Low water levels Cause?

Duxbware

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Where the **** did the water go? What causes it to go down as it has? I know winds can play a big part in it, but overall lake level down 1.5 to 2ft?

Good question ! So many things to factor into that question, rainfall or the lack thereof, water consumption, weather/winds ? The level normally drops every Fall and the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers shows as of October 14th Lake Erie at 9 inches above long-term average. My guess is it will get lower yet and bottom out in December as per usual.

Yes. I read that cold air on warm lake evaporated water rapidly. We can only hope for big rains to keep her up for us I guess.

Hello OCLP,

Could that ("9 inches above long-term average") be an mistake?

I think maybe "9 inches below long-term average" would be more accurate ... crap ... I cannot even launch my kayak off my seawall ... ahh ... "mudwall" right now.

Thank you for the report ... at least no chance of flooding this fall.

Jerome

Hello OCLP,

Could that ("9 inches above long-term average") be an mistake?

I think maybe "9 inches below long-term average" would be more accurate ... crap ... I cannot even launch my kayak off my seawall ... ahh ... "mudwall" right now.

Thank you for the report ... at least no chance of flooding this fall.

Jerome
I don't think it is a mistake.

I Was along the lake superior coast last month between the Sault and thunderbay.
All tributaries looks very low compared to last few years. Many creeks not even flowing into the lake.
I’m not sure what amount of rainfall northern ontario got this summer. But looks like it couldn’t have been much.
My well here in Hamilton has ran dry, first time in over 20 years. It’s 40’ deep and I usually have 6-9’ in it this time of year.

I agree Erie’s is still above long term average tho. Our duck boat used to hit bottom in the boat house in November, when I first starting duck hunting long point. Still got a ways to drop before that happens this year.

Definitely a drier year than normal. When operating the backhoe or excavator many times this summer I ran into soil that was bone dry and rock hard while other areas had soil that was practically dust. Very few rain days for us this year too.

Then there’s the local drainage (man made creek) that’s never been dry before, 2 acre pond behind the house that’s now just a big puddle, and some smaller ponds nearly dried up.

Walking the Grand yesterday many of my usual spots for smallies are dry.

We need rain. Bad.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks