings. It pays to sneak up to spots you plan to fish. Knowing the likely spots they hang out helps. It’s also pretty cool when you sneak up on a run and watch the fish come out and smash your offering before the float even drops. One tactic I use when things are low is to really use my eyes to scan the water while walking slowly along the banks. Often you will spot fish sometimes in groups taking a break in the shallow flats and they will very often take the bait in the first cast or two if like Stick says you remain stealthy. A good pair of glasses is obviously a must.

Pretty hard to do with a spinning rod. Usually alot of weeds along the edge so I have to get close to the water. Might give the float rod a try tomorrow though
Use the shadows of trees or if you have to crawl up to a spot do it. And don't be in a hurry to make that first cast. The less movement the better. You have to become a part of their environment. A spooked fish is much harder to get than one that is at ease.

Use the shadows of trees or if you have to crawl up to a spot do it. And don't be in a hurry to make that first cast. The less movement the better. You have to become a part of their environment. A spooked fish is much harder to get than one that is at ease.
ahhh words of wisdom from the master (y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks